mtbr member
    May 2013

List of All Pennsylvania MTB Trails

I'm trying to locate a list of all the major trails located around PA with trail details or a link to online information.

Anyone know if there is such a thing or is that just a crazy concept?

Is this something that can be added to this forum? I'm not really sure what the forum rules are or whatever so I wouldn't want to just start plastering trail information and links without at least seeing if it's allowed.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    "I wish"

There's the IMBA project => MTB Project by IMBA - PA view that's growing and effectively crowd-sourced.

But predating that I started my google map in '09 when I moved to PA. Shamelessly taking info where I found it - mostly giving credit on the popup as the only omissions are unintentional. It started as NE PA only but has grown over time as my interest in other locations has broadened.

bear's map linky

Feel free to send me links to more info via PM, I may miss them if only shared here.

Over time the biggest advantage the Google Map has over MTB Project is that you can download a KML of the Google Map and use that as a list of waypoints to stuff into your GPS (sometimes you need to convert it to GPX format first, but that's machine specific). I keep a copy of this in the GPS I use for car-nav.

mtbr member
    Hey Bear, Cool Map! Looks like that took some serious effort to put together.....this will be helpful to new riders....Nice job! I noticed you have my old house on the map....I like the description you give for that location......Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bear, awesome map. It would be really cool to have some version of that "stickied" or whatever they call that in the forums where the post always stays at the top.

I did find a cool list of PA trails with reviews.

I haven't spent a lot of time reviewing it or anything but first glance it looked pretty thorough.

The White Jeff W
    The MTBR trail reviews is a good place to start. At least you have a list of most of the trails in state.

Pennsylvania Trail Reviews

Here's a map of all of the PA state parks that have bike trails. Note that they're not all MTB, some are paved or gravel. Each park should have a trail map on their page.

PA*DCNR*-*Where

Allegheny County parks with maps

Parks Department Maps

More around Pittsburgh that might not be on the county list

Parks & Maps | PTAG - Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group

Beaver County (Brady's Run and Brush Creek)

Parks & Recreation - General Information | Beaver County Government
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post

Over time the biggest advantage the Google Map has over MTB Project is that you can download a KML of the Google Map and use that as a list of waypoints to stuff into your GPS (sometimes you need to convert it to GPX format first, but that's machine specific). I keep a copy of this in the GPS I use for car-nav.
    Sorry to butt in, but I stumbled on this thread and just wanted to point out that at MTB Project, you can download the GPX file for any trail. Just look for the "GPX File" link towards to top of any trail page, just under the name of the trail. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trails in West and North Springfield PA

Hey All, Older Newbie, having a blast re-discovering biking. Thought I'd fill you in on a few trails in Erie County that I haven't seen mentioned. All are shorter and I use them for my weekly rides when I don't want to drive too far.

Erie Bluffs State Park, Rt 5, North Springfield. Head west for an easy warmup thru corn fields before you get to the fun stuff. This is a trail that follows the creek down to Lake Erie. It's wet, muddy, twisty, fun. About 4 miles back and forth. There are other trails thru the woods as well.

State Game Lands 314, West Springfield, PA. Head to the very Northwest corner of PA. There are logging / ATV trails that extend into Ohio. Mostly fast widetrack. Usually wet. Nice views of the lake. I've only ridden the main trail to just past the Ohio line. There are likely many more trails branching off.
    Also, there is an abandoned rail bed between Rudd Rd and Stateline Rd. Look on Google Maps and you can see it. This is mostly flat widetrack. Good for easy riding, but not technical.

Snowmobile trails - there is a network of trails in the area. I ride a short section on land that is in the SE corner of Rt 20 and Rt 6N. Access is behind the Home Tavern on Rt 20. Short, wet, wide. It's my daily trail when I don't have time to travel.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike at MTB Project View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but I stumbled on this thread and just wanted to point out that at MTB Project, you can download the GPX file for any trail. Just look for the "GPX File" link towards to top of any trail page, just under the name of the trail. Enjoy!
    Mike, what MTB project needs is an easy way to download the starting coordinates for all rides in a given quad. That would be similar to the Google kml download I was referring to.

Thanks for the good work on MTB project though, you're going to be seeing tracks of mine appear as I get organized.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4