Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Levittown / Philadelphia area

Any one in the Philadelphia area have any secret spots that they care to disclose? I live in levittown/Bensalem area and would like some new people to ride with!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Usually I ride Neshaminy High School since I live right by it. Then I go up to Lake Nockamixon if I want to do a faster single track type of ride.

mtbr member
    I ride Neshaminy all the time. Maybe I have seen you there lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ride Pennypack. I start at the Pine road entrance where Philadelphia borders Montgomery County. Some new techy single track over the past few years. There are a lot of trails here, so it would be better to go with someone who is familiar. I go whenever I can if you'd like to meet up.

I never rode Neshaminy. Its 20 minutes from me. I'd like to check it out.

mtbr member
    I have only ridden pennypack once. And not very much of it. Neshaminy is very well maintained. It's basically the only place (other than wissahickon) that's worth driving to that's close around here

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I tried to ride Pennypack but couldn't determine where the trail started at pine road. I usually ride the paved roads on my road bike every once in the while there.

Last time I've been in Nesh I got lost, I used to know the trail some what well way back when i was in highschool but since forgot all of it.

Never been to wissahickon but I want to go this year since I just really started to ride late last year again.

mtbr member

Re: Levittown / Philadelphia area

Wiss is crazy. Lots of great man made opsticals. Very wide trails. Then there are crazy little shoots all over the place to drop in to.

mtbr member
    one of my favorite parts of wiss!

Levittown / Philadelphia area-2013-11-16-15.26.56.jpg

very sketchy. just how i like it

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If I go to Neshaminy, where should I park and enter the trail? Is it a loop, or will I have to reverse directions to get back to my car?
    I've heard from several that the trails are pretty decent, I've just never been.

Thanks!!

BTW, if anyone wants to ride Pennypack, let me know. I'll show you the trails. They're mostly twisty, tight single track with a good amount of pedaling. Not a lot of "flowy" trails.

mtbr member
    You drive in to the school and go right drive alllllll the way around. Past the busses and then there is a parking lot in the back (I will make a Google map picture on my pc in a bit) Park there and there are 2 or 3 different entrances. The trails are mostly straight, up and downs. The loop back on them selves in a few different spots. But they follow the creek mostly. So you do have to turn around and ride back.

Once the winter goes away(how 'bout this snow? ) and I start riding more I would love to meet up and ride. My main riding friend sold his bike with intent to buy a new bike shortly, but has fallen a bit in hard times so he will not be buying another bike quite so quickly

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^ I'm in Huntingdon Valley. 12 inches of snow in my backyard and still falling! So far this winter I've been riding at least weekly. I've even been out when my water bottle froze! I bought a new bike this summer and haven't been able to stop riding it since.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out NHS once all tis white stuff gets sorted.

DOn't forget to look me up when you come out of hibernation. I'd enjoy meeting up.

mtbr member
    Here it is. the red line is the way in. the x is where to park. and the lines in the woods are (very) rough trail marks

Levittown / Philadelphia area-nesh-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's a actual map of Neshaminy's trails.

Levittown / Philadelphia area-613823d1305208086-neshaminy-high-school-idlewood-trail-during-day-neshaminy2010.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^ 1up'ed

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sweet. thanks for the help!

Is it copacetic to ride there while the kiddies are in school? Or is this a weekend/evening jaunt?

mtbr member
    I have. Just don't be to obvious. And plan to ride until after they get out of school!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I also forgot to mention about Core Creek Park. It's a beginner trail from what I've heard. I road part of it over the past summer and it's a very flat and narrow single track.

Here's a map I found of it. Apparently it's about eight miles long or something like that.

Levittown / Philadelphia area-corecreekreport.jpg

banned
    Apr 2009
    very sketchy. just how i like it
    there are 2 of those there (stay off them when they are wet!)

I have never seen anyone fall there (but every time I hear the ambulance sirens and see the on Forbidden Drive I always assume it is from folks who fell at that place??)

banned
    Apr 2009
    Neshaminy is Insane!!

I went when school was out and parked right next to the field (across from school) when there a few times.

There is a gate around the top (to not fall over I guess?)

also I hear the school has a MTB class there.

My first ride there I stepped in a hole (mole??) right around the first turn from the main front entrance (then fell backwards...) but did not break my ankle and all was well.

Neshaminy is part of THE MASS MTB Series...

p.s. It is hilly at spots and don't know how well that would do in ice and snow (unless you have studs on your tires?)

and you should be in shape to ride those trails well...

mtbr member
    Yeah. Its very up and down. And not to be ridden when it's wet unless you like eating mud and cleaning your derailleurs

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The MTB class they have only does some of the trails. I used to do them back when I took the class, graduated from there in 06.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got back from my first ride at NHS. I wish I would've looked at the trail map before hand. A lot of trail intersections. I couldn't put together a decent loop. I mosty felt like I was searching for the right way.

After looking at the trail map, I think I'll have a better experience next time. Thanks for that map.

The conditions were mostly good. the "planks" section was muddy (it probably always is).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    QUOTE=Windyroad;10951493]Here's a actual map of Neshaminy's trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	613823d1305208086-neshaminy-high-school-idlewood-trail-during-day-neshaminy2010.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	864017[/QUOTE]

I rode the white course on Sunday. It kicked my ass. I made it up all the climbs, but I had to rest at the top. I had to dismount on the section marked "Bow Tie". That was a sketchy, steep switchback where I came in too hot!

It was much better this time around withthe proper map. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've rode Core Creek a handful of times, I like it there though I consider myself a beginner.
    Right now I ride a lot behind Playwicki Farm (not park). I dont need my car to get there so it's really convenient. Mostly single track dirt with a good amount of hills. It's not super big back there, but there's a few loops so it's good for an hour's ride. Also, theres a few entry points including in the local neigborhoods. There's a fair amount of pedestrians and a lot of deer, but it's a good challege with the tree roots and hills. I normally ride after 5pm during the week or early late morning/early afternoons on the weekend.
    I'm new to the forum and don't have anybody to ride with at the moment, my buddy is between bikes. Message me if you want to ride one day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    so do you any of you want to meet up tomorrow (4/19) for a local ride? core creek, neshaminy, etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast