mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Local Riding Conditions

This is to the usual suspects in the southeastern region of the state. Last Sunday I rode French Creek and it was amazing. However, yesterday was a different story. It was like walking with stilletos on the sand (not that i've ever done that , i'm just guessing), or riding your bike in a snow cone. Too slushy. I just want to get a quick report on any of the following for a nice Sunday ride
    Wiss
    French Creek
    Blue Marsh
    White Clay
    Fair Hill
    Brandywine
    If anyone goes here either today or tomorrow, please let me know, so I can make a wise decision about my Sunday ride!
    MASS IS ALMOST HERE

mtbr member
    I can't say for all the parks listed, but Wissahickon is completely impassible. The trails are extremely wet and soft. Please, take a week off dirt to let them dry out. Riding the dirt right now would severely damage the trails.

I would imagine that all the parks you listed are in the same situation.

We all really really want to ride, especially with these warmer days, but lets try to be patient, be responsible, and preserve the trails for the future use!

Thank you
    dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No problem man! Off the trails I will be! Wiss is very fragile as it is. I dont want to aid on the erosion process. I think people tend to ride it a lot because it dries faster than anything else around the area. It rains one day and then the next day its almost dry again!
    Funny thing, I had one of the best rides of my life at French Creek last Sunday with all the hard packed snow. I was hoping to find similar conditions, but with the warm weather and rain, well, thats all gone. Time to wait it off now.

mtbr member
    You're a good man!

And you're correct, it would've dried up quickly under normal cercumstances.
    But as it was pointed out to me, the problem is the ground was frozen solid, then it started thawing over the last few days, but the thaw went only few inches deep, which prevented the water from melting snow and this rain to drain out quickly.
    So all this moisture is now trapped in the top few inches.

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=dzm3]You're a good man!

And you're correct, it would've dried up quickly under normal cercumstances.
    But as it was pointed out to me, the problem is the ground was frozen solid, then it started thawing over the last few days, but the thaw went only few inches deep, which prevented the water from melting snow and this rain to drain out quickly.
    So all this moisture is now trapped in the top few inches.

Even if the temp dropped to below freezing for the next few days it would not make a difference - the ground is now saturated and with the warm air today & tommorow - it will be a disaster at wiss. so please STAY OFF THE TRAILS, my experience with wiss over the years tells me that in order for it to be rideable in the next few weeks it will need to
    a.) not rain/ snow
    b.) either get below freezing day & night so that it can freeze back up
    or
    c.) stay a consistent above freezing so all the moisture can absorb & run off.
    besides that my bike will be sitting another few weeks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

thanks

thanks for ruining my weekend. but seriously, thanks for reminding us of trail preservation because i'm the bonehead that would be out there tomorrow if i hadn't read your warning.

mtbr member
    DAMN i just picked up my new ride and i am pacing back and forth waiting for good conditions at WISS. Fuel Ex8 :-)
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    good condtions rnext couple nights if you can bare the cold!

i think roadbikes were invented for this time of year folks!

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    good condtions rnext couple nights if you can bare the cold!

i think roadbikes were invented for this time of year folks!
    Yeah I just hope this expected snow on Wednesday doesn't screw us (again)...
    pete

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on the bike path along Lincoln Drive - the one you take from Ridge Ave to get into the Wissahickon?

El.Mustard and myself were out a couple of weekends ago, and that little footbridge was closed and under construction. We were able to pass by walking our bikes along Lincoln Drive (the narrow strip behind the guard rail) in order to bypass the footbridge.

I'd be curious to know what is going on there at the moment. I realise there are other ways to get into Wissahickon from Center City, but that path is certainly the most direct.

Cheers!

wot no bike?
    That project is supposed to take something like 8-9 months, and I think they started in October but I can't quite remember. Besides redoing the pavement I think a lot of the work has to do with controlling some flooding and other drainage issues.

Two weeks ago I rolled through there to see how they were progressing and decided to cross the bridge anyway. They completely dug-out one end of the bridge so I had to climb down to ground level with my bike from the bridge and then back up to path level. They're definitely doing some serious work down there.

Note that you can also access Forbidden Drive via Henry ave, near Monestery Lane (Use the gravel trail beneath the Henry Ave overpass).
    pete

mtbr member
    Thanks Pete, so long as we can still get around the footbridge (the one under Henry Ave), we should be golden, assuming there is no other major construction going on.

Looking forward to hearing some reports from the night-riding folk.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Thanks Pete, so long as we can still get around the footbridge (the one under Henry Ave), we should be golden, assuming there is no other major construction going on.

Looking forward to hearing some reports from the night-riding folk.
    I stopped for a ride last night on my way home from work, not at Wissahickon, but at my other favorite park -

The wind was howling! Made the chore of switching back to regular tires in the parking lot before setting out a real finger-numbing affair.

Once I finally hit the dirt, the trail was in a really odd half-frozen state. Some areas looked muddy, but had more of a frozen slushy feel to 'em. I had to keep stopping to check my tires because it felt like both had gone flat. It looked as if quite a few people tried to take advantage of saturday's good weather, only to leave the trail a rutted, muddy mess that was only partially frozen when I got there yesterday.

I ended up bailing out somewhere short of the midpoint because I didn't want to do any more damage than had already been done. Besides, pedalling through that mess was incredibly hard work. Not fun.

The cold was hardly noticeable (although it's colder today), but the wind was crazy. Even pedalling on the road, I had to work pretty hard just to keep my speed up.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    The cold was hardly noticeable (although it's colder today), but the wind was crazy. Even pedalling on the road, I had to work pretty hard just to keep my speed up.
    I hear ya - I didn't get out at all on the weekend. Rather, I took to my first EBB adjustment and drive train clean. Wow - it was shocking how much crap I had to remove just to find my chainring. I almost had to chisel layers of muck off it. Now I can see why SS'ers love the simplicity of no gears! Viva le Rohloff!

I did manage to ride into work this morning. My gawd, what an effort. Simply trying to ride up Spruce Street from 34th almost left me breathless (not to mention the wind was absolutely frigid). Yikes.

Here's hoping for some good conditions this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    I hear ya - I didn't get out at all on the weekend. Rather, I took to my first EBB adjustment and drive train clean. Wow - it was shocking how much crap I had to remove just to find my chainring. I almost had to chisel layers of muck off it. Now I can see why SS'ers love the simplicity of no gears! Viva le Rohloff!

I did manage to ride into work this morning. My gawd, what an effort. Simply trying to ride up Spruce Street from 34th almost left me breathless (not to mention the wind was absolutely frigid). Yikes.

Here's hoping for some good conditions this weekend.
    Well here is another week out the window - no riding AGAIN! we had this little bit of snow - its freezing! then just in time for the weekend!!!! more possible rain with above freezing temps - just what is needed for a good old thaw and MESS...

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by ayce
    Well here is another week out the window - no riding AGAIN! we had this little bit of snow - its freezing! then just in time for the weekend!!!! more possible rain with above freezing temps - just what is needed for a good old thaw and MESS...

So, get out there after dark tonight and ride while the ground is still frozen!

That's my plan, anyway. Ride when you can, drink when you can't.

[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am going out tonight to green lane
    I am a little concern about those few valleys you have to cross. Those small downhills are crazy steep and technical. Hard enough to do during the day, I cant imagine at night.
    I will let you know how did it go.
    And then, on Saturday, I will be joining the Erin Express and celebrate with my fellow irishmen all day long!!!