mtbr member
    Apr 2006

A little blood, a little sweat, and alot of fun.. my first ride.

OK. ALOT of sweat.. I set out this morning to Marsh Creek on what would be my first trail ride in about 8 years, first time with a FS bike, and first time with clipless pedals.. I was a bit nervous but excited to get out there. So, I arrived a little before noon (11:50) and hit the trails. 11:52 I'm on my face OK, I get up.. just a scratch.. it was uphill so I was going pretty slow, which was the problem in the first place. To my surprise, that was the last tumble of the day. I'm still not used to clipless and find it easier to unclip my left pedal when I hit anything technical, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I had a blast overall, and can't wait to get back out there.

On a final note, I have even more respect than ever for MTBers, my legs were dead after about 30 minutes which took me by surprise since I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, I run, bike (stationary), and lift weights, as well as play hockey and other sports atleast 6 days a week. I guess it's just a kind of exercise I'm not used to.. maybe I should have got a DH bike

Thanks for the tips and help, this forums been great.

By the way, the trail looks pretty good, it's not that wet (maybe 2-3 puddles, one unavoidable) on the blue trail. I didn't really see any obstacles that didn't look like they were supposed to be there, maybe a hanging branch or two that could be moved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    On a final note, I have even more respect than ever for MTBers, my legs were dead after about 30 minutes which took me by surprise since I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, I run, bike (stationary), and lift weights, as well as play hockey and other sports atleast 6 days a week. I guess it's just a kind of exercise I'm not used to.. maybe I should have got a DH bike
    Very cool...sounds like you had a good time! Sometimes I feel the same way...I love the downhill, but going up is torture. But...I feel like I'm getting stronger w/ every ride, so keep at it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sounds like you had fun! I'm just getting my brother in to biking. It's fun to see how much he's enjoying it. He's an avid runner, but he said mt. biking is a waaaaaaaaay much better workout AND it's fun. That's a plus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Definitely had fun. The fact that it's a good workout is a great bonus. I've been trying to run less these days because I have questionable knees/shins, so this is going to be a great replacement.

mtbr member
    Hi le0p, I was in the same boat as you Lifting weigths 3 days a week, squatting 300 pounds 3 sets of 3 I just started about 2 weeks ago riding the stationary bike at the gym. I was riding about 11 miles in a half hour doing a variable program. I bought the bike about a month ago and haven't ridden on a trail yet, your post inspireded me more and I did it this weekend and the gym doesn't have a program for what the difference was. I was spent after 20 minutes. Thanks I think. Deffinetly better than running on a road.
    Big Man on a Little Bike