Rider

Laurel Classic Mountain Bike Challenge

Hey there. I'm registered for this year's race up there near Wellsboro. Does anyone have this course mapped out in GPS??
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The ones titled "First part of race course" and "Short Coures" here http://connect.garmin.com/explore#ac...&currentPage=1, look like they are for the course listed here: http://www.twistedspokes.org/events.php

There are probably more on that first link, I didn't go past the first page.

Rider
    Thank you.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    what are these trails like?
    anyone ever race here before?

mtbr member
    Raced this course a few years ago. Long opening fireroad climb (2+ miles) onto some awesome singletrack, rip around for a bit, some open field/grassy stuff/singletrack along a cool creekbed/fire roads and a long grassy climb, followed by a rip roaring one of the best around descents. I'm signed up for the fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I know this thread is pretty old, but I haven't seen much else here on this race. Has anyone done this recently? I've never raced before and would consider myself an intermediate rider I guess; not too quick on climbing or comfortable on switchback downhills. I've ridden with people who train to race and got my ass kicked. When I'm in a mixed group I'm generally in the middle/front of the pack. With that said I think I still want to try out a race. Just kind of wondering what kind of people are usually there. Is it normally all faster riders where I'll just get smoked and be on a lone ride or is there actually a good beginner attendance? Thanks guys.

Rider
    There is a nice mix of skill levels represented there. Yes, there are some fast guys...and there are some slower guys who are just there for the experience. The last downhill section will keep you coming back. This is probably my favorite race.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Legs and Lungs

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Are the trails difficult?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by csheakos View Post
    Just go and do it, ride safe, and don't ride over your head. Don't worry about finishing place, just finish. Then you have one race under your belt and you have a memory you will keep. From there decide if you like this kind of activity and do another. Remember to make friends and have a good time.

Don't put any undue pressure on yourself, or let friends tell you how to compete, block out the negative and concentrate on the positive, like you said in your post. Use your strengths and go with them.

Be early to the start and warm up a bit before, ride and be aware of the course markers and don't get lost, remember your only goal is to finish your first race in one piece and unhurt.

Racing is really cool, and you meet lots of people who are doing the same as you!

Good Luck!

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by csheakos View Post
    I really don't think so (compared to Rothrock and Bald Eagle SF trails). Just the climbing and descending at speed. I second NEPMTBA. Just go ahead and sign up without any expectation and enjoy your day. I have fun every time I've done this race (4 out of the past 6 years).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The trails aren't bad but they are not technical at all. I have raced the short course and if you are questioning yourself, just do the short this year. There is a time cutoff before you start the 2nd half if you are not fast enough. It's pretty fun though, everyone is pretty chill but it's basically race, awards, leave.

Are you from the area? I live in Williamsport but work in Wellsboro.

Check out the Ole Bull race as well. That's a very easy course but a 12 hr do as many laps as you can type with a weekend of camping and hanging out. It's a good time.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    If they do the start as in the past you go up Straight Run Road (dirt road) a 4 mile climb, so just pace yourself cause your gonna be climbing for a while. Get in a rhythm and go for it. You will then do some singletrack and descend to more dirt roads. Pretty much more of the same with the longer course, but more singletrack and another climb back up.

Asaph Wild Area - Pine Creek Outfitters

PA¬*DCNR¬*-¬*Tioga Maps

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4194316