Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yung Wun Ho!!

Little riding time up at Michaux..

Hit up Pine Grove Furnace/Michaux today for about 4 hours or so..I usually go up there about 2 times a week sometimes 3 to get a nice ride in..Downhills, Super Rocky, Flat opening whatever u want its pretty much there..I was able to get a few pictures when I wasnt flying by stuff in the downhill sections..Found a nice little area with acouple jumps and a nice treeride..I usually go to the same spot and just check out different directions that I havent dont before..I head past the Fuller Lake Park Office and go towards Caldoneia (sorry about the spelling if wrong on that) and about 2 miles past the PGF office there is a stone road to turn down on the right that takes u up the mountain with several fire access roads on either side..I usually hit up the right side since the trail seems to be maintained more than the left..Either way great time every time!
    Here are the pics and one of the bike 08 Rincon Olive, everything stock except bars(Bontrager Race Lite) and Continental Survivor Pros..Waiting on a new seat post, and front fork and a set of 203mm bb7's. For it being mostly stock it handled the downhill singles great..But I was jumping rocks down those most of the time

and a pic of the ride

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Michaux is on the top of my list of places to ride. It looks beautiful. I'm going to try and get there before the end of November.

The White Jeff W
    I went up there Friday after work & stumbled on that area. It was getting dark so i had to bail. Went back Saturday & spent the whole afternoon exploring & loved every bit of it, except the trail that follows the fenced in area.

If you're going down 233 you'll see a large gravel parking area on your right before you hit the dirt road (Woodrow, I think). You can park there & follow the trail up the hill off the lot then stay to the to the left. It follows parallel to the road for prolly less than a mile then splits. Take the right & it burns down the hill, across the bridge at the bottom then up a climb & it takes you to the same area.

If you go left at the split it's single track all the way to Woodrow.
    No moss...

HopHeads, Unite!
    Were you night riding? We were in that neck of the woods last night around 7:00 and saw another rider with a light on.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    It was getting pretty close to dark..I didnt see anyone else but heard some people down the mountain..Maybe it was the headies talking to me

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    I went up there Friday after work & stumbled on that area. It was getting dark so i had to bail. Went back Saturday & spent the whole afternoon exploring & loved every bit of it, except the trail that follows the fenced in area.

If you're going down 233 you'll see a large gravel parking area on your right before you hit the dirt road (Woodrow, I think). You can park there & follow the trail up the hill off the lot then stay to the to the left. It follows parallel to the road for prolly less than a mile then splits. Take the right & it burns down the hill, across the bridge at the bottom then up a climb & it takes you to the same area.

If you go left at the split it's single track all the way to Woodrow.

Were u on a black full suspension on sat..I was up there for about 2 hours and parked in the gravel lot...I only usually park there if there are other cars parked there..I enjoy seeing what people ride ..Oh and that fenced in area..DEATH TRAP

HopHeads, Unite!
    That fenced in area is a deer exclosure--intended to keep deer out of a logged area until seedlings and whatnot have a chance to establish themselves. You can go straight through it using the yellow "hatches" that are to the side of the big main gates.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JDel
    Were u on a black full suspension on sat..I was up there for about 2 hours and parked in the gravel lot...I only usually park there if there are other cars parked there..I enjoy seeing what people ride ..Oh and that fenced in area..DEATH TRAP

Blue Ibex full suss. I drive a red Dodge pickup. I didn't see any other riders on the trails but a few were unloading as I was leaving. I'm gonna try to get in a couple hours this evening if I can get out of work on time.

Oh and that fenced in area..DEATH TRAP
    I'll usually ride down anything but I walked my bike down the hill there

You can go straight through it using the yellow "hatches" that are to the side of the big main gates.
    Are there any trails on the other side? All I saw were some cabins but it looked like there might've been something at the top of the hill.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 10-09-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    No moss...

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Blue Ibex full suss. I drive a red Dodge pickup. I didn't see any other riders on the trails but a few were unloading as I was leaving.
    I think I might have seen u when I was leaving from my truck.Little old Grey Nissan Pickup.There was a red truck and a blue acura there when I got there and when I left I saw a darker colored full suspension rider in the woods..Bike looked real nice

The White Jeff W
    My bike's dark blue so i guess it coulda been me. I'm the same as you checking out other guys rides. I always try to catch up to cars on the hiway that have a bike hanging on the back. Im usually disapointed but last week saw a really nice Cannondale DH bike on top of a SUV near the Walmart in Hagerstown.
    No moss...

HopHeads, Unite!
    I'll usually ride down anything but I walked my bike down the hill there

Are there any trails on the other side? All I saw were some cabins but it looked like there might've been something at the top of the hill.
    That little hill's fun--rode it last night looking for a race course reroute. The other side is really just Michaux Road. There's a yellow gate and then the road. If you go around the wooden gate off the other side of Michaux Road, there's a doubletrack to singetrack connector down to the end of Old Shippensburg Road.

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Went up today for about 3 hours..Was coming up to a clearing from the downhill singles and blam!!! There was Jeff..Nice bike btw Jeff!..Sorry I couldnt chat longer had a dinner date to attend..U seemed like a cool dude for the brief minutes we spoke..LMK when u head up again

The White Jeff W
    Will do. Good to put a face to the ID. Love the Giant, BTW. I've been thinking about building up a hardtail over the winter & like the frame on that Rincon. I'm a sucker for a curved top tube

I most likely wont get back up there this week but the week after we'll ride. I found a couple more trails I wanna explore
    No moss...

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Thanx..I love it as well..Im also a sucker for curved top tubes..With a upgraded fork and bigger brakes it will be even better I think..U could prob snag this frame for around 150-200 new..I would give Holmes Cycle and Fitness in Camp Hill a call..Its where I bought mine and got the upgrades so far...Most of the guys are avid riders that work there so they know a butt-load of options to build one..I think come winter im gonna get a STP frame and make a single speed downhill thriller..Yea I saw some awesome looking trails but some looked alittle grown over..

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I love Michaux! So easy to get to and it requires a little bit of everything as far as skillsets go. One second you're in the mud, then you're bouncing from rock to rock, root to root, then you're in sand! To top it all off, now that the leaves are covering the trail, you really have no idea what you're bouncing off of and about to hit next! And it seems like you're always either going up or down a hill, never just coasting on a flat section. Were some of those pictures taken near the reservoir? The one section of trail looks familiar.

Wednesday I rode 10 mi. in Caledonia (Rt. 30 & 233 Parking lot), thursday I dispatched from the Big Flat Parking Lot on Shippensburg Road and did about 10 mi. which was 1200ft elevation gain! I noticed they just mowed the trails on the PowerLines. I carried my bike up the uber steep section (that you can barely walk up) of the powerlines, right next to Shippensburg Rd. I'm refering to the section that is visible from 233. Fun to come down, not so much to climb up! Unfortunately I had some running to do on Friday, and I have a wedding today so I won't be able to ride until (hopefully) Sunday morning from Big Flat.

If u ever see a guy w/ a mohawk out in that area riding, it's most likely me!

-Josh
    Last edited by Datalogger; 10-18-2008 at 01:50 AM.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Yung Wun Ho!!
    Hey Josh I think I have seen u up at pinegrove furnace down that stone road that goes from fuller to laurel lake..I wasnt riding but driving..Saw a guy on what looked like a full suspension bike with a mowhawk..All those pictures were taken near woodrow road heading down near caledonia where the big stone parking lot is..The downhill ones were taking at the top of woodrow road..Where is this area with the powerlines?? Or the area u can see from the road?
    Im up there more than I am at home sometimes ..So if u ever see a olive GIANT that would be this guy right here ..I think I might be heading up on Sunday for a lil

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    That was definitely me. I typically will park at the ATV lot on the top of Bendersville Rd and hit some trails and then head down to the Lakes.

I'm about to head to Big Flat (on Shippensburg Rd) for a 10AM ride with a bunch of others. Should be fun, it's a balmy 39* here in Chambersburg, I'm sure it's even colder in Michaux!
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I'm about to head to Big Flat (on Shippensburg Rd) for a 10AM ride with a bunch of others. Should be fun, it's a balmy 39* here in Chambersburg, I'm sure it's even colder in Michaux!

I joined that ride this morning. Pretty sure I saw you there but I rode with a different group.
    No moss...

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Yeah, I was the bigger guy with the red /white jersey on. What a beautiful day to ride!

On a side note, I couldn't believe how many people with flats I came across! Off the top of my head I can recall about 7 punctures that I alone personally saw.

What a blast!
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Yeah, I was the bigger guy with the red /white jersey on. What a beautiful day to ride!

On a side note, I couldn't believe how many people with flats I came across! Off the top of my head I can recall about 7 punctures that I alone personally saw.

What a blast!
    I had a great time up there. I've only been riding for a few months so I wasn't familiar with that end of the park. I learned a lot of new trails today.

Yeah there were a lot of people having trouble with flats up there. I was a little worried myself since I had three at the Frederick Watershed Saturday but got thru today without any. Did have a nice endo, tho. That reminds me, I need to firm up my front shock Saw one guy that had his derailleur ripped off. He was attempting to convert it to SS when I passed. Not sure how he fared.

Great ride, great time, great people. My legs are screaming at me but I'll be looking to get in on more of those.
    No moss...

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I did hear about the guy w/ the derailleur issue. He was behind me when he broke.

I'm hoping to go again tomorrow, it's supposed to creep into the 60's! Haha.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

The White Jeff W
    Heat wave!

I'm glad you have something left. After the long grind up the hills then playing hockey last night I'm spent.
    No moss...

HopHeads, Unite!
    Hey, Josh, it was good meeting you yesterday. Jeff--not sure we were introduced. That was a heckuva group ride for Michaux--almost 40 people. I was that guy on the Kona Hei Hei in the Arrogant Bastard jersey that kinda explained what was going on and what the different groups would try to be.

I sliced a sidewall on a week-old Rampage on Abby. Stan's wasn't going to seal that. Had to boot and tube.

Great weather and a great ride!

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugboot
    Hey, Josh, it was good meeting you yesterday. Jeff--not sure we were introduced. That was a heckuva group ride for Michaux--almost 40 people. I was that guy on the Kona Hei Hei in the Arrogant Bastard jersey that kinda explained what was going on and what the different groups would try to be.

I sliced a sidewall on a week-old Rampage on Abby. Stan's wasn't going to seal that. Had to boot and tube.

Great weather and a great ride!
    Yeah we were mid-conversation when I heard you flat behind me. I couldn't believe the amount of flats yesterday. I believe a lot of it was due to the fact riders were unable to see what they were hitting with the leaves covering everything. Regardless, still a great ride, some of those trails were new to me. I have them logged in the GPS so I'll easily be able to find them again.

Oh, what is the travel on your Kona?
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

HopHeads, Unite!
    3.5" out back, soon to be 100mm up front. That Maverick is quite the rig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast