mtbr member
    Jan 2010

In Lancaster area...

I live in Lancaster city and just got a new bike. I am so tired of the park and Gretna is all screwed up right now...couldn't even go down balers run to test my bike out. Where can I go around here (say up to 1.5 hours away) that I can find some smooth fast tracks with some smooth jumps and what not; maybe even later bridges if AV. I have been looking but everything local is all rocky technical and I just want to go fast and high!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmmm, big jumps but nothing technical. That's a strange and difficult combination to find. I think you can be at Blue Marsh in less than an hour. I can't think of any jumps there, but it's mostly smooth and fast, and not too technical. There's a 33 mile loop around the lake with plenty of parking spots to stash supplies or shuttle vehicles.

banned
    Apr 2009
    You are 20 minutes from The Lakes in 'York' off Route 30(a mile before S. George St.) One is right across the street from each other[haven't been there yet(trail conditions were red when I tried going), though they say it's a smooth ride)] check this site out....
    http://yamba.org/index.html

Nesimany(outside Philly) is smooth with many jumps there!

Your also an hour away from Fair Hill(next to 'University of Delaware' in Maryland at the border). 80 miles of smooth trails and fireroads...
    Last edited by 247; 03-29-2010 at 12:10 AM.

mtbr member
    I live in Lancaster city, and there are actually some fun techy things there and some drops, but you need to know where to look, they're off to the sides of trails. Rocky Ridge is fun and rocky, again, there are drops, but you need to know where to look. As far as built stuff, Mt. Penn in Reading and the Watershed at Gambrills in MD, thats an 1.5hrs from Lanc city. Oh, yeah! Wissahickon in Philly is always a good time. The pic of me wearing the green jacket with red/white helmet is Lancaster County Park, the fullface(it was really cold that day) helmet pic and the pic with me in green jacket black bike is Wiss, and the ladder pic is White Clay creek. White Clay is fun , but NOT techy at all, just a place to rip. The skills park is lame, but riding the trails are better than any rollercoaster!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (193.2 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (177.8 KB, 211 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (186.3 KB, 209 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (134.6 KB, 210 views)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I may try going to Mt. Penn in Reading and give that a shot. I don't have any way of getting shuttled up the road but I can give it a shot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This Sat 4/10, there is a shuttle day at Mt. Penn. 25 bucks will get you up the hill from 9-4. I'm definitely going and live in Lancaster, so you're welcome to follow us up if you'd like. There are 4 of us going so we will have a full truck.

mtbr member
    You're more than welcome to follow us. We have a full van, but we will be driving up from lancaster city that morning, pm me if interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I will have to think about it. I liked the place a lot and want to ride some more but my bike is not setup yet and I am still getting used to it. I was too chicken to go off of some 3 foot jumps! I will likely go up.

mtbr member
    Thats the best time to go then; lots of great people, and a shuttle truck. No need to stress about getting to the top, 'cause there will be a chauffeur to drive us to the top. Plus, you will be able to make changes to the bike and feel the differences immediatley on the way down, and then make any other changes when the truck drops you off at the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhopbikes
    Thats the best time to go then; lots of great people, and a shuttle truck. No need to stress about getting to the top, 'cause there will be a chauffeur to drive us to the top. Plus, you will be able to make changes to the bike and feel the differences immediatley on the way down, and then make any other changes when the truck drops you off at the top.
    I assume that you guys know the trails well up there? I only got to go down 2 of them....slowly because I brought my brother along and he isn't exactly a MTB guy. I found two rock ledge drops on a trial but I was too wuss to go off of them because I don't know my bike yet...be nice to follow some guys that know the trials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_first
    I assume that you guys know the trails well up there? I only got to go down 2 of them....slowly because I brought my brother along and he isn't exactly a MTB guy. I found two rock ledge drops on a trial but I was too wuss to go off of them because I don't know my bike yet...be nice to follow some guys that know the trials.
    Yes, we know them. But, there will be a TON OF PEOPLE there that know them too this upcoming Saturday. This will be the absolute best time for someone to come up and learn the mountain. PM me, you can follow us up there saturday morn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Um...we have a problem....tire caught my chain and destroyed my rx100 derailleur and bent some spokes. So....unless I can find someone with a comparable Derailleur and some spare spokes...I am out this week. No money thanks to taxes being due soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    LOL...so it is now 1:30 AM and I just got done getting my bike running. I didn't even think of the chain being screwed up when I killed my derailleur but I did so had to use parts from 3 old chains to make one good chain!