Nice no rass

Laurel Mtn. trail conditions.

Just wanted to let anyone interested in LM's trail conditions know...

Rode today for the first time after a lot of hiking the last few weekends. It's pretty dry and totally ride-able now. A few puddles here and there, but for the most part; very dry even though there are still some small patches of snow left. Rocky Gap still had about 3' of snow in the final rock section.

Enjoy, the riding was awesome today.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Superb. Much anticipated news, thanks for the info TRG.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    I actually meant to post a TR from Friday morning.

I was really surprised by how dry the trails were. The patches of snow were very few and in the places you'd expect them (end of rocky gap, the middle of outcrop where you go through the tight rocks and the far end of outcrop where you go through tight pines coming out onto silver mine rd). There were a few places with some standing water, but not many.

The other thing that surprised me Friday morning was the inversion. I came through Laughlintown about 8AM and it was 47 degrees and I was thinking oh F I am going to freeze (only had shorts and 3/4 jersey). When I got to the top of the mountain ten minutes later it was 74. That's pretty serious inversion. I ended up sweating the whole ride.

A question for any LM riders...I tied in Wolf Rock and Fish Run on my ride. When you are coming from the gated parking area for Wolf Rock trail and make the left onto the first section of trail...there is a pretty permanent plywood structure off to your left in the woods that's painted spray paint western PA camo. I think once the leaves are up you wouldn't see it. Anyone know what it is and if its known/allowed by the DNRC?

Nice no rass
    Interesting, I've never seen that before and I ride there a lot. Was it on Wolf Rocks or the new Fish Run trail? If it's the new beginning of Fish Run, I haven't been on it this year, which would explain why I haven't seen it.

I also noticed a line of trees that were posted no trespassing on your right as you enter Outcrop from the gas well service road to Silvermine. I never noticed them in all my years up there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the trail report. Were there any large trees down?
    If so, do you remember which trails?

Lhorba has a trail cleanup day next Sunday and I haven't made it over yet to scout the trails.

All are welcome. April 11 at 9 am at the warming hut.

Nice no rass
    No, I think the XC skiing was so active this winter, they kept on top of it as the snow melted to keep the trails open. There are a few smaller ones, but nothing worth mentioning and at the rate the bikers are cleaning them up/turning them into new features, they'll be handled by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I rode LM this afternoon with my father and found the trail conditions to be phenomenal, it's suprisingly dry overall. Rocky Gap will need a week more to be completely clear of snow, probably more, but man was it nice......drnick, I'm going to try and join you guys next weekend for the trail work/ride.

mtbr member
    Too Rass Goat -- the wood "shed" is actually at the beginning of Wolf Rock Trail. If you took Silvermine Tr to the gated parking area for Wolf Rock, as you went through the gate and the trailhead is on your left, this structure is back in to the left. If you are on the gravel road it is to your left and if you are on the beginning of Wolf Rock Tr it is to your left...if that makes sense.

The posters on Outcrop have been there as long as I can remember. I am 99% certain that it is Rolling Rock property. From what I'm told, they don't take kindly to trespassers...so stay on the trail there!

drnich -- there was one reasonably sized tree down on Black Bear getting near the intersection with Rocky Gap. It wasn't huge and could potentially be ridden over, but definitely needs cleared IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The first mile was wonderful until....Doh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurel Mtn. trail conditions.-cracked-frame-resize.jpg  

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    laurelbliss, that alloy or carpet-fibre?

sad and icky, either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Unfortunately it's carbon fiber on a 2009 GF HiFi Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here's a few from our Easter Sunday ride on the rocks. Wanted to post them sooner, but computer issues wouldn't let me. Conditions were beautiful, a couple of wet areas, but nothing major. Really good conditions for this time of year.
    Fish Run below the Hobblebush intersection.
    IM000136
    IM000137
    Wolf Rocks headed toward the overlook.
    IM000143
    Wolf Rocks Loop, my personal favorite.
    IM000151
    IM000153
    IM000161

Overall 19 miles, mostly trails, just a couple of short roads to connect it all together and get the heart rate out of the red zone. Good stuff.

Dave

mtbr member
    Two comments on your pics:

1. Always love to see the lefty.

2. Whichever one of you is riding the fully rigid bike at LM, especially on trails like Wolf Rock Loop and Hobblebrush....all I have to say is respect.

Happy riding!