mtbr member
    May 2006

Looking for a new ride

Hey everyone, havn't owned a bike in about 3 years.
    And i'm looking for something new. Can anyone recommend any good bike shops around here? I'm located in Mcadoo. Its south of Hazleton. I guess I'm looking for anywhere from here to wilkes, bloom, pottsville, and maybe up to scranton or even down to allentown...

Or maybe someone is looking to sell theirs? I was looking online at ***** sporting goods, which is ideal because I dont have a ton of money. But I'm pretty sure the bike wouldnt last that long for the places I enjoy riding.... I was told that even putting $150-$200 more into any bike would be a good idea. Basically I was looking at the diamond backs, and then next thing I know.. I'm looking at Specialized RockHoppers and Stump Jumpers.

I would love to buy a used Specialized off of anyone. I dont need the newest bike either...
    Looking to spend $600 or under..

I like all around trails, and the occasional downhill. The more rocky the better, but nothing that I need to jump from one rock to another. -.- I heard the 7 tubs is great on the upper trail, so maybe something that would be ideal for that type of terrain.. Although I'm not familiar with that place at all...

-Andy

wounded knee
    I bought my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Disc for $620.00 thats right in your price range, it is a hardtail.
    I have rode it up Moon Lake, Frances Slocum, 7 Tubs, hasn't let me down yet.
    Here's where I got mine, very nice to deal with.
    AROUND TOWN BICYCLES INC.
    R59 N MAIN ST
    WILKES BARRE, PA 18701 US
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was just looking at that bike... never rode a 29er. Heard you either love it or hate... Thanks for the info.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay4141
    I was just looking at that bike... never rode a 29er. Heard you either love it or hate... Thanks for the info.
    I really don't have much to compare it to, just started riding hard core trails recently, I will say this about it, the bottomn bracket is low, and took a little getting used to, I also took off the outer chain ring and that helped in log overs. The 29er does seem to steer a little slower and has a wider arc, but it seems to roll really well.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

banned
    Apr 2009
    There should be law that Anyone over 5'10'' Should be on a 29er

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Pretty much most bikes these days have bottom brackets that are too low, IMO.

At least for our trails.

Cannondale used to make a bike specifically targeted to east coast trails - the Beast of the East, it had 2" more clearance than the rest of the brand.

WRT: 29er - I own one of each, a 29er and a 26er. My 26er is a FS, my 29er is rigid. I ride either pretty much anywhere (not sure I'd take the 29er to a ski resort for downhilling though). Likewise, the 26er probably won't see much rail-trail conversion. However, to me what it comes down to is Does The Bike Fit You.

Go test ride the bike, find out.

I there are more and burlier tire options for 26ers, but that's slowly changing, and there are a number of really good tires for the 29ers so it's not like you're compromising for crud to have the bigger wheel.

The bigger wheels DEFINITELY deal with the rockiness more easily than a 26er of similar width though, and owing to some basic mechanical leverage stuff tend to make it notably harder to go over the bars.

Rolling on 650b
    I used to live in McAdoo. Good shops up in the Wilkes Barre area, but if you head south at all, I'd say go down to Spokes in Hamburg. Great bunch of guys and a good selection. There's some good riding right outside your door. You can loop behind Keylares and over the old Haul Road bridge- that'll take you back into what was Paragon adventure park. There's also good riding in Lofty, on both the north and south sides of the Lofty-Delano road.

Did you ever have ham?

Looking for a new ride

In the Wilkes Barre area check out Around Town Bikes
    http://www.atownbikes.com/

In Kingston/Edwardsville there is Main Bike World
    http://www.mainbikes.com/index.asp

In the Scranton area, check out Cedar Bike!
    http://www.cedarbike.com/

Good Luck and keep us posted as to how your bike shopping goes!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

And clipless I go out there all the time with my friends Jeeps. Awesome riding. The gate at the top of the haul road is closed tho. So we had to go from Humbolt to Lofty, down the pipe lines. =/ never personally road a bike down near lofty, but i bet theres some nice trails.

mtbr member

2nd this suggestion......

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    I bought my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Disc for $620.00 thats right in your price range, it is a hardtail.
    I have rode it up Moon Lake, Frances Slocum, 7 Tubs, hasn't let me down yet.
    Here's where I got mine, very nice to deal with.
    AROUND TOWN BICYCLES INC.
    R59 N MAIN ST
    WILKES BARRE, PA 18701 US
    You would enjoy the bike recommended by dirtrider6. Around Town backs up every sale with excellent service. Happy Riding!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........