mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Looking for this book

Hey Guys, I owned few copies of this book in my time when I lived in Thorpe, however with me moving I've lost them. I was wondering if anyone has this book. If you do PM me, or Call me, I would love to pay you for a copy of some of the pages that I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Oh I have the new one, I need this one the Black and White Cover one. It has a few trails that are not in the new one, unfortunately.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Psycho Betty's Revenge...

...the Deer Path by Glen Van Dine were my favs!

Wonder if Jake Arner is still around?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have an early 90's version of that book.
    Not sure if it's the original or maybe the 2nd edition.
    It's even more "black & white" than the one posted.
    It has all the closed trails in it, I know that.

I'll look for it tonight. If I find it I could probably scan it at work and make it a pdf.
    The maps are really small topo maps (the book is like 5x8) so they are basically useless for navigating.

mtbr member
    i have a copy of that somewhere, it was like photocopied and stapled. wonder what the wife did with it =P

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Gtguy that would be awesome, if you could do that, that is the version I'm looking for. Not for the maps, but for the directions that go with each trail. Let me know if you can do that.

I'm bringing a few guys from western pa back there to ride next weekend. I remember most of the trails, but I just wanted somew of the info in that book for a safety.

Oh and if any of you want to ride on the weekend of 17th-19th you are certainly welcome to join us. PM me I will twice you my number and let you know what we're riding and when.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Found it!
    Looks like it's from 1991.
    I wonder how accurate the directions are these days considering they were only moderately accurate in '91.

It has:

1) Lehigh Canal (what's now called Weissport here and elsewhere)
    2) Switchback
    3)Lehigh Gorge
    4) Flagstaff Mtn
    5) Buzzard's Point
    6) Broad Mtn Loop
    7) Asa Packer
    8) Weiser State Forest / Hell's Hollow
    9) Mt Pisgah
    10) Mauch Chunk Ridge
    11) James Run Challenge
    12) Twin Peaks

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I forget which one it was but there was one up in Albrightsville. That was a really cool ride, but if you can PDF all that, would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    I forget which one it was but there was one up in Albrightsville. That was a really cool ride, but if you can PDF all that, would be awesome.
    There's nothing that far north.

The only rides off of 903 are Buzzard's Point which is off Behren's Road and is on SGL.

and Weiser St. Forest, which is off of Resevoir Road. I'm guessing that's what you're thinking of.

13 miles - Intermediate+

"This is a challenging ride which includes a 1/2 mile rocky descent into Hell's Hollow, followed by more than a mile of more fast downhill! All this downhill does have it's price, next is a good steady uphill of just over a mile."

From JT take 209S to 903N. Continue 7.2 mi, turn right on Resevoir Rd. At 8.1 mi, park on the right side of the road.

Ride Directions:

0.0 Start: Begin east (right) on Resevoir Rd.

0.8 Turn left into Weiser State Forest

1.3 Turn right (just past gate)

2.0 Straight past cable

3.4 Straight at +

3.5 Turn right

4.1 Straight at l-

4.9 Turn right (just after downhill)

6.2 Turn right (go straight past gate)

7.5 Turn left @ T

7.7 Turn left

8.2 Turn right at +

9.6 Straight at gate

9.8 Turn left at -l

11.0 Straight at l-

11.5 Straight at gate

12.0 Turn right (Resevoir Road)

12.8 End. You better be back at the car!

That's straight from the book - good luck. Hope your computer is close in calibration to whatever he was using in 1990.
    I must've ridden it at one point because it's checked off in my book. I remember one of the rides up there we got way lost because the milage numbers were off. I'm thinking it might have been this one, so no guarantees. Maybe one of the newer versions of the book has different numbers?

Rolling on 650b
    I've got one from 95 with a green and white cover. Its got 15 rides in it. I think you want the Drake's creek ride. I haven't done that ride in about two years. Things have changed some up that way since the book was printed in 95, but I'll send you a pdf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thanks to all for the replies. The greatest thing about Thorpe riding was the adventure of it all. So I'm looking forward to seeing some of these places I used to know like the back of my hand. I think Drake's Creek was the one I was thinking of up that way. Hellish climb then just LUSH trail on the ridges.

But we're definitely going to do the entire American Standard but with the DPII and Pine Tar, Back to DP1 through the Boulder Field, then if the guys I'm coming with have anything left, we'll cruise the fire roads to the overlooks, and maybe I'll treat them with the Gene's Run Finale....

I really can't wait.....oh yeah and if any of you still in the area want to ride with us, PM me I'll shoot you my cell, I'll be in town from Friday the 17th till Sunday the 19th. Going to ride each day somewhere.