mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Local Trail Help....

I live in Lancaster and I currently only ride roads but I know there are a bunch of trails around and I have a cabin in northern pa not far from worlds end state park and eagles mier which I would assume both have trails, so I'm looking to get into mountain biking. I'm looking at maybe getting a stumpjumper but I don't know much about the trails around and if I'll need long travel suspension or anything. Any info about the trails in the Lancaster/Lebanon/York areas or North Central PA would help in making a decision of what type of bike to buy. I know I want a full suspension bike but i'm not sure which type of bike would be better suited to the trails around, XC or AM? Any info on the trails around would be great!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    ... as a grossly over-generalized rule, if you start with a decent sturdy machine like a Stumpjumper FSR it'll probably last you quite a while before you grow your skills and desires to the point that more suspension travel is truly required.

... you should also try out the 29er options too.

while it sound like you have your mind made up (and welcome to you!) I would say that you should consider starting cheap ( 2nd-hand hardtail or rigid, or borrowed/rented bikes ) for a number of rides (or a year) until you're SURE you want to put realistic money into a long term purchase. A decent FS bike is NOT something that you are going to get for less than a kilobuck (new, retail).

what I would SERIOUSLY contribute though is that before you buy one, you should try to ride as many different types of FS bikes on trails so that you can see how they behave and find which one makes you smile the most.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I thought about starting out with a hardtail....but i have a friend who said if I can afford it to go with a fs bike to do so because eventually I'll want one anyways. If trail riding is anywhere close to as addicting as riding roads (and i've heard it's much more addicting) than i know i'll enjoy myself. My lbs does have test bikes that they rent out for like $50 a day.....which then goes towards the purchase of a bike anyways so I'll prolly give those a try.

mtbr member
    First of all, being in the woods is very addictive.
    Second, a trail bike like the SJ FSR (my current ride) or Trek EX series is about right for trail riding around here . That being said, I ride with a group that goes from a Nomad to a full rigid single speed 29'r, and we all have fun.

Not sure what your LBS is for road, but the guys at Green Mountain in Ephrata would be a good start.

Check out our site for areas to ride and information on trail work days.
    http://www.sambabiker.com/

Matt Myers

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's where I went to get my Allez sport......they were very helpful! Do you ride up at gretna much? A buddy of mine who rides an old rigid schwinn wasn't too fond of all the rocks up there. I can't say i've ever been riding up there....other than on the rail trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    That's where I went to get my Allez sport......they were very helpful! Do you ride up at gretna much? A buddy of mine who rides an old rigid schwinn wasn't too fond of all the rocks up there. I can't say I've ever been riding up there....other than on the rail trail
    I ride Gretna, but prefer Camp Mack (I'm the SAMBA trail guy at Camp Mack). We usually ride Sunday morning (sunrise) year round and night ride Wednesdays. When you make a purchase/demo, shoot me an e-mail mmyers@ptd.netand we can get you going.

Matt

banned
    Apr 2009
    How is Camp Mack? This area has trails from 'Rocky' (Rocky Ridge) to smooth (Lanc. County Park)..

Did you ever have ham?

Local Trail Help....

Swengo,

Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add about trails or FS bikes as I am a newbie myself who is thinking of throwing his hat into the FS ring eventually. I just wanted to extend a welcome to you and wish you good luck. I have a background in dirt biking and I knew as long as it had two wheels and you could use it in the dirt I would love it! Again, welcome and have fun!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live right up the road in Denver and would be happy to show you some of the trails (Blue Marsh, French Creek, Gretna, Mt.Penn) I try to ride every weekend weather permitting.I also think I know who Lititz Dude is talking about with the rigid 29er (no idea how he does it) and have ridden with that group a few times now. I was also a very avid Dirt Biker spending lots of time at Tower City and racing hairscrambles, which helped me immensly when I made the Mountain bike switch.
    Also as luck would have it, I am selling a Trek Fuel EX that may be right up your alley, it is an 07'. Not a bank breaker either and in excellent shape and FS too with a lockout on the front and rear. PM me if you are at all interested in checkin it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lugi; 12-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.