Thread: looking to move

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

... and if we just ... looking to move

Im thinking about moving out to PA, any were out there. Some of the areas I was thinking about are; Altoona, Emporium, or Renovo. I know not a thing about these areas my biggest concern is the mtb trails quality quantity. Some kind of a job would be good, I drive a tractor trailer. Any Info or suggestions would be great.

thanks

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Nepa

has lots of great trails and you also have the I-81 corridor which is a major route for 18-wheelers.
    Other advantages are the close proximity to Philly and NYC.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Emporium may provide some riding although more old jeep trail than single track from what Ive heard from a few buddies in the St Marys area although they are finding more stuff to ride. Renovo is probably the same way although there is at least one pretty decent loop up in that area that I know of. Theres not much single track right in or around Altoona but theres good riding at Blue Knob state park about 45 minutes away and the south end of Rothrock state forest at Greenwood furnace state park is about an hour drive. Theres also about 30 miles of single track planned at Raystown Lake, about 30 minutes from Altoona.
    As far as jobs go, local stuff in Emporium and Renovo is about non-existant and Altoona's not alot better. But if you wanted to keep driving tractor trailers, Altoona would probably be your better bet as far as routes go. The most plentiful riding of reasonably well groomed and mapped (although rockey) trails is in the State College area if you are really interested in centralish PA. not much in the way of manufacturing jobs here anymore either but you could probably find some construction work if you were tired of the road.

mtbr member
    Altoona might not be a bad choice, you would still be close to Pittsbugh so job oppourtunities would be decent. Check into Somerset and Westmoreland counties. Both of these counties are close to Pgh and you would have access to plenty of great trails.

Nice no rass
    Wow, I'm busting my ass to get out and there's actually people trying to get in? I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the help, I will need to come out for a ride or two! What loop would you recommend for the best technical riding, and a good bike shop for me to stop at. Itís not worth moving some place that donít got a good bike shop.

I lived in northern NJ for a number of years riding in rockaway, allamuchy, skyline drive, and used to race DH at plattekill, and mt creek. Then moved to WV, spent to little time riding. Now Iím back in NJ, but cant stand all the people, need some elbow room. I have done some riding around jim thorp, nice If you have any other suggestion of where to move in PA, Iíll go for a ride and check it out.

Thanks

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    If you look on a map and find where Interstates 80 and 81 intersect you would find Hazleton. I wouldn't personaly recommend Hazleton as a place to live, but there are many nice areas nearby. There is a booming Industrial Park in the area, with a "possible" cargo airport coming. So trucking jobs are plentiful in this area.

The Mt Biking options in this area are even more plentiful. There are several awesome trails within 30 minutes of Hazleton and even more trails within an hour drive. Some guys in the area are lucky enough to have trails starting in their back yards. I have been riding for 3 year now and I haven't been on all the trails in the area yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Wow, I'm busting my ass to get out and there's actually people trying to get in? I don't get it.

why you trying to get out
    Job, Riding, or Love
    Last edited by scm80; 11-29-2007 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    come on over to the Laurel Highlands man. plenty of trails and not many people, and your not too far out in the sticks (30 min from Pgh), also close to Maryland and WV. check out speedgoat.com, one of the better shops in the area. SW PA is definately under-rated when it comes to riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scm80
    why you trying to get out
    Job, Riding, or Love

I was going to say taxes but then I realized you were from jersey

My in-laws are thinking of getting out also, and if they lose their jobs due to cuts they will most likely be moving out of state. (They are in York)

Taxes are HIGH. Here in the little old state of delaware our taxes are.........

And I can still ride some of the best trails in the area Pa/De/Md.

mtbr member
    State College area is one of if not the fastest growing areas of Pennsylvania as far as population!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks every one! I will check out your suggestions, maybe see you on the trails

mtbr member

Good job! NorthEastPA...............

Another hi five for NEPA. Scranton, WIlkes Barre, Hazelton and their outlying areas have an amazing amount of riding. The area is becoming Distribution Central also....many firms locating here...transportation jobs are growing. Active biking community also....although it is loosely organized. Just visit some of the shops in the area or arrange to ride with some of us NEPA residents through MTBR.Com. Also check out this site....

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com/?cr=5&rfm=y

This is a great group of riders who welcome all riders. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    NEPA Click my signatures. Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by scm80
    Im thinking about moving out to PA, any were out there. Some of the areas I was thinking about are; Altoona, Emporium, or Renovo. I know not a thing about these areas my biggest concern is the mtb trails quality quantity. Some kind of a job would be good, I drive a tractor trailer. Any Info or suggestions would be great.

thanks
    I find many of the places you picked to way out there. Renovo, "WOW nothing there! Lot's of trails for Mt Biking, but you will be alone. I have fished for Trout in all the streams like Left Branch Young Womens Creek, Kettle Creek, Sinnemahoning, Brooks Run, Medix Run in that area and at Alvin Bush dam at Kettle Creek SP and there have been days I never saw another human. Rugged and mountainous. Not a bad thing! Pretty big area. Sproul State Forest is great! We ride ATV's there as well and there is lot's of room for that! Susquehannock SF borders the Sproul. Cross Fork is in the middle of both. They have a motorcycle enduro that I have attended. Also we use a lot of the area for our dual sport rides in the summer. I don't know if you ride motorcycles, but there is lot's to do there if you have those kind of toys. You do have the 62 mile rail trail along Pine Creek near there. Wellsboro, Asaph area is a gem for Mt Biking! Ski Denton has lift service if your into freeriding.
    Emporium is better, Closer to Ridgeway, Saint Marys but I don't think you will find a large community of Mt Bikers there.
    Altoona is a more populated city area! Lot's to do there. Closer to Pittsburg, Ebensburg, Johnstown.
    The Wyoming/Lackawanna Valley has lot's to offer. Much has changed and it is becoming more progressive yet retains it's small town feel here. Lot's of Mt Biking and more to come. In this area you have old school small towns right next to new developments that makes the place different.

Well... Good Luck.. let us know if you come to our area even if it's just for a ride... any of us here in Wyoming or Lackawanna valleys would be glad to show you around.

Jeff... Larry...thanks for the recommendation on the website info link!

Keep on Rockin...

Depends...

The paradox of mountain biking (at least on the East coast) is that the less populated, more "out there"you get, the more wilderness, but less single track.

I live far north of Renovo and Emporium, at the norther edge of the Susquehannock State Forest. The remoteness is great. The woods are massive. But there are only a few of us to maintain the single track. I live 5 minutes from Denton Hill and things are coming along so that is good. I can pretty much ride single track and a few logging roads on my mtb right to the top of Denton.

Personally I'm torn. I came from an area in eastern PA where there is a massive amount of single track; along with a massive amount of trash, traffic, strip malls, pollutioin, cars, etc.

I suppose you can have it all.

Mike