mtbr member

Good job! Lackawanna State Park.................

Visited Lackawanna State Park for the first time today. Will be back many times for sure. Started on Orchard Trail to Bull Hill to new trails that are not on map, dumped out on Wallsville road went back in on Cole road to Abington, headed up the hill on unmarked trail to Lee hill , to Ranger trail to Turkey Hill to Abington Trail, crossed SR 407 and continued on Abington trail to Frost Hollow....crossed over the old rickety bridge below the dam(not sure I would recommend doing this and will not do it again myself ) rode up and over the levee near dam and back on roads in the park to the parking area. This is a must ride location when up in the area, along with Prompton and Merli Sarnoski aka Fell Mountain. Thanks goes out to the group or groups that have built and maintained the trails. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm looking forward to going there for the first time sometime in the near future (maybe on Mother's Day). Do they have maps at the park?? Is the riding singletrack and does it offer any technical or difficult terrain? Any information about the park is greatly appreciated, as I want to know what to expect before I go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

dcnr state park

If you go on the dcnr website you can download the maps for the state parks if they don't have any available.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...northeast.aspx

mtbr member

Maps are available at the park...although the

ones in the kiosks were printed 4/03. One of our riders had a 4/06 version which showed more trails. We stopped and got a newer version map from one of the motorized rangers. The riding is varied....mostly singletrack...lots of stone wall crossings....flowing....muddy in some spots down by the lake....plenty of climbs...although very well thought out in terms of switchbacks and terrain use.....some stones placed to get through drainage areas...we explored for about 3 hours and did not catch all the trails...we did get completely around the entire park....you could research it on these boards and see what others say or check out the trail reviews on this site.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just got back a couple hours ago from my first LSP ride. The light rain only added to the fun. I also started with Orchard, down 438 to Cole road and Abington. Took Kennedy and Lee Hill to Rowlands Road. Crossed 524 to Abington Turkey Hill. Once I hit 407, I headed back to my car at the Lake View boat launch. I had a blast and can't wait for my next ride and the chance to explore more.
    Greg
    I may be late to the game and won't finish first, but I'll still be smilin'

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just rode there for the first time today. I started on Spruce/Grouse Trail to Hemlock Woods Trail to Woodland Ponds Trail to Hill Road/407. Went down 438 to Bull Hill and Tree Line Trail to 438 and Orchard Trail. I didn't ride any of the other trails on that side (Abington, Lakeshore, Lee Hill, Kennedy Creek, Turkey Hill). On the map I printed online, it lists these as multi use trails (cross country skiing, hiking, equestrian and biking). Are these are trails more like fireroads or are they singletrack like the other trails?? After my loop I rode around the park a bit and wound up taking Spruce Trail to the Dam. Went up Austin Road a bit and then there was a trail along the Tunkhannock. Are you allowed to ride that? It looked like a four wheeler trail (wider than the other trails) but I didn't see any bike marks in the muddy areas. Does anyone know where it leads?? I'm using the map in the previous post (or i'd never know any of the names!)

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    (Abington, Lakeshore, Lee Hill, Kennedy Creek, Turkey Hill). On the map I printed online, it lists these as multi use trails (cross country skiing, hiking, equestrian and biking). Are these are trails more like fireroads or are they singletrack like the other trails??
    These are all singletrack trails!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    I'm looking forward to going there for the first time sometime in the near future (maybe on Mother's Day). Do they have maps at the park?? Is the riding singletrack and does it offer any technical or difficult terrain? Any information about the park is greatly appreciated, as I want to know what to expect before I go.
    this park is great, i ride there atleast 2 times a week and love it. there are quited afew trails so if u go make sure 2 go across the street.There is so much variety i love it, theres tech trails simple fast trials, beginer, expert, there is really someting 4 every1....I'm sure u will like it, also hit um Merli Sernoski Park because there are some awesome trails there

mtbr member
    The maps that the park prints only have about 50% of the trails on them. They have not been updated in many years.

I believe if you go to the Hubbard bike clubs web page, you will find a map that is up to date. There are also trails that are on The Countryside Conservancy land that connect to the state park trails.

LSP is one of my favorite places to ride. It's not nearly as rocky as Merli or Moosic Mtn.

mtbr member
    LSP is def a nice ride. Only been there about 2 times, but going to try and make it up there this weekend. Someone mentioned the updated maps are on the hubbard site?

mtbr member
    Try here:

http://www.countrysideconservancy.or...oded%20Map.pdf

The trails at the bottom of the map are really fun single track. There is a good deal of climbing to get up to them. They come off of the big red loop (Abington trail) on the LSP property. These trails are on Countryside Conservancy land.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map. I think last time I was up there I started from Lily Pond Rd then made my way around the lake.

mtbr member
    Tom Lowry made the map that's used on both of our sites. IDK if he's working on naming them or not, but it would be nice!

Sunday will be a better day IMO, but let us know if it's dry. Ttyl, Fahn

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca_1996
    , also hit um Merli Sernoski Park because there are some awesome trails there
    Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning this location, I looked it up, printed out a map, and headed up there Today, what a blast! the trails are awesome!
    The side trails off the main trail are even more technical, I used bike skills today I didn't even realize I aquired yet!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Rode the loop around the lake @ LSP. Overall I would say the trails are pretty dry. They are just wet in those place that seem not to be able to dry up quick.

Are there any other trails on the same side of the lake with the Orchard trail that can be riden by bikes? I know the ones on the Countryside land can be that go out to Lily Pond road.

mtbr member
    All trails are open to bikes except the one closest to the campground. I heard that one was open for hiking only.