Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007

looking for people to ride with in philly burbs

hey whats up. im pretty new to mtb. i used to ride bmx for years so im familar with riding. i just got a trek fuel ex8 and put about 50 miles on it. ive been riding the trails behind swarthmore college and following them into smedley park. ive only ever been by myself so i'd be interested in knowing the best ways through those trails and even other local places to ride. i live in glenolden delaware county and im 27/married.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yo man, welcome. I live in springfield but ride just about anywhere. I actually didn't even know there were trails behind swarthmore college. How many miles are back there?

I usually ride up in glen mills after work a couple times a week and on the weekends I try to hit up white clay down in newark early in the AM. There's also some trails behind cardinal o'hara but I havent been back there since high school.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007

swarthmore rocks

i just went to the ohara/don guanella trails last week. i kind of got lost but still had a good time. i never knew they were there. theres alot of doubles for bmxers and some cool creek crossings. swarthmore is definatly more challenging and now that i found how it connects with smedley park its even better. i rode this sunday and did about 8 miles back there but when i got into smedley there was alot of different ways to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm interested... I'm in the Yardley/Newtown Area... There are a few trails around thqat I ride a bunch... Core Creek State park, Mercer County Park, Ralph Stovers / High Rock....

Have bike, have Jeep, will travel....

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I am in Newtown Square and riding when I can. Betzwood is another choice. I will be moving about 2 miles from the Glen Mills track. Hope that bridge opens back up soon, will be easier to ride there.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    how far is betzwoods from glenolden and is it worth the drive when swarthmore is 10 min away? how does it compare? i definatley want to find new places to ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

pssstttt

ridley creek at night.... be cool.... tell no one.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    i hike at ridley and always thought it would be awsome to ride there but its posted no biking everywhere

mtbr member
    I see the Swarthmore trails from the train trestle every day but never knew how to get into them. It looks like there are trails on both sides of the tracks. I've dropped into Smedley park from the back along Beatty Road, where it crosses over the blue route, but have never really explored back there. Perhaps you can give me a tour sometime.

I ride in Bonner Park/The Quarry after work but at this time of year it's all night riding for me during the week. Bonner Park is a lot of hill work but there is a payoff for every hill you climb. I am definitely biased when it comes to Bonner Park as I grew up in the place. Fach has ridden with me there and can give you a more honest opinion. Bonner park is small so you need to do a few loops to ride even an hour.

I like to get out to Betzwood and Bambi X (the trail along the river on the VF side) on the weekends every once in awhile. It's a pretty flat trail for the most part but there are some nice creek crossings every once in a while. There are some good trails back there but some of them are off limits to bikes.

I used to go out to South Campus in West Chester every once in a while. It was like "Bonner light" and also requires laps to make it worthwhile.

Brandywine Park in DE is another close option for you.

Skip Don Guanella.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I might be up for a Sunday afternoon ride if anyone wants to get out.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    I'm up for a Sunday ride. Luckily the Eagles are on the bye week. However, being the fantasy football loser that I am, I still would like to get a chance to catch some games. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the earlier the better. (11 a.m. maybe?) My Betzwood knowledge is limited to the trails that the legendary mtbr.com poster Chip showed me back in the day. Perhaps somebody wants to give me a tour? Otherwise, you name the time and place. Besides my fantasy football addiction causing me problems on Sunday I am pretty flexible.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    i can usually get out and ride every night after 4:00 during the week, and most weekends. unfortunatley not this weekend. im working out in westchester all weekend. i dont know much about technical but i would say that swarthmore is. some hard climbs with obsticles, some logs and that sort of stuff. last week i did a nice endo over a log that i usually get over. its at the beggining of the trail and i'll just say i was'nt warmed up yet.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Normally, earlier is better for me too, but I have someone coming over Sunday AM so I can mount some skis. Plus my son is home from college and want to spend what little time he is willign to spend with us, with him. I could do Betzwood say 2ish. Never been to the trails in Swarthmore, would be willing to do that instead.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fach
    white clay down in newark early in the AM.
    A must do for any mountain biker in the area. I usually ride Brandywine due to proximity to my house, but love getting over to white clay whenever possible. FAST, smooth, rolling, tight, single trick, WITH a skills park!

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I will be at Betzwood at 2:00 on Sunday. I will be in a Silver Subaru Wagon w/ Gray Trek Liquid.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Glen Mills ???

Where are there trails in Glen Mills?
    Sir Dabs-alot

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Where are there trails in Glen Mills?
    west chester riders

Short but sweet.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Forget Don Guinella. If you're going to ride in Delaware County, ride Swarthmore. Its a nice loop with some very technical sections.

I used to ride Ridley at night. If you do, turn your lights off if you have to cross the paved trail to connect up to other trails. The Rangers drive around the circle at night on patrol

There is a Delaware County MTB group. Take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/group/trail-junkies?hl=en

They post up alot of Swarthmore rides after work, which this time of year are night rides mostly. They also ride some of the other local popular places.

Get someone who knows the trails to show you Betzwood. We cant typically piece together a ride that is anywhere between 15-17 miles.

I'd like to join a Glen Mills ride. I didnt know there were trails there.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007

ride at night

i never rode a trail at night. swarthmore is challenging enough in daylight. i suppose they sell a headlight for the bike. do they allow you to see far enough ahead of you?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Go to any LBS or www.nashbar.com or www.performancebike.com and take a look at lighting systems.

Night riding is a skill in itself. Trails you know cold in the day are entirely new trails at night.

Generally, you can get by with a handle-bar mounted light. However, I strongly recommend a handlebar mounted light complimented by a helmet mounted light. The helmet light allows the light to go where ever your eyes go, which is great when your turning and cornering.

And dont purchase a small commuter light. You want a high-powered LED or halogen system with a dedicated lead acid battery. If your light runs on AA batteries, its not going to be powerful enough for the trails.

You want something that unfortunately is going to start above the $100 mark. Some of the newer LED systems can cost upwards of $400+. No one ever said night riding was cheap.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    it does'nt seem like anything about mountain biking is cheap. i just purchased my bike about a month ago. i did'nt think about shoes, tubes, pumps, water bottles, bike rack, and now a head light. my wife still has'nt forgiven me about the bike purchase yet. she was expecting a couple hundred not a couple thousand. im starting to think my snowboarding habit was cheaper. at least theres no lift tickets and only a short ride to the trails. gas is $$ too. can you say hemi? hey what about a helmet?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah its not a cheap sport. If you want a cheap sport try running. I spend $100 for a pair shoes every six months.

You definately need a helmet. You will fall. Its not a matter of if you will, but when you will fall. And odds are good that when you fall, you're going to go over the handlebars. Get a helmet.

There are two things that I will not skimp on when it comes to cycling: a helmet and shorts. The two things I value most in my life are my brain and my nutz.

I wouldnt concern yourself with night riding at this point. Riding the trails around here in the daylight is hard enough for a beginner. Get comfortable on the bike, get comfortable on the bike, then think about dropping $$$ on the lights.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    shorts?

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Night riding is indeed a blast.

I might be up for a Sunday AM 10/16 ride. Any suggestions?
    Click. Point. Chute.

Trek fuel ex8
    Sep 2007
    i feel as though im doing pretty good on my bike. its definatley not as easy to throw around as my old bmx bike. but im getting it. i could sure use some more strenth in my legs. the clipless pedals made it alot easier to climb, and it was nice that they broke away when i flipped over my bars with a log jump attept a couple weeks back at swarthmore. its cool though i got that sucker on the way out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast