mtbr member
    May 2007

Little Pine State park near Williamsport, trails there any good?

It's close to Waterville. I was looking for a fall mini-vacation spot. We might rent a cabin near the park if the trails are any good (we can take our dogs there, too). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member

Little Pine drained in 2005

I was there in 2005 when they drained the lake. We started biking the trails in the park but the family backed off and I didn't complete it. They looked good to me. You also may consider Hyner View Park near Hayneyville, PA. Although, I am not sure what they have there. Bald Eagle SP shouldn't be too far either.

You could also ride the rail trail along the Pine Creek. There is a trail head @ Waterville.

The image attached is the bottom of the lake when they were cleaning it out after the floods of 2005. That is my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mike,
    Thanks for the info. Did the family back off because of distance, or was it too technical for a family ride?

mtbr member
    My wife is petite la fem. She didn't like it much. I only did a few miles and it wasn't technical at all, but this doesn't say much for the rest of it. I think what did her in was the contractors in the area working on the lake had heavy equipment on the trail. The trail was churned up and real soft making it harder to pedal through. She liked the rail trail from Waterville to Camal, PA. There are some nice hamlets above Camal. Easy ride, nice country-- and quiet!
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-07-2007 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I have done some riding in the area. I have access to a place on top of Rt. 44 Haneyville area. Not much seems to be developed or talked about as far as biking except for the Pine Creek rail trail of course. If you are into the mellow scenic riding I guess that would be exceptional. I know there is a guide available for the Bald Eagle and Tiadaghton state forests but the guide only covers Tiadaghton a bit south of where you are talking about (Little Pine area) I have ridden a trail called Naval Run out of Slate Run. Part of it is Black Forest Trail system..not sure of access issues with that trial though??? I have ridden some of the Trout Run road area in the same vicinity. I think there is tons of potential just very little published or mentioned here on mtbr about the area. Lots of long ups and long downs...not much in between. Let me know how you make out. I plan on continuing to explore riding in the area and would share any info. I gain.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    I know that area like the back of my hand. There are a few fun trails with a mix of fireroads right out of the state park.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member

Fin, Fur & Feather?

Has anyone stayed at that place called Fin, Fur & Feather on 44 in Hayneville?

Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    I know that area like the back of my hand. There are a few fun trails with a mix of fireroads right out of the state park.

mtbr member
    My father in laws place is really close (half mile) from the Fin Fur Feather. Its a little general store, sells gas and serves breakfast. As far as staying there I cant say. I am really familiar with the trails/state forest roads in the area and very familiar with the Mt. Top Inn / Bar just down the road! One possibility is the network of State Forest ATV trails which can be accessed from 44 near the top of the hill or from 414 along the bottom of the ridge. Like I said though...looooooooong ups and looooooooong downs in much of the area.

link to map http://www.paatving.com/trailspics/tiadaghton.htm

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    I was there in 2005 when they drained the lake. We started biking the trails in the park but the family backed off and I didn't complete it. They looked good to me. You also may consider Hyner View Park near Hayneyville, PA. Although, I am not sure what they have there. Bald Eagle SP shouldn't be too far either.

You could also ride the rail trail along the Pine Creek. There is a trail head @ Waterville.

The image attached is the bottom of the lake when they were cleaning it out after the floods of 2005. That is my son.
    That's funny, I just remembered, I also have a picture of the lake when they drained it. Click on my profile and check out the picture of me jumping off the retaining wall onto the dry lake bed.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member

Great breakfasts

We ate at the Mountain Top & had a great breakfast @ Fin Fur & Feather! Nice folks that run that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrush
    My father in laws place is really close (half mile) from the Fin Fur Feather. Its a little general store, sells gas and serves breakfast. As far as staying there I cant say. I am really familiar with the trails/state forest roads in the area and very familiar with the Mt. Top Inn / Bar just down the road! One possibility is the network of State Forest ATV trails which can be accessed from 44 near the top of the hill or from 414 along the bottom of the ridge. Like I said though...looooooooong ups and looooooooong downs in much of the area.

link to map http://www.paatving.com/trailspics/tiadaghton.htm