mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Looking for recommendations: Camelback/Tannersville loop

A few of the DirtBrothers are heading out for a "sick day" ride this Friday and were thinking about Camelback mountain / Big Pocono SP / Tannersville. We normally ride Wissahickon, French Creek, Jim Thorpe, etc. and would like some guidance on a good loop (and map!) of the mountain bikeng available in the Tannersville area. We love technical riding, so don't be afraid to suggest those types of loops. We all ride hardtails (some rigid SS, some geared rigid, some front sus rigid) on all of our normal rides.

We'd prefer not to waste the day looking for good trails, so any input from the MTBR community is appreciated.

Is there any way to get the map from The Loft in electronic format? Anyone scanned it in?

If you've got knowledge of these trails and would like to guide us around, let me know!

Thanks for your recommendations!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How about directions to the trail head? Where is the best place to start?

I know the locals are out there. I'm just asking for a bit of information so that we don't end up riding in circles.

Eleven - it's one louder
    I used to live in that area years ago and wish I could remember the trails better. One of my favorites was an area called the Devil's Hole - thick woods, steep climbs, stream crossings. There are also some good trails on Camelback Mountain. There was actually a NORBA points series race on Camelback in '89. I raced in Novice but there were top pros there - Tomac, Tinker, Ned. Cool era of mountain biking. I probably have some old pics I can post if anyone wants to see them. As I recall, Tobyhanna Park had little to offer MTB-wise. Sorry I can't be of more help!
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sounds like a good time! I'm sure it was nuts to have a NORBA race in NEPA. Hopefully some of the current locals will chime in with the goods.

Old school pics would be cool to see. Post 'em up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A good topo with gps trail map.

http://www.bikerag.com/mountain%20bi...%20reviews.htm

Some of these are double track width, but you will also find single track mixed in. You can tell by the topo where the more challenging section are!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the map, ricxcs. I think we will use this and the map from The Loft and see what happens. Still not 100% sure it's going to be worth it, but adventure is part of the thrill of MTBing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    JST169,

I really wish I could help tell you where to go but I have only been to camelback twice. So I will share both stories.

The first ride me and a buddy went, we stopped at the Loft and got a map and thought we were good. Well after about 1 1/2hrs of riding boring fire road type trails we found what we believed to be cool technical single track. We began to go down these trails which were fun, but the problem was we ended up going down the side of the mountain and ended up a very very very long ways from the car.

The second ride we managed to go with someone who new the trails and he took us on a very fun and nice ride that featured some great single track, without going down the mountain.

So what I am saying, and the Loft will tell you this. Be very careful, becuase if you end up going to far left or right you will go down the mountain and not even realize it and it is really terrible getting back up.

I wish I could be more help but I did want to let you know what I experienced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There seem to be several of the "I got lost" type stories about riding there. We may just go to Jim Thorpe and do some exploring...or just do the Broad Mountain trails that we're familiar with.

mtbr member
    don't know what time your riding friday but theres a regular group ride that goes out fridays at 6 - super fun stuff up there!
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    PM'd you this morning about riding

Eleven - it's one louder

Smile blast from the past!

OK DirtBrothers, here is your mission! I found the map from the 1989 NORBA race on Camelback Mountain. It's on legal-sized paper so I had to scan it as two separate files. The race started with a downhill, which was funny since the racers were nervous and not warmed up and there were many endos on that first downhill. My girlfriend at the time was clearly not a great photographer but got one shot of me prepping my mighty '88 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo and one shot post-race (I got 5th in novice) but she was most fascinated by the mud pit. I included a bunch of these shots. I think we did 3 laps and the exterts/pros 5 laps but not sure. Can't find any pics of the pros, but have some of Tomac and Tinker from the NORBA race in Mt. Vernon, NJ a few months later. May post them later. Enjoy!

So, DirtBrothers, there's your ride for this weekend if you dare!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackracemap3.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackracemap4.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace1.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace2.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace3.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace4.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace5.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace7.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace8.jpg  

Looking for recommendations:  Camelback/Tannersville loop-camelbackrace9.jpg  

Last edited by BigBadConrad; 05-20-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous