Rolling on 650b

Lofty / Delano ride Tuesday

Going to be riding a Lofty / Delano loop tomorrow night (Tuesday 10/16) if anyone is interested in joining in. Meeting at the railroad crossing on the Lofty - Delano road @ 6pm. Starting with a road climg to warm up, then a mix of singletrack and doubletrack. If memory serves, its about a 14 mile loop.
    Last edited by Clipless in PA; 10-15-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added date

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Are you going through the tunnel?

Rolling on 650b
    Can do the tunnel as an out option at the end, instead of the challenging climb.. I'm opting for the climb myself. Haven't done the tunnel in a couple years, and it was pretty rough water depth/ rock wise.

mtbr member
    Clipless, So does this mean you're riding Tuesday AND Thursday???? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Well, I can't make it anyway have to ride around in circles at mOOn but I was going to polish up my flippers just in case!...LOL

CLIMB? That's not a climb, it's a mountain!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hey can you map that out on Strava or MapMyRide, or any other GPS route. I ran that death march race years ago, there was some really nice riding in there....but I live out of the area, or I'd meet ya tomorrow for this ride. But I'd like to hit this loop when I get home again, probably thanksgivingish.

Thanks

Rolling on 650b
    I wish I could make the Thursday ride, but have too much to do getting ready for Saturday. Sounds like it'll be fun, though not as much as last week in the rain!
    Vack - I'll try to remember to throw my gps in pack tonight. I know the lights throw off a bunch of interference, so we'll see what happens. Shoot me a pm when you're in town and we can probably hook up for a ride. This is NOT the death march ride though, not so long and not so tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is this the Deleno located outside of Mahanoy City?
    Good to know there is another option other then Roaring creek.
    Would love to get a tour sometime.

David

Rolling on 650b
    Yes it is. I'll try to post up a map after tonight.

Rolling on 650b
    My riding buddies for tonight just cancelled, and I haven't heard from anyone else that wants to go. So... I guess tonight's ride is off.

mtbr member
    If I had lights I would go with you as I live right down the street haha. We were wondering where the trails really begin up there. I have seen a nice single track off the one pole line before you go down the hill into quakeake. Is that it?

Rolling on 650b
    I dug up an old GPS log of part of the Lofty ride I had planned. The GPS track is in red. The light red section is what I rode previously (short loop). The blue line I drew in as an approximation of what tonight's ride was to be. The red line turns off the road onto a dirt road at a big yellow gate than climbs toward the towers. Take the first right and follow until you see a singletrack, motorcycle trail exit left. If anyone wants the gpx file from the original ride, PM me and I can email it to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lofty / Delano ride Tuesday-lofty-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Awesome thanks, I'll PM you the next time I'm headed back home....I want to ride this. I just remember the Death March being great single track most of the way.....then again, I snapped my chain three times that race and ended up walking back a paved road for a long long long time....but I want to finish it.

Rolling on 650b
    I didn't do the death march, but rode sections with people. I believe a bunch of the singletrack has been lost to erosion and ripped up by motorcycles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    there is tons of single track around delano most of the road riding on the map can be avoided as the dirt road riding as well, if you have never ridden the trail i call stegosaurus it is a must do, also i believe most of the trails have been created by dirt bikes so it is kind of a double edged sword saiyng they also ruin them, anyway i'll be riding the burma tomorrow approx 10:30 am at the firetower lot if any one interestedsend me a note

Rolling on 650b
    Hey slowdave! We never did get together last year for a Delano ride. I don't think I know your stegasaurus trail. I do agree that the trials were created by dirt bikes, but after so many years they get pretty beat up and hard to ride on a mountain bike. The section of singltrack on the south side of the Lofty rode, from the interstate to the wire recycler is kind of what I was referring to. Used to be great on a MTB, but now some of the ruts are so deep you can't pedal in them. The good thing is, they keep making new trails! Do you have lights, can you get out on a night? Our little cadre of riders is going to try again next Tuesday for a ride out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are you still going to start at 6pm next tuesday? I will have to see what work shedule is like.
    I will keep in touch and adam I have two lights if you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Hey slowdave! We never did get together last year for a Delano ride. I don't think I know your stegasaurus trail. I do agree that the trials were created by dirt bikes, but after so many years they get pretty beat up and hard to ride on a mountain bike. The section of singltrack on the south side of the Lofty rode, from the interstate to the wire recycler is kind of what I was referring to. Used to be great on a MTB, but now some of the ruts are so deep you can't pedal in them. The good thing is, they keep making new trails! Do you have lights, can you get out on a night? Our little cadre of riders is going to try again next Tuesday for a ride out there.
    Stegosaurus is the trail that runs right along the top edge of the ridge in the center of your loop, ending at I-81. There's big rock outcroppings along your right that look like the back of a stego. Have ridden it separate times with slowdave and bbohr - it's not to be missed.

Rolling on 650b
    Yep, still aiming for 6, or a couple minutes after. Sounds like I'm missing out on steg. Is it easy to follow? And if so where is the trail head? We could incorporate it Tuesday if we can find it.

The end of stego is a T into quad trail shown here. I can't remember exactly where it starts, but I suppose you could always ride backwards (I wouldn't consider it a directional trail.) It follows the north crest of the ridge line, steep drop to the north, and for much of the distance unrideable rock outcrop to the south, so pretty easy to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lofty / Delano ride Tuesday-stego-end.jpg  

Rolling on 650b
    Thanks! Looks like I've got some more exploring to do. Looking at the topo, it looks like that trial might run right into the one I was riding. I'll have to look to the right next time.

mtbr member
    Is anyone going to ride around Delano tomorrow? Ron and I went out last Sunday and did a smaller 9 mile ride with the cold. I live right here and never realized how great the trail system was up there. Might try to go out again tomorrow.

Mountain biking Workout | Endomondo

--Adam

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Lofty / Delano

Anybody going out tomorrow night 12-4-12

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    there is tons of single track around delano most of the road riding on the map can be avoided as the dirt road riding as well, if you have never ridden the trail i call stegosaurus it is a must do, also i believe most of the trails have been created by dirt bikes so it is kind of a double edged sword saiyng they also ruin them, anyway i'll be riding the burma tomorrow approx 10:30 am at the firetower lot if any one interestedsend me a note

It was nice to see, "also i believe most of the trails have been created by dirt bikes so it is kind of a double edged sword saiyng they also ruin them".

Yes, they were created by dirt bike guys and I would be pretty safe betting my own money that you could get very close to sayin' all the singletrack was created by dirt bike guys down there. I know a bunch of the guys down there and they have been at it for 30 years. Enjoy the trails and stay on the fresher ones for mountain bikes.

There is no reason dirt bike guys and mountain bike guys can't get along. Keep in mind that we are stronger together especially when it comes to land access issues.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The Moto club has 125 miles of singletrack they use for their enduro!