mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Looking for a good weekend ride

My girlfriend and I have been riding now for about a month. We ride only at the Wiss in Philly because it is just a couple of blocks away, but we are looking to change it up. We have been riding the demo trail and forbidden drive to work on our technical skills and endurance. However, the Wiss has some pretty complicated trails that we have attempted and are getting better at, but we are looking to set out and find a trail this weekend that is more our level and different.

I was wondering what parks I could check out that would be good for two beginners like us, with a nice singeltrack? I have heard Valley Forge is not to fond of MTBers so what else would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyC21
    My girlfriend and I have been riding now for about a month. We ride only at the Wiss in Philly because it is just a couple of blocks away, but we are looking to change it up. We have been riding the demo trail and forbidden drive to work on our technical skills and endurance. However, the Wiss has some pretty complicated trails that we have attempted and are getting better at, but we are looking to set out and find a trail this weekend that is more our level and different.

I was wondering what parks I could check out that would be good for two beginners like us, with a nice singeltrack? I have heard Valley Forge is not to fond of MTBers so what else would you recommend?
    Jump on 95 and take the drive to White Clay/Middlerun. It's near Newark and great for beginners and intermediates.

http://www.kencox.net/map/wcc_middlerun_map_1.1.5.pdf

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    If you head as far as Newark you should check Fair Hill. Miles and miles of sweeeeet single track. Some of it can be hard to find and somewhat confusing. Ralph Stover, aka High Rocks, in Bucks County is also very nice. Not as technical than some of the more aggresive sections at the Wiss, but more so than the IMBA sections.

Stay away from VF, there is not really much riding worthwhile and it's very difficult to know what is legal and what is not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Core Creek park has a pretty cool trail which I like to ride a lot.
    Also, Mercer County park is great. I ran my Garamin 305 on our ride at Mercer country park yesterday to map the trail. Here's a link to it.. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3976251

If you're looking for some hills to climb, check out High Rock, Ralph Stover's State Park.

Zip me an IM and I'll send ya my cell number. We can hook up sometime for a ride if you're interested in checking Mercer or Core Creek out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you're looking for a good XC ride, look no farther than Blue Marsh Lake.
    Everything is well marked and it suits all skill levels. You can make the ride as long
    or short as you want. I'd say it's about a 45 minute drive once you get onto 422.
    Hope this was of some help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions, they all sound awesome. I'm not quite sure which one we're going to do, but when we decide I'll post it. If anyone has any other great places in mind post them up.

Thanks again everyone.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

i 2nd shmack's vote for....

Fair Hill
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

PMBA Beer Guy
    Try PennyPack Park also. It's great for beginners. It's on Pine Road in Northeast Philadelphia.

If you were coming from around Roxborough I would take Route 1 North to Grant Ave to Welsh Road to Pine Road.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Danny, I live right near Core Creek and I'm also fairly new to mtb'ing. If you ever want to get together to ride, just let me know, I'll be happy to show you around. It's a smaller park, but it's fun, has a little bit of everything.
    I tried Wiss once so far and those uphills kicked my butt!. I have to build up my strength and endurance before I try riding there again.

Contact me anytime!

Jonathan

mtbr member
    White Clay/ Middle Run is a really fun place to ride. There's also a great trail map out there for this place as well. Nowhere near as technical as Wiss and it has a great flow. Fair Hill is also a great place to ride, the only problem is that it's so big you almost definetly will get lost your first time there. Have fun where ever you go.

out of shape
    ill 3rd core creek, very easy and fun, no major elevation changes, also contact me if ur looking for someone to ride with.

fightnut u down for a ride this week?
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We did the Fair Hill Jamboree and that place is pretty cool. Huge and we surely would have gotten lost without a guide.

The guide was telling us about White Clay and that sounds like a cool place too. Said there were stunts and stuff? Anyone know how many miles are at White Clay? Is the map posted above good enough to get us around? I'm thinking of another road trip, maybe Saturday.

Thanks, Mike

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    If you wanna try Mt. Gretna are PM me. My GF and I could take you on a tour.

mtbr member

garmin

Interesting data on the Mercer ride. Especially the trek across the water! (I saw your clarification).

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzHog
    Core Creek park has a pretty cool trail which I like to ride a lot.
    Also, Mercer County park is great. I ran my Garamin 305 on our ride at Mercer country park yesterday to map the trail. Here's a link to it.. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3976251

If you're looking for some hills to climb, check out High Rock, Ralph Stover's State Park.

Zip me an IM and I'll send ya my cell number. We can hook up sometime for a ride if you're interested in checking Mercer or Core Creek out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Weekend ride

Lackawanna State Park which is just above Scranton has a trail for just about everyone. Tecnical singletrack, downhills, uphills, rock and root gardens. If you don't mind the ride from Philly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Blue Marsh was once voted one of the top ten trails in the country and Mt. Gretna is a great place with few other riders using it. If you decide to go that far north, you should also check out French Creek.

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    We did the Fair Hill Jamboree and that place is pretty cool. Huge and we surely would have gotten lost without a guide.

The guide was telling us about White Clay and that sounds like a cool place too. Said there were stunts and stuff? Anyone know how many miles are at White Clay? Is the map posted above good enough to get us around? I'm thinking of another road trip, maybe Saturday.

Thanks, Mike
    White Clay is excellent. There are some great maps and pictures here:

http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=29

Pictures of the skills trail are here:

http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=12&fi...ls_trail_2007/

They've also added quite a few stunts in the adjoining Middle Run nature area. It's smaller than Fair Hill but you can still ride for 4-6 hours without repeating sections. Fast, swoopy goodness.

ETA: Some more pictures in this other thread:

1st Trip to White Clay Creek, Newark, DE
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson