mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Lehigh Gorge Trail

Hi all...

My wife and I are heading up to Jim Thorpe tommorrow and I was wondering if anybody has ridden the Lehigh Gorge Trail. My wife is concerned that it may be too much for her as she is used to riding on very flat trails...such as the Delaware & Raritan Canal. This trail is very flat. Is the Lehigh Gorge Trail flat also?

Thanks for any info...

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbobjr
    Hi all...

My wife and I are heading up to Jim Thorpe tommorrow and I was wondering if anybody has ridden the Lehigh Gorge Trail. My wife is concerned that it may be too much for her as she is used to riding on very flat trails...such as the Delaware & Raritan Canal. This trail is very flat. Is the Lehigh Gorge Trail flat also?

Thanks for any info...
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, if I recall correctly, the Lehigh Gorge trail is an old railroad grade. It varies from flat to gently-sloping downhill grades. I think Blue Mountain Sports and/or Pocono Whitewater Adventures run shuttle vans that will drop you off about 20 miles from J.T. and you & your wife can take your time rolling back down into town.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

p.s. According to Blue Mountain Sports, the trail is 0 - 60 miles of 'level railroad grade' and is suitable for beginners.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, if I recall correctly, the Lehigh Gorge trail is an old railroad grade. It varies from flat to gently-sloping downhill grades. I think Blue Mountain Sports and/or Pocono Whitewater Adventures run shuttle vans that will drop you off about 20 miles from J.T. and you & your wife can take your time rolling back down into town.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

p.s. According to Blue Mountain Sports, the trail is 0 - 60 miles of 'level railroad grade' and is suitable for beginners.
    Flatter than flat. And almost as smooth as pavement. You won't find anything off road smoother. If you can't ride here, you can't ride anywhere.

Do You Like To Climb?
    Sep 2004
    Take her! You'll enjoy being outdoors. It is a great trail. Yes, it is very flat. . . My wife had trouble with the distance end to end and back, but it was an enjoyable and scenic ride.

There are other trails to try as well, if you want something more challenging. Head to the LBS and pick up a trail map.

I'm in Los Angeles now but have a pic of my wife on the Lehigh Gorge trail right here on my desk. . . . .