mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides

Myself and ptrskycam often ride Lackawanna State Park (LSP) on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings. We are trying to get some more people to ride with us, so I created this thread to post all future rides in advance. So if anyone wants to join in, please come out and ride !

Lackawanna State Park is located about 10 miles north of Scranton and has about 15+ miles of well maintained trails. Park maps are available throughout the park and on the PA DCNR webpage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riding LSP tomorrow 8/12/12 at 9:15am. Easy pace, frequent catch up points, no group member drops.

Meet at boat launch in the main entrance of the park at 9:00am

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    May have to take you guys up on that some weekend. Never rode up there yet, won't be able to attend tomorrow since a group of us are going to Swatara.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great ! Glad to hear we might have another rider. The conditions at the park have been great all year and the local volunteers and trail builders do a great job of keeping the park well maintained. The park also offers a nice mix of everything for all types of riders. Hope to see you soon !

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    JPCPA...

...thanks I will be up to ride with ya, and bring some others also!

Keep spread'in the good word!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ NEPMTBA.. Awesome ! Thanks, see you there !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Im in for a ride up there one weekend too

mtbr member
    yeah im sure i can bring another 3 or 4 =D

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Lsp

Fun today at LSP. Here are some pix... darn it -anyone know why I can't upload from my Mac? getting this error message:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great ride today at LSP. Did a 10.70 mile loop with ptrskycam. Despite the rains, the conditions were great. Thinking about another ride this Saturday 8/18 or Sunday 8/19. I will post in advance.

ptrskycam, not sure why photos aren't posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll be on vacation the next two weekends, but after that I'll definitely come up for a ride with you guys. I'm getting in better shape and better at riding, so I hope I won't slow you down as much as I did at Moon Lake.

mtbr member
    mini and i would be up fore a ride some sunday if you dont mine slow riders

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pictures from this past weekend's ride (Sunday 8/12/12). Photos courtesy of ptrskycam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-190007_524158527599518_1305548114_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-296980_524158500932854_2025270588_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-376716_524158417599529_2024751850_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-418526_524158467599524_308222645_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-426588_524158557599515_513306500_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Riding LSP this Saturday 8/25/12 at 9:15am. Easy pace, frequent catch up points, no group member drops.

Meet at boat launch in the main entrance of the park at 9:00am

wounded knee
    Last edited by dirtrider6; 08-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome ! We hope to see you there Dirtrider6. It will be a great ride !

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    JPCPA looks like we have 3 definite from the Moon crew and possibly 2 more coming up. Looking forward to riding up there since it will be my 1st time. See ya Saturday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    RRHINES - Sweet ! This is def great to hear. Saturday is looking to be a really nice day and we also have a nice loop planned out, so hopefully your first ride there will be a charm haha. Cant wait !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRHINES View Post
    JPCPA looks like we have 3 definite from the Moon crew and possibly 2 more coming up. Looking forward to riding up there since it will be my 1st time. See ya Saturday!
    mini and i can only do a sunday . i work every saturday . unless i take off weeks in ahead of time .

eci
    Rode LSP last night. its a pretty awesome trail system!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    im in coming up with rrhines and dirtrider6 cant wait

fish
    Feb 2011
    Have a great time saturday. Next time I plan to join you there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So far, the headcount for the ride tomorrow morning (Meet at 9am at boat launch in main entrance of the park) is Dirtrider6, RRHines, Justinkoolaid, ptrskycam, myself, and one other guy. Looking forward to riding with everyone that shows up. It's going to be a great day of riding !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great ride today at LSP. Thanks to everyone that came out for the ride !

I don't have the exact mileage, but I believe we (Dirtrider6, RRHines, JustinKoolaid, & ptrskycam) completed over 10 miles.

Conditions were great and we even spotted some interesting animals during the ride (One massive sized dog. Cant remember what kind, but really it was massive, a very hyperactive golden retriever, and a small/medium sized black bear).

wounded knee
    Had a great time today, thanks for showing us the trails, there's some really cool technical riding in there, and some of the hills are killers, what a blast!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looking forward to go back......great place to get some miles in!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks guys. It was great riding with you. Gotta come back to ride the trails in the northeast section of the park ! haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Looks like a great time, I am curious what kind of loop you are

doing? Even a general description would work if u don't know the trail names. Friends and I have no problem making up loops that will hit 5-7 miles but find ourselves "repeating" trails to get into the 10 mile range. Kennedy Creek, Bassett path, Turkey Hill are definite favs but Northwoods is fast becoming the favorite.
    p.s. Dirtrider, you would love using the pugs up at LSP. lots of fun - especially in winter. A friend and I run fats year round up there. Heavier and slower but fun rides!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    had a great time guys cant wait to do it again thanks for showing us the trails ps ill bring more water next time lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Team Honeybadger - The loop we do incorporates the entire park and covers about 97% of the park's trails haha. The entire loop is about 20-24 miles and the only trail that is repeated is orchard trail.

Basically, the loop begins on orchard trail and then works its way counterclockwise through the entire park. The loop ends by taking orchard trail back to the main entrance of the park. Also, a minimum amount of time is spent on the road during the ride.

Anytime we plan on doing the full 20+ mile loop, ill post the ride with a title of "EYW-20MR"

Below are some pics from this weekend's ride. Photos are courtesy of ptrskycam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-104.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-105.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-394408_529839383698099_1749922757_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-558543_529839263698111_104625813_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-558585_529839423698095_858871594_n.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-574810_529839307031440_1160295214_n.jpg  

Chilling out
    I'd love to see the 20m route too. ;^)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You never rode there Bear??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Thanks JPCPA for the tip on using Orchard at the beginning and

then as a return. Not so bad repeating a trail in reverse. I recognize most of the locations of your/your friend's photos. I am assuming the power line photos are from the top of the trails in the southern end of the lake?

I do not recognize the spot with the humongous dog but we still find new (new to us) trails/connectors at LSP from time to time. Today on Northwoods I saw a connecting trail for the first time that I must have rode past all summer. Still would love to see the 20-24 mile route since you are probably putting the loops together in a different pattern than us.

We will usually do some combination like Orchard to Bull cross creek to Northwoods down Frost or Snowflake cross road to the cardiac climb up Turkey down/cross Joey's back up Turkey and wind over/down Turkey to the back way to Ranger and then either Kennedy to Bassett back Lakeshore or back ATT to Ranger to parking lot. Haven't done zieglers or bull in a while but that would be a neat way to end up back at the parking lot via Orchard in reverse. Thanks again,

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Honeybadger - The power line photos are indeed in the southern end of the lake. I took those on quarry trail. The picture of the humongous dog was also taken on quarry trail. You should come out for a ride one weekend morning ! I'll post in advance when we are planning on doing the EYW-20MR.

Bear- The 20mile route is very similar to the ride we did with Jeff earlier in the summer. That ride was about 13 miles. We essentially just tweaked that route to incorporate orchard trail (2 times) as well as adding like 4 or 5 more trails onto the route. Also, the route doesn't start with the climb up Abington. Instead, it starts on Orchard.

fish
    Feb 2011
    Awsome pictures and trail desciption. I would definately like to join in on a ride there sometime!!!

Wizard of the Trail
    HoneyBadger, I know you don't care or give a Sh!t, but I heard there is like an Illuminati type thing happening at LSP. I thought the Hubbard riders were the guys doing maintenance, but I was corrected via YouTube. Be careful out there buddy. Lol. Remember, the shadow knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Here's a bit of visual info to share...
    ...great resources

I have included the links also as the maps might be more clear after downloading yourself.

Lackawanna state park maps
    PA*DCNR*-*Lackawanna State Park

Lackawanna SP trail on Country Conservancy property
    Countryside Conservancy | Lackawanna State Park Trails

Country Conservancy trails on preserves near LSP
    Countryside Conservancy | Trails on Preserves

I do have a 20 mile loop map. I'll see if I can find the old GPS file from a few years ago.

I would also encourage joining the Countryside Conservancy and/or helping Joe Tierney on workdays at LSP without these great organizations/individuals we would have much less to ride! I did not post Joe's email here, but if your interested please contact Lackawanna SP for more info on workdays.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-lsp.jpg  

Lackawanna State Park Weekend Rides-quarry-run-preserve-lsp.jpg  

wounded knee
    I was telling Pete how we rented Segways and rode Lackawanna State Park last year.
    Here's the video from the ride.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e_dYhTp1FOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    From what I was told, a group called LSPTC does the maintenance there. The only trace of the group I have found was a Facebook account under that acronym.

Wizard of the Trail
    Waiting on your map buddy. Thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Joe Tierney does the trailwork and organizes the work days there. He got the parks permission years ago to maintain them. Since then, he's done a ton of work to keep trails open.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

... and if we just ... re: LSP rides

@JPCPA - keep us posted on rides - I would be more interested in the 10 miler vs the 20 miler at this point but would still be interested in any loops or GPS maps just to mix up our rides a bit.
    @Geist - dont worry about the Illuminati, if I run into any I will start muttering under my breath about the heavy bike....steers like a truck......low air pressure..... works like a charm. At that point, they usually take a quick look at their hr monitor, barometer, altimeter, power meter and GPS before updating their facebook status and pedaling off into the sunset....no worries there.
    @NEPAMTBA - Great maps, those are more updated than the overhead ones I had on hand. Looks like a lot of trail was added beyond the quarry ridge section.
    @Dirtrider - love the segways - you should put the video to the Kiss (Detroit Rock City) like in Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
    @Bear - hey if you ever learn the secret handshake and manage to get ahold of that 20 mile loop be sure to lend a paw to the badger if you can spare a route or two - thx.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    @JPCPA - keep us posted on rides - I would be more interested in the 10 miler vs the 20 miler at this point but would still be interested in any loops or GPS maps just to mix up our rides a bit.
    @Geist - dont worry about the Illuminati, if I run into any I will start muttering under my breath about the heavy bike....steers like a truck......low air pressure..... works like a charm. At that point, they usually take a quick look at their hr monitor, barometer, altimeter, power meter and GPS before updating their facebook status and pedaling off into the sunset....no worries there.
    @NEPAMTBA - Great maps, those are more updated than the overhead ones I had on hand. Looks like a lot of trail was added beyond the quarry ridge section.
    @Dirtrider - love the segways - you should put the video to the Kiss (Detroit Rock City) like in Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
    @Bear - hey if you ever learn the secret handshake and manage to get ahold of that 20 mile loop be sure to lend a paw to the badger if you can spare a route or two - thx.
    LMAO!!!

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    Double post. BTW, LF, I did know Joe T organizes it, but was told on YouTube about LSPTC. the guys handle was like Joe3420 or something. Maybe it was Joe T.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I will offer...

...I also have worked with Joe Tierney and his name is on the Countryside Conservancy website with many thanks to him and his group for all he does!

I'm also glad to see JC and friends have stepped up to host rides at LSP many thanks to them also.

wounded knee
    Ok here's the long awaited video from the ride

Part 1

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z_wVRJXw2mI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qDzIRHbYccY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 3

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v4cbVcCkTro?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks DR6, good stuff once again!

Did Ozzy review it first and give it a 2 paws up?... LOL

fish
    Feb 2011
    Nice videos as always kevin!!!

So where is the place to park and start a loop? I saw that Orchard trail was mentioned....

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    You can park in the park at the main entrance...
    ...or the old boat launch to access other trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks Larry for the kind words. The group that builds, maintains LSP is LSPTC ( Lackawanna State Park Trail Care Crew). We have a Facebook page that all can "like" and get updates on the park & trails.

While I am the guy that organizes trail days , we rely on many volunteers and are always looking for more. Any one interested can like us on Facebook.

Happy Trails,

Joe Tierney

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Are you guys riding there next Saturday 10/20?

Members who have read this thread: 3