mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Locust Lake loop

I am going camping this weekend at Locust Lake and was going through the bikevmb website and seen a map for this Locust Lake loop. Has anyone ridden here and is it hard to find the way around? How any miles is it and how tough is it? y friend said it was only 1 mile long and my other friend said that the flat asphalt trail around the lake is 1 mile long. It def. looks more than 1 mile long to me. Please help. Thank-you

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been on it. Yes it is just a 1 mile asphalt loop. Pretty much all flat. I went there with my girlfriend and we brought the road bikes and were absolutely fine. There is a fun slanted wall at the one end of the dam. It kinda made me wish I had brought my bmx bike, but I was still messing around on it with my road bike.

You could explore some of the other roads there. not around the lake it gets a tiny bit hilly, but I was fine on my fixed gear with 53 x 17 gearing.

What kind of riding are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why not ask on the bikevmb site and see what folks have to say?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The paved loop around Locust lake is not the same as the loop on VMB. You can access the trails from the campground via the powerline, veer left on a service road and start climbing. Just keep climbing to the top, if your sense of direction is good you will end up at the Firetower, which is on the VMB loop. There are alot of trails up on that mountain, made from motorcycles and 4-wheelers, there are many options. Mostly doubletrack, but there is some singletrack too. Go explore and have fun, wear bright colors on Saturday for the hunters.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't really know any existed around there, but I wasn't looking too hard, since I was there with the woman. I'll keep this in mind for future trips.

mtbr member
    this is a great loop -
    http://bikevmb.com/?q=node/270
    I'd guess around 6-7 mi rocky enduro type riding with a few decent climbs. the park is just northwest off the map. take the doubltrack left from the outer campground loop road to the powerline, bear right and cross up to the fire road climb then next fire road right then left at radio tower will take you to the fire tower - its halla fun! i usally get up there once or twice a year but our had to cancel this year...bummer
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

burma

there are many trails up the fire road from the campgroundthere is tons of super tech trails up there all from the fire tower area it is a hunting area so be careful also on the other side of the burma road is / are? many more miles of single track get lost explorethis place is great have been riding there for years

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    there are many trails up the fire road from the campgroundthere is tons of super tech trails up there all from the fire tower area it is a hunting area so be careful also on the other side of the burma road is / are? many more miles of single track get lost explorethis place is great have been riding there for years
    Dave:

Are you still on for Coburn ride this Sunday?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    lee
    send me info time meeting and i'll let you know tomorrow