mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Looking for places to ride

Alright everyone I have been away from the philly area for awhile now and will be there for a week and wanted to know if there where any new places to ride. I know of the old standard places (Blue Marsh, Wissahickon sp?, French Creek, Spring Mountain, Bear Creek, and Green Lane) Let me know if there are any others and or any new trails at these places that I can't miss riding. Plus I can't decide on what bike I shoould bring my hardtail or my DH rig. The DH rig really sucks for the climbing but it's so much fun when you get to the top if I can still breath. So I'm leaning towards the hardtail. My riding time will be limited with the wife and kids being out there with me so I really want to get the most bang for the buck.

Its only 1" on the map!
    I'm interested as well. I digging through this forum with search feature, sifting through all the info. I'm a SoCal MTB Guy but I have just recently accepted a position with a company that is HQ'd in Philly so I'm expecting 2-3 visits a year to the area. My first visit might be as early as August. Had a bike box for a long time now, so I'm ready to go.

mtbr member
    You didn't mention how long you've been away from the area, but Wissahickon still rocks (no pun intended). The trails have recieved a lot a maintenance and been have been cleaned up some, but are still just as fun and technical as ever. Theirs a few little stunt sections around but I think a DH bike would be a killer if you wanted to do a somewhat long ride. You also have White Clay/Middle Run in Deleware. It's probabaly about 40-45 minutes from Philly but well worth the ride. It's fast and flowy. Theirs lots of posts about it in the DE forum. You could even bring your wife and kids there to ride if you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool I'll have to look into that one. My riding partner is from the Allentown area so I think with the cost of gas I would have to do the Delaware one on my own or with my 8yr. old who is rocking the trails in the midwest with me. I have been gone for about 4 yrs. I left when the Spring Mount DH series was ending. I was wondering what Jim Thorpe is like these days as well. It's good to here the trails have recieved the maintence that they so very much needed. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If your going to consider White Clay and Middle Run as an option, you should also throw Fair hills into the pot. It is in on the Maryland, PA, Delaware border. The park is a sprawling beautiful countryside chock full of tight, twisty single track. It dwarfs White Clay and adds a real sense of exploration. I've ridden the trail a dozen times and have seen only a fraction of what they have to offer. Nothing too technical or exhausting, but if you look hard enough you will find a few nice decents and drops. It's mostly just miles and miles of beautiful single track. I've heard that there are close to 80 miles worth. Definately some of the best riding around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    bring your dh bike to reading on mt.penn ,we meet at the tower at 1:00 sunday for shuttles . bring 5.00 for gas and your in

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Downingtown Area - Don't Miss it

Don't miss out on the improvements in the Downingtown area. Marsh Creek has seen a recent resurgence, with 4 or 5 new trails going up this past spring / summer season including a great trail that connects the boat ramp on the west side of the lake to the dam on the east side. Eliminates the need to ride the access road to the dam.

With the recent opening of the old Sonoco property to legal riding, and lots of maintanence because of it, it makes for some great riding out that way.

An great w/e ride is to start at the Marsh Creek boat launch, head out to the dam, complete a loop around the east side, then follow the Struble up to Downingtown, up Skelp Level Road and hit the Sonoco property for a 7 mile loop, then back to Marsh Creek. Total of about 25 - 30 miles, about half is the trip back and forth between parks. Great training ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    is mt penn xc-able? also...is it hours of riding or a short thing??

weve never been there....its only of the only places in the area ive actually not even heard of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    any good maps of fair hill. have been there for races and was fine. have been there on my own and got totally lost and rode lots of farm miles...not so much singletrak....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There is a map at the ranger station. I never use it. Getting lost is part of the fun. There are so many spurs and hidden gems that are not on the map anyway. I'm up there quite frequently. If you ever need someone to show you a few good trails...