mtbr member

Looking for bikers in Schukyhill, Monroe, carbon counties

There are some projects that are coming up that we(the mtn bike community) need to rally around. Need is a strong word, i mean we could use the help.

Pohopoco Park near the raceway
    State forest near 402/84(Blooming Grove)
    Locust Lake
    -had heard of something near Mt. Carmel(Kranzel's bike shop) looking for updates or contact.

if you are close by and could be a contact(Locust, already have contacts for other two) and off some help in trail construction that would be great.

give me your info here or email me at

transue@msn.com

as always thanks for listening

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    OK I'll bite... Schuylkill County rider here...

Mike

mtbr member
    Mike, not trying to hook anybody. I'm just throwing this out b/c i'd like to get some trails legalized and i need contacts to help with organization and other things.

I beleive locust lake is close to you.

I think mt. carmel is close but i'm probably wrong. in any case i'm just looking for people interested in helping maintain trails other than the ones that are taken care of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry, wasn't trying in insinuate that you were trying to hook anybody. Just was saying I was interested in more info and that I was from Schuylkill County.

I'm about 35 minutes from Locust Lake and about 50 minutes from Mt Carmel.

Mike

mtbr member
    Mike, as you may know we ride LL and it's one of our favorites. I'm looking for people like yourself that love the sport and everything about it. The upper firetower is state forest but the trails around the resevoirs is private and i'm trying to find out. Down the ride we can start getting the word out to help maintain the place. There is a solid core from tamaqua that has a history of trailwork and mtn biking. Keep your ears to the ground and thanks for replying.

hope your riding is going good and hope to see you on the trail soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It seems like the State Forest land borders the State Park land, all be it a pretty small tract... It would be pretty cool if there were a trail to connect the two. Then you could set up camp at the campgrounds and ride from there. The State Parks and the State Forests seem pretty receptive to MTBers with such great places to ride like French Creek, Swatara and RCST.

Keep me posted, thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    there is a road from the firetower heading NW that can land you down into the campground.

thanks for the help.

smell my finger
    Hey Joe,

Joe here, my family has a place up at Wallenpaupac, grew up spending my summers there (I'd leave CCHS behind, dreading the return in the fall). I've ridden all aound Promised Land SP. and the game lands off of 390/84 (Bruce Lake, I also hunt these game lands). I've ridden many miles on these great trails, over many years. I live in Bethlehem and frequent "the mountains". I used to be a lifeguard at P.L. throughout my college years('90 -'96) and would frequently talk with park supervisors about access . Always got the "Statewide policy" arguement against change. Being young it was easier just to poach than to become an activist. Now some of the trails are open for biking, of course the best ones are not.

I guess what I'm saying is you have struck a chord with me. I love that land and I love sharing it with other riders. My lifeguard buddy and I used to sit on the beach and dream about opening a small bike rental shack in the park and giveing guided trail rides. Anyway, I'd like to hear more. Thanks -- Joe

mtbr member
    i feel like i'm being PUNK'D i went to CCHS, have a place at wallenpaupack and went to college from 90-96'. Do we know eachother?????? Too funny

Re: PL: i met with a local about 3yrs ago with the park manager about opening up the hiking trails and after my presentation didn't seem to have any problems but then things went silent. i'll try and find out who the contact is.

p.s. our place is bythe dam and we keep the boat at walt's landing. Maybe we can meet up for some rides.

There is a ride over at sals this sunday at 1pm if your interested.

http://www.bikevmb.com/?q=node/201

smell my finger
    Joe,

We have met before. I was at CCHS at the same time you were. I graduated in '91. we spent some time togehter in detention with my cousin Jeffry! a Year or two ago we met again at Lehigh, you were comming down and I was headed up when I busted a chain. I think you were an a Marin and I on a Schwinn 4-Banger. You are older than I, I went to Bloomsburg and graduated in '96.

Our place at Wallenpaupac is down the other end by Where White Beauty was, saw many a movie there. While lifeguarding at Promised Land I worked under few Park Managers: Barb Davies and her assistant Leo Davidovich were around the longest. I know Barb is gone and I think Leo has now returned as the Park Manager. Their responces to my queries about acces were not cold, it just seemed that they were not the ones to change the policies set forth by Harrisburg. So, I just went out and rode, I knew all of the park rangers anyway. Most of the legal trails there are on the Lower Lake side of the park.

A Sals. ride would be nice. Been there a few times last year. It took a little time to figure the place out. Then I found the VMB trail map online. I used to park up top at the park, now I realize you park at the bottom and go from there. The Switchback trail is one long climb. I would go and I 'll suggest to my riding pals, but you know being the head of a household leaves little time for the old boys. Currently they (and I to some extent) are stuck in a big-air phase at that other place. I know it's private, but after 8 years It feels like home. The place never gets old and it's less than 10 mins for us all. One of my buddies lives right up there too. Sals. is close too, but they cry when they have to pedal too much.

Anyway, Aston Kucher is not going to jump out, Just a blast from the past! -- Joe

Keep on Rockin...

Mt. Carmel...

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    Mike, not trying to hook anybody. I'm just throwing this out b/c i'd like to get some trails legalized and i need contacts to help with organization and other things.

I beleive locust lake is close to you.

I think mt. carmel is close but i'm probably wrong. in any case i'm just looking for people interested in helping maintain trails other than the ones that are taken care of.
    The riders around Mt. Carmel are going super strong getting trails on the map for the newly developed State Forest around the previous Roaring Creek Watershed. Most of the trails have been there for years but recently the Forestry people have officially taken over and have been great to deal with. They are making out the official maps and are including the "pre-existing" trails as part of the system. It's been our goal to get them cleaned up and "up to spec" to make a positive impression, and to get them on the map and "grandfathered in". So far it's turned out to be great. The Forrestry folks have turned out not only to be receptive, but outright encouraging toward trail development. They have been very impressed with the quality of the trails. Many of these trails have been around since the 80's and most of them were made for bikers for mountain biking. The trails are top notch. Well, the point is, the MC guys are tied up right now with this project but usually are more than willing to help with trail work.

mtbr member
    Mike, no need for you guys to do anymore than your already doing. Is R. Kranzel involved? he was the one who originally asked me when they were having the initial meetings. He said it was about 10K acres.

could you email your contact info and the forestry contact info. I like to keep track of that and write letters to their managers to help promote the positive things the mtn bikers do and how pro-active the local land managers are. The forestry dept has really been positive everywhere i've seen. we just had a mtg with a guy near the poconos who wanted trails badly.

thanks for the info, definitely helpful.

How about a tour. I love to check out new trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Miker J, I'd be in for a tour also... I've driven through there a lot of times on my way up north. It's been a few years, but I remember that as off limits, glad to hear that's changed and it sound like you guys got a great handle on the situation.

If you guys want a hand with some trail work sometime, drop me a line.
    mountainbikemike@comcast.net

Mike

Keep on Rockin...

Great...

By far, the main man is a good friend by the name of Shawn Krehel. He's the main contact, running the newly formed club (Big Mountain Trail Association), and is the one working directly with the Forestry Dept. I'll give him a ring and get you his contact info. You won't believe this but he only now just got a computer and isn't even on line. My bet is that will change in the very near future.

The whole watershed is several thousand acres. Most is quite pristine as it had been officially off limits for decades. Only now is it being opened for public use. (Though like I said before there are trails being grandfathered in.) We definitely want to get the word out there to responsible bikers and to have it used by more folks. Shawn's likes nothing more than to show off the trails and give tours. I'll get back in touch. For the mean time shoot me directly at... michaelLjoyce@msn.com