banned

Lodging near Prompton?

The trip to State College fell through, on account of the lack of lodging availability.

Thinking about Prompton instead, but there's no lodging I can find. Can anyone provide assistance on where to check?

I'm looking for "Honesdale" on expedia, but nothing even shows up for the surrounding areas.

mtbr member
    Camping or hotel?

banned
    Hotel/motel, as cheap as possible. I'm looking in Hawley and some other areas, but coming back with some $$$

mtbr member
    Dunmore Holiday inn. You'll be within a 20 minute drive of Hubbard, Merli, Prompton, and The LSP.

banned
    Thanks, I'll check it out. We're also going to try and find a motor inn along the way that has private entrances to the rooms so we can bring our bikes in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Theres a crappy hotel in honesdale called the fife and drum if you want to be near prompton. Its nothing great, but from what i remember its cheap. You could also walk your bikes to your rooms if you wanted. I was just at prompton today, its a great time, but a ton of gypsy moth webs(or whatever they were). I think I took out most of them on the far side of the lake so you should be ok

banned
    We're looking to simply get a place along the way at this point. Leaving tomorrow morning, got maps and looking forward to it.

I read that the dam was closed, but basically if I keep heading south on the (I think) blue trail where it turns red, I can come back around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've been parking down at the opposite end of the lake(take 170 down till the first road on right, a couple hundred feet in on right) and taking the trails that way. I found it to be the most fun for me. i did a big loop today up sidewinder to the white and green trails and went the length of the lake towards the damn, and kept going till the blue ended, then came back down the blue/yellow to the red back to where i started. Lots of trails to pick from any way you look at it. I've been having a blast there.

banned
    What's the info for the bike shop in the area?

I've been trying to search for it and maps, but not coming up with anything.

I'm looking to pick up a spare set of xt/m755/m03 brake pads.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 05-23-2007 at 10:35 PM.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What's the info for the bike shop in the area?

I've been trying to search for it and maps, but not coming up with anything.

I'm looking to pick up a spare set of xt/m755/m03 brake pads.

Northeast Sports in Honesdale Pa. http://www.nesportsltd.com/

Talk to Paul Mang the owner tell him Lee Curry sent you! He will set you up. He is the guy who built the trails at Prompton also. He can answer all questons
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

banned
    I ended up needing the guys at NE today. Good bunch of guys. It turns out my front tube exploded, blowing a hole right through the sidewall of my Nevegal. Had to stop in and get a Rampage to replace it.

Good guys out there.

On the list of mechanicals, more pinch flats, and the other bike has a leaking Float, but I think it's the seal on the valve, so I slapped some Permatex Non-Hardening Sealer on it and I'm hoping that does the trick.

Any other trails by here we can try out as well? We were thinking about making a run to State College, but that's really impractical at this point.

long standing member
    Any other trails by here we can try out as well? We were thinking about making a run to State College, but that's really impractical at this point.
    How about a run to Ski Denton? Almost a straight shot west on US-6 from Prompton to Coudersport. I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday...I'm even probably doing the beginner DH race on Sunday.

If you do decide to come to State College, I'll probably be up for a ride tomorrow (Friday) afternoon evening, let me know.

mtbr member
    Merli or the Lackawanna State Park. they're all close to each other. ttyl, Fahn

Cap'n Injury
    Any other trails by here we can try out as well?
    Merli Sarnoski near carbondale- only about 20 minutes from Prompton

banned
    Thanks a bunch. Just made it home anyhow. Was a great several days of riding and if it wasn't for the rainfall this morning, we would have set out on the West Shore trails, or headed up Sidewinder again to the cliffs.

Good call on the Fife and Drum. It was grimy, but inexpensive, quiet, had cold A/C and the owner was cool enough to even give us another room only for our bikes for free.

And another plug for Tom and Zach at NE Sports. They were a big help and cool to hang with. Very cool to have a local shop treat outsiders with respect and enthusiasm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yea those guys are pretty awesome. I ride w/ zach a good bit (i was born and raise in honesdale) Sorry i didn't see your post earlier or i would have given you some more info.

I actually bounce back and forth year to year as to which place i like more. Prompton or Merli. Unfortunately i'm not around this summer to make my decision. But both lately its been prompton since there has been some loggin going on at merli which pretty much destroyed 1/2 of the trails there.

mtbr member
    Go up and chech out The start loop, The Orange trail, to Sqweeze Play and then take Handlebar. They're all freshly raked. ttyl, Fahn