mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Looking for epic rides in Southern/Southeastern PA

Hi Guys, I am looking for a few spots around Southern to Southeastern PA for a few full day rides. I want to use some vacation time day tripping around and am looking for locations I can spend a few hours riding (4-6hrs). I am located in Towson, MD, but willing to travel around 2 hrs to get to trail head. Shoot me an email @ snowhoss@yahoo.com or post reply on board. Thanks!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Lake Redman will provide 4-6 hours of riding, especially if its your first time there. It's in York County.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhoss
    Hi Guys, I am looking for a few spots around Southern to Southeastern PA for a few full day rides. I want to use some vacation time day tripping around and am looking for locations I can spend a few hours riding (4-6hrs). I am located in Towson, MD, but willing to travel around 2 hrs to get to trail head. Shoot me an email @ snowhoss@yahoo.com or post reply on board. Thanks!
    Hello,

The two places that I know of that have the trail mileage for full day rides are Middle Run, (White Clay Creek State Park in DE/PA) and Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area.

Check out http://www.trailspinners.org/ for maps and more info.

stumpjumper2008
    If you did both sides of the park, French Creek State Park could easily give you four solid hours of riding. I would park at the office and do the west side (Turtle Trail) and go around the campgrounds to pick up the trails up to Miller's Point. The trails that are closed to bikes are marked on the park map.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn near Reading, PA can give you a good four hours or more, depending on your speed and your willingness to explore the path less traveled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Michuax for sure, just don't get lost. Lake Redman not really 4-6 hour thing unless you do the full loop twice. I just did a full loop last week in 2:12 for a total of just over 15 miles. It is still a good ride though.

I'd Rather be Doping
    Aug 2006
    I second Michaux - just be ready for rocks1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thanks guys

I think I will be headed to Michaux tomorrow! Let's hope the weather holds out

The White Jeff W
    Should be perfect weather for riding Full ride report tonite, please!

Today: Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 64. North wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 60. Northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming northeast around 6 mph.
    No moss...

HopHeads, Unite!
    snowhoss--remember it's hunting season--first day of deer muzzleloader is Saturday--wear something bright! we might see you in the woods--what are you riding and where are you planning to start?
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ride Update

First, thanks to all the guys who replied to my initial post. I now have more than enough places to ride this fall.

Well, let me first say the day didn't really pan out as I had thought. After I got home from work Thursday night I was on the computer working until 1:45 am. Needless to say I did not get up as early as I had planned. Left the house around 9:30 and made it to Gettysburg Bike Shop just before 11:30. Nice drive from Baltimore, hardly any traffic and the scenery was beautiful, farms, colorful skyline, etc. Temps were somewhere near 50-55 that morning and the skies were definetely clear. While in the bike shop I asked one of the techs for the low-down on Michaux and where he suggests I attack. His suggestion was to head out 116 to Cold Spring Dr and head to the top of the mountain, there I would find parking and a trail head.

So I drove out of Gettysburg and 10 miles later I was alone in a parking lot atop a mountain, east coast mountain. Later did I find out that this is not where I originally had planned on riding, I had thought that I was on the otherside of Pine Grove Furnace or Caledonia State Park and not some completely other mountain. Whatever, make lemonade right?

My first impression was to follow the snowmobile path across the street from the parking lot. Following this trail downhill until it ended at High Rock Rd. I continued down High Rock looking for other trails and couldn't find any so I turned around and head back to the parking lot to start over. I typically take my blackberry and use the GPS to assist in trail spotting and locating landmarks, but for some reason it was taking forever to get a signal. So once back to my car I started down what I now know to be Teaberry Rd and after 30yards found a nice, not very noticable, singletrack path. This is what I was looking for, twisty, rocky, Pennsylvania Single Track. I rode this trail until it ended at what appeared to be a mud bogg or Jeep trail. I explored around the area and when I could not find where the single track started again I turned around and head back to the parking lot, this time using Teaberry Rd the whole way back. Once back at the parking lot I noticed what appeared to be a fire road/access road slightly further down Cold Spring than Teaberry Rd so I checked it out and ended up riding this double wide fire road all the way back to the Jeep trail/mud bogg pit. Once I realized where I was I didn't want to take the nciely gravelled Teaberry Rd back up so I opted for the singletrack that I had previously decended to get to this point earlier in the day. I enjoyed the technicality of the rock sections, really made me plan my approach and worked my balance and the leaves covering most of the trail kept me focused on the trail. So back at my car again I decided I would ride around on the Fire Break. From the parking lot I crossed Cold Spring Dr, went through the woods and hung a right on the Fire Break. Two road crossings and the fastest speed to date on my Rush I was at the bottom of what appears now to be a big mistake. See, I thought that I could cruise down this little hill and simply put my legs and lungs to the test and climb back up, but my body had other plans. Once at the bottom, defined by the stream crossing, I turned around and thought to myself "Go back up that or continue forward progess?" I opted for continued forward progress. Crossed the stream and prepared myself for what I believe is the steepest climb I have attempted to date. Got about half way when the engine seized and I stopped dead on the hill. So I dropped my pack, removed my helmet and rested against my bike and the hill and spent the next 20 minutes soaking up the view and recharging the batteries. After this recharge I continued up the hill, this time hike-a-bike style, looking for a quick exit back to Cold Spring and eventually the parking lot. Once at the top of this hill I didn't notice another road for as far i could see. Again I contimplated, "Go back or continue forward progress?", this time I said "Screw it, I'm heading back". Thankfully I didn't go any further because I would have seen what i thought was Cold Spring Dr, but in reality and proven by Google Maps, was really a completely different road that would not have taken me back to my car and who knows where I would have ended up. So I headed back downhill, crossed the stream and cursed the decision to descend nearly a mile downhill. Made it to the first road crossing while ascending, second road crossing when decending, and hopped on the road for a 2 miles uphill ride to the parking lot. As I pedaled into the parking lot I took my last sip of Frost flavored Gatorade from my Camelback and called it a day.

Spend about 2.5hours riding and only covered 12 miles. My original plans called for me to arrive around 9 and ride until 1, but my day was cut short due to the late night the night before. I will return, next time with a map, more gatorade and more time to burn. Thanks again to all the guys to pointed me to this area I appreciate it.

HopHeads, Unite!
    snowhoss--Glad you had a decent time in spite of not finding that honeyhole of singletrack. Google "mountain bikers of michaux" to find their blog--they list pretty dependable group rides on it--at least Thursdays and Sundays. They'll hook you up with some trails. Or PM me next time you're looking to come to the area. Michaux can be kinda unforgiving to people who don't know the trails, unfortunately.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pspwesty
    Lake Redman not really 4-6 hour thing unless you do the full loop twice. I just did a full loop last week in 2:12 for a total of just over 15 miles. It is still a good ride though.
    Impressive. I still can't do it that fast, and we ride there all the time (I live in York). Cimbing Trail 7 is a ***** either way you ride it, at least it is to me. I still have to hike it in several places. Is the creek at the bottom of the north tunnel still dammed up a bit at the bottom? (haven't done the big loop in a while) I got a wet surprise the last time there (after heavy rains). Apparently, either the rains pushed the rocks, or YAMBA or someone, dammed the creek and a pool formed at the bottom. We came blasting through the tunnel into 2.5 feet of water.

The White Jeff W
    If you haven't been to Frederick yet the Catoctin trail runs 20+ miles out of Gambrill Mountain, all the way thru Cunningham Falls. It's blazed blue the whole way and well marked at every junction.

I'd suggest skipping the first 4ish miles out of the Gambrill trailhead and picking it up at the Hamburg Road crossing.

Parking lot is roughly here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...9&ie=UTF8&z=13

Here's a map of the northern end of the trail. If you follow it south it takes you to Hamburg road.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps...ountain%20Park
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 10-23-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    Impressive. I still can't do it that fast, and we ride there all the time (I live in York). Cimbing Trail 7 is a ***** either way you ride it, at least it is to me. I still have to hike it in several places. Is the creek at the bottom of the north tunnel still dammed up a bit at the bottom? (haven't done the big loop in a while) I got a wet surprise the last time there (after heavy rains). Apparently, either the rains pushed the rocks, or YAMBA or someone, dammed the creek and a pool formed at the bottom. We came blasting through the tunnel into 2.5 feet of water.
    Thanks, I guess. I can normally make 7 clockwise, but have to walk 1 part counterclockwise. The tunnel is better, but not great. It wasn't YAMBA, in fact some members have been out there trying to dig it out. My guess is the logging changed the water flow direction and speed at the top of the hill, and all that scree washed into the tunnel and got dammed up.

OP, a good place to park at Michaux is at Woodrow road. Grave's Ridge and 3 mile trail are right there in the two ridge lines. Great rides. Did those two alone in the past for a 2.5 hour ride. About 12.75 miles, and over 2000 feet climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    If you haven't been to Frederick yet the Catoctin trail runs 20+ miles out of Gambrill Mountain, all the way thru Cunningham Falls. It's blazed blue the whole way and well marked at every junction.

I'd suggest skipping the first 4ish miles out of the Gambrill trailhead and picking it up at the Hamburg Road crossing.

Parking lot is roughly here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...9&ie=UTF8&z=13
    Jeff, is there a good loop down there besides the point to point trail you mentioned? I mapped it to the parking lot and it is only about 1.5 hours away from York so that might be worthy of a road trip.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

The White Jeff W
    Nothing at the Hamburg Road area is mapped so you need a local to show you around. For a loop you can go down into the park (Gambril Mountain) and find the trail head parking area. This should be it here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...24762&t=h&z=15 This is where the Catoctin trail begins but like I said above, the first 4 miles out to Hamburg are prolly best left to the hikers.

There are several trails that start here, I'd prolly recommend the yellow. 7 miles, IIRC. Here's a map but it only shows part of the yellow trail.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...ambrillmap.gif

If you have any legs left head west on rt 40 about 10-15 minutes to Greenbrier. The red trail is about a 5 mile loop. here's a trail map. http://www.potomacvelo.com/events/gc/Course.htm
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 10-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    No moss...