Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Locust Lake State Park

I searched and didn't see anything about Locust Lake, so I wanted to put this out there for reference. I went camping at Locust Lake this weekend. They have a very nice trail system there, but unfortunately it's hiking only. No bikes.

mtbr member
    snap, i was camping up there this weekend as well. although not on park property theres some great riding on the adjacent water authority land starting out from the fire tower. heres a link to some Locust Lake State Park
    maps and previous ride reports

after friday nights shower i bagged riding saturday morning and never found the motivation saturday afternoon. ended up hitting the nearby bungalow trails sunday for a great preview of the coal cracker calssic course from bwargula
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, what a coincidence! I searched this forum for Locust and nothing came up. I don't know how I missed those threads. Wouldn't have been able to do any biking anyway since it was just me and my 5 year old son there.

I remember seeing a guy there with a DS Jamis, not sure which model. That wasn't you, was it?

I ended up going over my bars on to the pavement from a little one foot drop on one of those little trails that connects the campsites to the bike path. I have no idea how it happened. I guess I just wasn't paying attention. My hand and elbow are still hurting today, lol.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I'm gonna hit the pre ride at the CCC race course with Rich and Arron on 9/2, join us if you like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    You can ride from Locust Lake. My brother and I do all the time. There is LOADS of unmarked unmapped trails above LL. Some pretty sweet single track. Look up the mountain to the south for the Fire Tower. Head that way, and enjoy....ball buster of a climb but some sweetness on top.

mtbr member
    yea that was me on a gray jamis xam

heres a few maps for your next trip lifted from bikevmb since i don't think non-members can view them any more - FREE BIKEVMB!!!

lots of good stuff between the fire tower road and reservoirs - the hupcap trail is fun with some cool rock fomations to ride through/on. ive never had any luck finding the stuff on the south side of the reservoirs though. i may have to venture up again since i didn't get to ride it last weekend

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbike View Post
    That's so funny! I actually parked right in front of you Sunday afternoon as we were leaving, near the camp shop.

Thanks a lot for all of the info for next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hey, my brother can't remember his log in, he lives in Mary D and knows these trails, and he's always looking for people to ride with. He said get a hold of him.

gt500mod@yahoo.com

He said whenever you guys come up for a weekend, give him an email a couple days ahead of time, he'll show you guys stuff on the other side of the road towards Mary D and other stuff up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I found my log-in info. Like my brother stated above I am always looking for people to go riding. I know 95% of the trails at locust lake area, Brockton Mnt, Mary D mountain area. Also, helped Aaron and Rich clean up the bungalow trail system, including last years introductory expert loop. Feel free to get a hold of me. BTW, the trail you are calling the hubcap trail, is that about 3 miles long single track that starts at right behind the firetower make a left about 150 feet into the trail and it will end on the power lines next to the Brockton mountain road or at the bottom of the fire tower road?

mtbr member
    very cool, i'll give this thread a bump next time i head up to try to hook up with you guys. i think it was aaron who might of ridden locust with bwargula and i a few years back. the hubcap trail is the one that starts from the fire tower/immediate left. a few miles in theres a split to the left through some cool rocks. hers a crappy phone pic

the other section i really like is the roller coaster between the reservior and drainage swale but its gotten a little grown in over the past few years.

Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
    Hey Guys!

If you enjoyed the trails around Locust Lake please come check out the Coal Cracker Classic on 9/9/12 at the Bungalow Park in Tamaqua, PA! Click the links below for more information!

Pre-Rides of the course will be held on 8/26 and 9/2! Meet at 3pm at the Bungalow Park. Directions can be found by clicking the link below!

CCC Facebook

Tamaqua PA's Premier Cross Country Mountain Bike Race

mtbr member
    Not to bump an old thread but if any of you guys that bike locust lake or the reservoir are going out keep me in mind. I'm just getting into this a lot more now and usually have a hard time trying to find a friend that wants to go out and ride. Most like short rides unfortunately.

I've ridden the fire tower rd from the brockton mtn to the berma and all the other major trails there but never came across the single tracks mentioned. I'm gong to take extra attention next time I am up there now and try to find them. Its too bad hunting season came so fast. I imagine it gets pretty busy on those paths with hunters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I definitely plan on camping there again, so I'll be sure to look you up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live in Mary d. We can meet up I show you all the trails. the best time to ride is sunday now due to hunting,. Give me a pm with contact info and gladly go riding.
    As of now I think I can ride this sunday if you and anyone else is interested.
    The coal cracker classic coarse is also an option, help out with the race in years past..

Ron

mtbr member
    Sounds great I'm pming now. Have you rode anything in the Delano area on top of the mountain? I've read a lot on here about that but never found any great single track up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have heard about a old race coarse, it might have been a enduro motocross coarse. But never rode or found it. Nevertheless, there are miles of trails up on top of the brockton mountain.
    I did not get any of your contact info, e-mail me at or sent me your e-mail. I can not post my e-mail on here yet, you need 10 posts and I only have 6. Use the gt500mod email posted by vack. It is my e-mail.
    Can you ride Sunday, If so what time is best?

mtbr member
    Yea that was the same reason I couldn't pm. I'll shoot you an email after work today.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by trekgt View Post
    I can not post my e-mail on here yet, you need 10 posts and I only have 6.
    Go here:test forum - Mtbr Forums

Post up 4 test posts and your good to go.

mtbr member
    nice to see the LL chatter - I can't make this weekend but maybe another ride some time

mtbr member
    Great!

Email sent Ron.

mtbr member
    Ok guys ron and I are going out at locust lake/brockton mtn tomorrow around 9a. If anyone else is interested get a hold of us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbike View Post

heres a few maps for your next trip lifted from bikevmb since i don't think non-members can view them any more - FREE BIKEVMB!!!

lots of good stuff between the fire tower road and reservoirs - the hupcap trail is fun with some cool rock fomations to ride through/on. ive never had any luck finding the stuff on the south side of the reservoirs though. i may have to venture up again since i didn't get to ride it last weekend
    Hi, i have camped at LL before and thought there had to be some sweet Single Track on that mountain. i live in Reading area and me and my buddies are always looking for new stuff to ride. Would you be willing to let us tag along on a ride one Saturday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Adam and I had a great ride this morning, I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did, having someone riding with me. As for tagging along, I am always looking forward to meeting other riders. This time of year Saturdays are out (prime hunting area's) we could always schedule another Sunday though.

Ron

mtbr member
    Hahah yes definitely had a blast today, a blast that I am still feeling now lol, darn lockout.

mtbr member
    Apparently that ride was hard on everything because I went to get the bike today only to find a flat rear tire lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast