mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Live + Everclear + Filter + Sponge Jim Thorpe Show

Just wanted to give anyone interested a heads up, there's a pretty cool concert planned for June 16th at Penns Peak.

mtbr member
    Sponge would be pretty awesome to see again. They released a new CD a few years back that was better than their stuff from the 90s but still hard to beat 'Plowed' in terms of rock radio longevity.

Cat Herder
    The spirit of the 90's is alive in... Jim Thorpe. I'll go grab some bar-ends for my rig.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil View Post
    Just wanted to give anyone interested a heads up, there's a pretty cool concert planned for June 16th at Penns Peak.
    Sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the heads-up.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They had a type of event like this last year at Bethlehem Sands

Penns Peak definitely a cool place to go check out a show

mtbr member
    Went to ride Broad mountain with my kid and can't believe the crap they have done. The main trail around (the only one legally open I think as well) is now covered in big gravel rocks. Talk about sucky. It seems like that town always does things to make is sucky to MTB there...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Went to ride Broad mountain with my kid and can't believe the crap they have done. The main trail around (the only one legally open I think as well) is now covered in big gravel rocks. Talk about sucky. It seems like that town always does things to make is sucky to MTB there...
    Not sure how this is related to that concert, but yeah, it sucks- if I had to guess, preparation for fracking. Those be high-load-bearing bridges where there once was a fun splash through a creek on a bike. And the big turnaround spots, etc.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Not sure how this is related to that concert, but yeah, it sucks- if I had to guess, preparation for fracking. Those be high-load-bearing bridges where there once was a fun splash through a creek on a bike. And the big turnaround spots, etc.
    Sorry, I agree that post does not fit in the the thread. But honestly, I personally don't want to support that town in any way. If that means skipping a concert in Jim Thorpe, I would do it. For a place that could have been THE east cost mecca for mountain biking, what they have done in crazy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Sorry, I agree that post does not fit in the the thread. But honestly, I personally don't want to support that town in any way. If that means skipping a concert in Jim Thorpe, I would do it. For a place that could have been THE east cost mecca for mountain biking, what they have done in crazy.
    Oh, yes, I agree. I think all they care about is the money they get from NY tourists looking to go on a rafting trip or a choo choo train ride.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh, yes, I agree. I think all they care about is the money they get from NY tourists looking to go on a rafting trip or a choo choo train ride.
    This is disappointing to hear. I was expecting people to be all fired up about doing a double header of mtn biking and the concert (Like I was thinking). I've never been to JT to ride before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil View Post
    This is disappointing to hear. I was expecting people to be all fired up about doing a double header of mtn biking and the concert (Like I was thinking). I've never been to JT to ride before.
    The area in general is still a very nice rideable area with plenty of scenary. And Penns Peak is definitely a nice little spot to check out a concert and grab some food

mtbr member
    Man, I think you hit the nail on the head. To go mountain biking, who do you really pay? For the train or rafting, dollars have to be spent. But heck, we used to spend the weekend up there riding. We would stay in town, eat in town and enjoy the ridding. There were a lot of MTBers that did that. All of the sudden, they don't want our business. I just don't get it.

mtbr member
    Mountain biking in Jim Thorpe destroyed the trails, left trash and DID NOT spend money in town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevyrus View Post
    Mountain biking in Jim Thorpe destroyed the trails, left trash and DID NOT spend money in town.
    Any evidence for this? I would also say that Jim Thorpe should have done things to get some level of economic impact from the MTB that came to the town. Many other places have.