Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Long gravel road routes in South Central PA

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gunther 
#1 ·
I'm trying to organize a gravel grinder ride for my normal riding group for this spring. We are thinking 50 or so miles on our SS cross bikes. I am in Adams county, but am looking for fire roads and gravel roads that connect to each other in driving distance, like in Adams, York, Franklin, and other surrounding counties, maybe even into Fredrick county MD (grew up in Carroll, not much there.)

I have ridden most of the gravel roads in Orrtanna near Adams County Winery (very very nice ride,great views and a stop at the winery for "supplies" and a picnic lunch) but am looking for something longer, as its a nice ride, but not many miles to rack up. Some paved roads as connectors is okay, but looking to stay on the gravel as much as possible. Maybe some fire roads, logging roads, or singletrack to connect.

TIA for any ideas, thanks. ~joe

#2 ·
Take the short drive up to Michaux. There are miles and miles of gravel roads there. You could definitely put together a 50+ mile gravel road ride there, and maybe even throw in some trails on the way. There won't be much opportunity to stop for "supplies," so you'll have to be more or less self sufficient.

#3 ·
Thanks. Im just used to hitting the trails up there, totally forgot about all the logging roads. We were planning on being self sufficient, the Orrtanna ride with the winery stop is a four times a year ride we have done forever. Kinda like a self guided tour of all the vineyard and orchards. Only 20 miles or so, but we do it nice and lazy to take in the sights

#4 ·
Check out the route of the Iron Cross race for some ideas. The ridge roads on either side of Rt. 233 are dirt, along with a lot of the small east-west roads in the forest.

I'd be interested in joining you for the ride. I'm in Gettysburg and always looking for more people to ride with.

#6 ·
Locating Dirt Roads in Pa

Step 1 : go to http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRCartoCountyType10

Step 2: click on county of choice

Step 3: Enlarge the map and scan the county looking for roads designated "unimproved" or " other". Road types are designated by color and line characteristics which are stated on each map.

Step 4: If the road of interest is in a State Park or Game Land you will find more information delineated in the applicalbe State Park or Game Land web site.

Note: Pennsylvania was logged using logging railroads. These railroads created crude grading that is still present today.

Because state laws were very strict on timber ownership, logging companies kept an uncut area between each other's lands. When Pa purchased the land back from the logging companies in the 1920's and 1930's many of these uncut areas were made into public lands.

If you have access to "Pennsylvania Logging Railroad History" written by Mr Kline you will find that many of the old railroad grades mapped in Mr Kline's books still exist and can be reached by roads of type "other".

I have spent whole days riding alone over dirt roads and logging railroad grades never encountering another tire track, hiker, horse, or ATV.

This past year I saw Great White Horned Owls, Eagles, a Bobcat and the boiler, frame, and drive gear for an old Shay. The bridges are no longer standing so you tend to get wet and you will have to bushwack now and again.

I got my nick name of ZIT30/34 because a friend of mine on his first ride with me complained that we never got out of the 30/34 the whole day and only a ZIT would consider this stuff rideable. He did agree however that he has never been that deep into a roadless area in Pa. The ride I took him on was into the Beulah Lands.

ZIT30/34

#8 ·
Update for pa maps

Step 1 : go to http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdPlanRes.nsf/infoBPRCartoCountyType10

Step 2: click on county of choice

Step 3: Enlarge the map and scan the county looking for roads designated "unimproved" or " other". Road types are designated by color and line characteristics which are stated on each map.

Step 4: If the road of interest is in a State Park or Game Land you will find more information delineated in the applicalbe State Park or Game Land web site.

Note: Pennsylvania was logged using logging railroads. These railroads created crude grading that is still present today.

Because state laws were very strict on timber ownership, logging companies kept an uncut area between each other's lands. When Pa purchased the land back from the logging companies in the 1920's and 1930's many of these uncut areas were made into public lands.

If you have access to "Pennsylvania Logging Railroad History" written by Mr Kline you will find that many of the old railroad grades mapped in Mr Kline's books still exist and can be reached by roads of type "other".

I have spent whole days riding alone over dirt roads and logging railroad grades never encountering another tire track, hiker, horse, or ATV.

This past year I saw Great White Horned Owls, Eagles, a Bobcat and the boiler, frame, and drive gear for an old Shay. The bridges are no longer standing so you tend to get wet and you will have to bushwack now and again.

I got my nick name of ZIT30/34 because a friend of mine on his first ride with me complained that we never got out of the 30/34 the whole day and only a ZIT would consider this stuff rideable. He did agree however that he has never been that deep into a roadless area in Pa. The ride I took him on was into the Beulah Lands.

ZIT30/34
Hi! the Penndot site has been updated, can you help me find the maps you mention?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.