Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Latest Wiss. Theft Victim

Well, I should have learned my lesson from the previous Wiss. theft post, but I didn't.
    My SUV was broken into last Thursday between 1:15 PM and 2:30 PM. in the Wises Mill Rd parking area, right across from the Green Valley Inn parking area. I get dress in the bathroom at work, so my clothes and wallet are in my gym bag in my SUV while I ride. I figured all of the thefts were happening on the weekends in the lot up the hill from the Green Valley Inn, so I should be safe. NOT! The theif was able to take my credit cards and Social Security Card from my wall and place everything back in the SUV like nothing happened. I didn't know I was robbed until the credit card company called my wife who called me on my way home from work. The theif went to a Circut City in Philadelphia and got away with a $2500 PC. He also went to a Lowes in Langhorne. Luckly the salesperson at Lowes kind of caught on and tried to stall him until he could call the credit card company. The Lowes salesperson got a good description of him and his vechile.

Large bulky hispanic male at least 6 feet tall
    Drove a white pick-truck.

Circut City also gave the same desctription.

Trail eater
    What are we waiting for

For some reason I think he may have been given the card by someone who is working down there.
    Honestly, arent there some houses up on the hill or real close by this carpark. Maybe kids/teens or adults sitting back and watching from there.
    Im really very interested in this because its the same place (circuit city) they are spending the money at and also leaving behind everything but the credit card.

We need a huge sting. Scenerio like a nice car pulling up and parking. Dude gets out, changes into biking gear and makes it obvious that he's hiding his wallet in the glove box or trunk. Puts on camelbak (indicative of at least an hours ride) and rides off up the hill. Meanwhile, 5000 mountain bikers in camo gear armed with bike pumps, CO2 cartridges, tyre levers etc are perched in the bushes....waiting for the focker(s) to emerge

seriously, when is this focker gonna get caught?
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

---
    Jan 2007
    How about keeping nothing of value in your car? I mean how heavy or bulky is your wallet? I'd rather carry it then even need to remotely wonder if my car is safe. The locks on the doors are just an illusion, if someone wants in they'll get in.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwhl
    How about keeping nothing of value in your car? I mean how heavy or bulky is your wallet? I'd rather carry it then even need to remotely wonder if my car is safe. The locks on the doors are just an illusion, if someone wants in they'll get in.

We hear ya BUT you may as well carry everything Aren't all driver supposed to be carrying insurance papers and their license with them at all times?

We are lucky that they aren't taking those things otherwise should we all be carrying it in our camelbaks? The thing is that this has gone on far too long and its likely to get worse.

There's no excuse for something like this to keep on continuing like it has.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwhl
    That's lame - the whole 'it's the city, sh!t happens.' attitude. I do always carry my wallet with me, but it's like the 'mustard says - where do you draw the line when it comes to turning a blind eye to this problem or, worse, blaming the victim? When they go back to smashing windows again? Or when they start stealing cars from the lot?

It still pisses me off that someone broke into my car and screwed up my glovebox door trying to pry it open. It doesn't matter to me that nothing was stolen - it's the principle.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

---
    Jan 2007
    I agree it sucks to even have to think about this. My stereo was stolen out of my car last year. Smashed the window and it was parked in front of my garage behind my house. Since then I even keep my registration and insurance in my wallet. Now all I'd have to worry about is the car being stolen and thats probably easier to deal with then loosing your credit card or worse yet your whole wallet.

I guess my whole point is in the meantime don't set yourself up for theft. Park somewhere else or harrase the police until something is done.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

Yes
    Apr 2007
    I like mustard's idea of setting up a sting. But shouldn't the men in blue already be doing that since they know what is going on in those parking lots.

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by toastedsquidmelt
    I like mustard's idea of setting up a sting. But shouldn't the men in blue already be doing that since they know what is going on in those parking lots.

I WOULD LOVE to sit in

I would even film the whole thing!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I live right up the hill from the parking lot you're talking about, I would suggest parking up the hill and riding down. I have not heard of a single break in or theft near my apartment. I swear that parking lot, especially towards the top away from the trail entrance is sketchy car parking only.

I ride Wiss almost everyday, and there is usually somebody just sitting in their car, doing nothing. My favorite is the parked car with tinted windows bouncing it a familiar rhythm.

I've consider the logistics of putting a web cam in the trees over looking the parking lot. I figure Wi-Fi and bribing/begging a nearby house and a 500 ft ethernet cable (camouflaged of course!) might be the solution. Imagine like those "Surf cam" they have looking at the beaches, only we could watch sketchy people.

mtbr member
    Sounds like car wise the best thing to do is pretend you have a jeep or convertible. Don't leave anything in the car and leave the doors unlocked.

Hard to do after work though.

mtbr member
    I suggest C02 cartriges in socks. We can fly down hill on bikes and swinging them over our heads. Just remember, they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by szucchi
    Just remember, they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!
    I'd prefer to keep both, thank you very much.

If anyone is seriously considering the "citizen's patrol" approach, I applaud your efforts but please use caution. Discuss it with the local police. The fuzz may not have time to patrol the area themselves but they can at least offer some guidance on how to not get hurt or killed. Credit cards are replaceable; people are not.

Short of guerrilla warfare, our only options are to raise awareness, secure your valuables, and watch each other's backs.

mtbr member
    that really sucks having that pos breaking into your car...i like the idea of a sting but that may get ugly (for the other guy)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This type of sting sounds like something the local news channel's investigative team can do.

mtbr member

Common Sense

I have only been to Wiss once and I have to say this system was a lot of fun. I would love to get back here, but none of my guys want to take a chance on having their rides broken into. We did the Rally in the Valley earlier this year.
    I like the idea of a sting, but have to allow for common sense here as well. It's not worth the risk of getting yourself hurt, or for that matter hurting someone else. You could find your self in jail looking at serious time if you end up hurting something out of anger. You donít know what this fool or fools will provoke you to do.
    I say getting channel 10 involved could end up being a really good option. They are the pros at camera work and Iím sure they could set up something really tempting for the suspects.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Idiots. You're parking at popular parking area in which cars are broken into on a regular basis. The fact that you've previously read or heard about this type of thing going on there and ignored it is a testament to your ignorance and stupidity. Why would you keep anything of value in your car with this knowledge?

Oh...and taking the law into you're own hands with a sting operation? ...theres a brilliant idea. I hear the riding is great in federal pound you in the ass prison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In a city with 300 murders so far this year, surprising a criminal while in the act sounds like a great idea. Let me know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

sounds familiar

One of the beaches I fish down here in FL had a similar problem. A local went up a tree one morning and mounted a wireless cam and left. He caught the same guy breaking into 3 cars on video, cops knew him, he got arrested off the footage. It isn't a vigilante action when you don't try to make a citizen's arrest, just helping law enforcement. I do ride with my wallet on me, but mostly just because you never know where you'll see an ice cream truck. Hope you guys get it taken care of up there. When I used to ride up there, the trails were prime, but there were always too many shady people around the lots, not to mention the always angry joggers in that place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    I do ride with my wallet on me, but mostly just because you never know where you'll see an ice cream truck.
    ... I do the same thing even on back woods trails w/ no civilizaion for miles. I suppose I am always hoping that I will come across an ice cream man in the woods.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Has anyone run into any issues when parking at Northwestern Ave?

There seems to always be some follks walking back and forth here and although it's pretty close the nieghborhood is much nicer and the parking is more exposed.

PMBA Beer Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Has anyone run into any issues when parking at Northwestern Ave?

There seems to always be some follks walking back and forth here and although it's pretty close the nieghborhood is much nicer and the parking is more exposed.
    That is a nicer area and Chestnut Hill College is right there also, so NW shouldn't be a problem. If I am planning on riding by VG, I usually park in a neighborhood on the other side of Henry Ave and ride my bike down Wises Mill Road or Livezy or one of the other streets that lead into the park.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Action News

Sounds like a job for Nydia Han from Channel 6 Action News. Let them set up a sting vehicle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    Idiots. You're parking at popular parking area in which cars are broken into on a regular basis. The fact that you've previously read or heard about this type of thing going on there and ignored it is a testament to your ignorance and stupidity. Why would you keep anything of value in your car with this knowledge?

Oh...and taking the law into you're own hands with a sting operation? ...theres a brilliant idea. I hear the riding is great in federal pound you in the ass prison.
    Nice job calling someone an idiot after being a victim of a theft.

You wouldn't happen to be related to my landlord who scolded me after my new bike, which I hadn't owned more than 24 hours, was stolen out of my LOCKED building.

I don't care who leaves what in their vehicle, no one deserves to get hit like this, unless it's some ass like you who can put down someone who was just a victim of theft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Make sure you file a police report. If you don't file a report, it didn't happen as far as the police are concerned. Only if there is an increasing level of reports filed for the area will the police contemplate increasing their patrols.

mtbr member

Next Time

Quote Originally Posted by VWMTBScott
    Nice job calling someone an idiot after being a victim of a theft.

You wouldn't happen to be related to my landlord who scolded me after my new bike, which I hadn't owned more than 24 hours, was stolen out of my LOCKED building.

I don't care who leaves what in their vehicle, no one deserves to get hit like this, unless it's some ass like you who can put down someone who was just a victim of theft.
    Donít even reply to clowns like that. They thrive off things like this all the time and then argue with ill-mannered experience when you confront them.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast