Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Laurel Mtn sanitizing

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  drnich 
#1 ·
I was very bummed to see all the log crossings cut out and even some lines in rock gardens filled with dirt to make them easier. Anyone know if this is the work of the DCNR or some XC weenies that need beetchslapped?

#4 ·
You noticed it too. Total B.S., the place is becoming a freeway of crushed stone trails and that ticks me off. I know that the XC skiers did a bunch of the initial paving of trails like Wolfs Rocks and the connector up to silvermine. I asked one of the XC skiers WTF? And his response was "XC skiers were here before Mtn bikers" I guess they want to be able to XC ski when their is only 3" of snow on the trails? Sucks.

#5 ·
I don't get what they've been doing. The last 5-6 years, there has only been enough snow to XC ski up there maybe a handful of weeks the entire winter. The paving of Spruce Flats makes no sense because it leads to wolf Rocks and you'd need 3' of snow to cover those rocks and be able to ski it.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the horse back riders complaing since I've seen a growing number of horseback riders there since last year. If this is the case, trails have been sanitized where no horse should be going anyway. Too much risk of injury in those rocks. If it is the HBRiders, we need to get together and do something, because I for one am sick of all the piles of horse **** in the trails. They need to bag those horses if they are going to ride there. The HBRiders have over 60 miles of snowmobile trails to use in the Summer, leave the rocky trails alone for the MTB'ers and hikers.

#6 ·
not the equestrians

This "paving of trails" has absolutely NOTHING to do w/ equestrians. This is the work of the XC skiers, in particular the YCC(youth conserv corps). Not the kids themselves. The guy who supervises the YCC(cant remember his name) is an xc skier who feels that every trail at LMT should be a highway. The trail behind the warming hut was the first to be treated in this way, then spruce flat, part of Wolf rock, etc. Unfortunately, the district forester had no idea what a rock garden is. He DOES now. The outcrying from the MTB community was pretty loud. He recieved enough emails and phone calls from pissed off bikers that he is looking for alternate methods to repair wet trails. This has been an issue in the past that I am hopeful that is now resolved.

Last fall we repaired a few bad sections of the trail between the park lot and Wolf rock loop. We tried to minimize the shale, used large rock instead of logs as fillers, and hopefully this will be the method of repair in the future.

Last spring the LMVG(Laurel MT Vol Group) was formed. This is a group made up of representatives from LHORBA,PORC, Ski patrol, LH Snowmobile clubI, and equestrians. I represent LHORBA on this board and have been working w/ the district forester on issues such as this. Last year we had 4 trail workdays(3 at laurel mt and one at RRNA). We repaired several areas of trail, in addition to building a 1 mile section of new singletrack.

Anyone who would like to see the trails remain rocky and technical and fun to bike, PLEASE SHOW UP FOR A WORK DAY AND GET INVOLVED. The skiers have been out for all of these traildays.

This is the only way to make a difference.

I will post the next workday. Any ? shoot me an email.

John

#7 ·
I've never heard of a trail day. Post a date and I'll try to be there.

The armoring done up top along Towhee and Lippos is great, but that was never rocky to begin with.

What happened to Spruce flats? Was there no way to leave a rocky section on one side and pave the other? It's very wide in there and now that entire rock garden is gone.

#8 ·
The armoring of Lippos and Towhee was done by us last spring using the technique I referred to, as was part of WR. The really bad swampy section of WR was done by the YCC using the old corduroy technique. Even though is was excessive it did fix a really bad swampy area.

Dont know about the spruce flat-before my time here.

When you get a chance, please take notice of the trail between the WR parking lot and the WR loop. There were some horrible sections we armored in the fall. Let me know what you think. I am hopeful this is a much better solution.

#13 ·
Good discussion

Dr nich...

I'm on Jeffs list so I must have nissed the email. I'll make sure he keeps me informed as I would gladly help keep Laurel cool. Thanks for all you hard work and commitment.

Matt,

Thanks for the offer. We are heading to Mohican in OH this sunday to ride with some of Joana's teammates, and to get a preride in for the Mohican 100. Keep me in the loop though...

chris

#14 ·
I was just up there yesterday for my first real mountain bilking excursion. I rode the wolf rocks trail out the the rocks, then took the loop back. I'm officially hooked now. Where can I find more trails like this?

Also I would be willing to help out with some trail conservation efforts. I live in Pittsburgh, let me know.

#15 ·
drnich said:
in addition to building a 1 mile section of new singletrack.

John
Are you talking about the section of fish run at the top that parallels the road? That is a nice section of trail. I liked how it twists and turns its way to the parking lot and included some log overs and tight maneuvers over rock armoring.

I don't get to ride there often as I live in eastern section of the state but it is a great place to ride and bring my bike any time I am out that way. I do agree w/ the op, and others who noted, that some sections seemed to be dumbed down, especially the wolfs rocks loop. Good to hear that mtb's have joined together to help keep the true nature of the trails and yet maintain them in a responsible manner. I

#16 ·
Yes, that is the new section of Fish Run we built last spring. Built by bikers from LHORBA, PORC and PTAG and a few others.

I forgot to mention about the logs. Most of the trails at Laurel MT have as their primary designation XC ski trails. According to DCNR, all trails that are not labeled as "Expert MTB" are to have deadfall removed. This is not just at LMT. all state trails are to be done this way when doing trail maintenance.

The expert trails at LMT are pretty well protected, as LHORBA built most if not all of them, and they have a primary designation as MTB trail.

Again, anyone concerned about these trails should join LHORBA, PORC and or PTAG, and come out for trail work.

#18 ·
I am moving to Pittsburgh this summer and you guys have me interested in Laurel Mt now, I was wondering if any of you have pictures of the wolf rocks trail?

Thanks
Keith

#20 ·
Too Rass Goat said:
I don't have any pics of Wolf Rocks. WR is just one of many great trails at Laurel. Once you're here, shoot me a PM, your welcome to hook up with our group and we'll show you around Laurel.

Any idea where in PGH you're moving to?
I am 90% sure that I will be in the Monroeville area, sometime between July and the end of August. I have alot of friends in that area.

#23 ·
Here's a map.

Its definitely on the rocky side. It's actually marked on the map as a hiking trail. If I had to take a stab about how this area was formed, I'd say that this was all of the rocks pushed forward by glaciers. The trail markers are colored paint on the trees. Its really easy to follow. Parking would be at Laurel Summit State Park.

#24 ·
Wolfs Rocks & Fish Run Pics

keith13 said:
I am moving to Pittsburgh this summer and you guys have me interested in Laurel Mt now, I was wondering if any of you have pictures of the wolf rocks trail?

Thanks
Keith
Had a wedding in Pburgh this weekend. Stopped at LM along the way and took some pics. To much fun to take many more.

#25 ·
Thanks for those pics, although I wasn't the guy asking for them! We rode Laurel damn near every weekend when we lived in the 'burgh (up until '02). Broke my first helmet up there. Even living down here in WV, I still miss Laurel Mt. While Slatyfork is a "mecca" and all, our families are back in PA. We just had our first child two months back and realize that we're ready to head back to civilization, where one can find restaurants, intelligent conversation, and more folks with teeth and full sets of chromosomes. We're looking at Ligonier. We would still get the mountain feel and be about equal distance between families.

Couple of questions:

Is the Pie Shoppe in Laughlintown still there? How about that great diner (can't remember the name) in Ligonier? Heard there were some new trails added across from WR (Fish Run, maybe?). Are they accessible from WR? What's up with open-again-closed-again ski area?

It might be a year until we get everything in place to move but I'm looking forward to rolling around Laurel Mt again.

Edit: Guess I should have looked at that map first...scratch the Fish Run question...

#26 ·
It is as you left it...only better

Pie shop- check, diner- check,Fish run- exceptional

Tons of great new expert trails too. We rode to laurel on Saturday from Hidden valley to ride with matt- aka Too rass. He is a great rider and good source of local knowledge.

I can assure you that the local mtb scene is strong. there are so meany great places to ride, and so many good people riding.

the crews from LHORBA, PTAG, PORC, speedgoat, dirt rag etc. do a great job of organizing work days, maintaining and preserving access to trails. Theresorts are stepping up and investing in some gravity riding. If the skiing were better, the laurel highlands would be damn near perfect.

If you move back, I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.