mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Laurel Mtn-Grove Run Trail-legal or no?

Is mtn biking allowed on all of this trail? Or is it only on some portion? Or all of it. Anyone know?

I've got some DNCR maps that seem to indicate that bikes are NOT allowed on that trail and yet I know that it gets ridden. Not looking to stir anything up, just looking to find out if I can ride it without having to look over my shoulder It's local to me, I've hiked it a few times, never ridden it.....

mtbr member
    The only place where there could be an issue is the little section of Grove Run that is actually in Linn Run State Park.

I am not 100% certain on this, but most of the trails that are in the State Parks are not open to mt biking, at least in that area (i.e. Adam's Falls trail, Flat Rock trail, etc.)

The majority of the loop, which is in the Laurel Highlands trail section of Forbes State Forest would be open to mt biking, as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Mike. I did some additional digging and found this info from Pa DNCR:

Mountain bikes are not permitted on hiking trails in Linn Run State Park, but are permitted on designated trails in Forbes State Forest.

So that seems to match your statement exactly. Looking at this map, I was suprised to see how little of Grove Run is actually in Linn Run State Park:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...s/fd04_map.pdf

Indeed, most of it looks rideable.
    Last edited by tuckaloe; 10-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.