Jason

New question here. Lehigh Gorge trail head.

What's the best way to get there coming from West Wyoming? Haven't been there yet and would like to check it out this weekend.
    Jason

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you want to leave at the White Haven Access point, so..it's pretty simple.

For you the best way is get on the turnpike there in Dupont, go South to the Pocono Exit. After the toll, go to the traffic light, make a right, Rt 940....go about 3 or 4 miles to White Haven. On the left you will see a small shopping center..just look for the yellow caboose, pull into the lot and go to the back and you will see the signs for the trail head.

I was just there 2 weeks ago and did a ride. If you want to do the entire 25 mile one way trip and ride the shuttle back up, you can buy a ticket right there at the trail head from Pococo Whitewater Tours.

Have fun!
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

Jason
    Thanks! I may just end up doing the trip out and back. We'll see how I feel about it once I get to the lot.
    Jason

mtbr member

"uphill/downhill"

Just a side note regarding that trip...I've done the trek from Haven to JT and JT to Haven and it's pretty noticeable how the trip south from White Haven to JT is noticeably "easier/faster" because it is a slight % grade downhill compared to coming back from JT to White Haven. Sometimes with the wind blowing you gotta keep pedaling when going northbound rather than moments of coasting coming from the White Haven direction south. It's an excellent change of pace to do that ride putting on some good miles along a scenic route, especially in the Fall. Actually I kept the pace pretty high and got a good workout to boot.

mtbr member
    ^ Oh yeah, the return from Thorpe to WH will catch you by surprise especially if you rode "Down" the first leg. Two weeks ago I did the trip with the scouts from Plains here for their merit badge qualifications....they have to do it again..they need that 50 mile ride so...they get to do the upgrade for the first half next weekend!

It's not bad actually and like you stated it's a nice change of pace.

I do however challenge anyone to climb the old "Penn Haven Plane" off the Gorge trail!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FYI, there's a Subway in Thorpe near the outlet for the TH, and it has an ice-cream store adjunct. Great mid-day stop. ;^)

mtbr member
    ^Yep..convienent as allhell too now that the trail extends all the way thru to the parking lot across the street just about!

Rolling on 650b
    Penn Haven Plane? I know an old trail that cuts off the rail-trail to the west and climbs up the Broad Mt. to meet up with the Uranium Road, just south of Penn Haven junction. Is that the climb you're talking about? Rode it once all the way, but that was years ago. I was on it last year and erosion has left it in pretty sorry shape. The bottom section of it is still pretty good though, and its worth the climb up to ride back down.

mtbr member
    The PH Plane trail cuts off and immediatly starts that long steep climb, and heads off in the direction of Weatherly to meet up with the main line.

Here is a long ago pic:
    http://www.gingerb.com/CNJ%20Pen%20H...20view%201.jpg

Another angle:
    http://www.gingerb.com/CNJ%20Pen%20H...20view%202.jpg

An up to date pic of the beginning of what is left of the plane. You can just pick out the trail as it heads up:

mtbr member
    Sorry, forgot to answer the first part of your question Clipless....yes I believe that is the same trail, actually that meets up with the main line, crosses Quakake Creek and heads off toward Hudsondale. Spooky section between the old removed trestle & Hudsondale, esp those old concrete walls. Anyone have an idea what that was?

Rolling on 650b
    Right, or you can take one of the two singletracks off to the west, back the main Broad Mt. loop.