Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Lancaster City Trails

I am well aware of all of SAMBA's trail network and then some. I grew up in Marietta so I know Chickies Rock County Park like my own hand. I know of Mack, Gretna, Rocky Ridge, etc...please don't suggest these places as they have all been suggested before.

I am interested in trails within Lancaster City Limits. I will be living out towards Millersville near the Conestoga, and I'm wonder what sections of the Conestoga might have trails open to the public. I'm looking for a mostly dirt route into and out of Central Park via Wabank Road area.

The way it looks now I may need to switch to Small Block Eights and make my trail ride more of a cyclocross ride.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Bump,

Has anyone approached county parts about building some more trail at Central Park?

mtbr member
    There is a trail at the shore of the connestoga river in central park that goes almost the full run of the park. It is not in the best of condition last I knew but you can start it either by the golf course/camp area or the chessapeake street bridge(right under it). Let me know if you want to get together sometime after work or weekend and we could go try it(I haven't since the big flood last year).

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Supersedona, do you know if those creek-side trails run through private property and if they are heavily marked as "no trespass" or at the neighbors open with using those trails if they do cross private property?

mtbr member
    As far as I know they are on the park side of the river and I never saw a exlusion sign other than in the Kiwanis area. In my naughtier times I have ridden the Kiwanis and I will say it is nicely set up to ride but it is a "nature" area and supposedly pedestrian only. Somehow there are multiple tire tracks at any given point though.

Anyhoo, the shore trail should be unrestricted as of last time I looked.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    < Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It doesn't help, but when I was a student at Millersville Univ. in the mid 90's, we used to ride to the main County Park and ride all of the trails there. I think only one trail in the park was closed to bikes then. They weren't bad. As recently as '02-'03, the Lancaster Bikeline branch had a demo day there. That's where I decided to buy a Klein Palomino in '03. Then the park closed most of the trails to bikes. We (Millersville University bike club) also used to ride to Conestoga/Safe Harbor and ride trails through the park there. Then they got posted against bikes too. Now I'm living in Landisville and am resigned to driving 40min to an hour for good trails.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Most of Lancaster Central Park is not closed to bikes, and I hope to have further discussions with the Parks administrator/planner and the board about why those trails have been closed. Most of it has to do with the assumption that bicycles create erosion problems, but I think this a flawwed assumption as most of the trails that have been closed to bicycles were in low-lying, wet areas, or were fall lines trails that were not property constructed in the first place.

Lancaster Recreation and Parks cannot continue to use MTB (or what few equestrians do use our trails) as blame for bad trail design and erosion problems. More over, it cannot continue to close trails and access down for us, and not allow us as volunteer to replace those closed trails by creating new sustainable trails.

banned
    Apr 2009
    There are soo few bikes there at all riding (so they certainly do not cause corrosion there.)

I used to like riding across the bridge (now that side has been closed for a year or 2) and the Conestoga trail (says erosion there also)--but the Rangers thought they were going to re-open them (but never have...)

They could use some trail builders there to build more trails (I would volunteer...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I haven't been to the central park in years, other than a maple syrup event with the kids. They should take a page from York County Parks who have loads of nice trails due to a good working relationship with YAMBA. I have helped build trails at Rocky Ridge a couple times. Another great example is Swatara SP due to the efforts of SAMBA. The crux of the problem is the lack of a vocal MTB advocacy group in Lancaster County. I can't solve the problem for the same reason I will never be rich: no talent, people skills, or self motivation. I'm a better follower than a leader.