mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Lackawanna State Park

I am from the WB area and have wanted to check out LSP for a while. Chose to venture up there today and do some exploring on my own. See atached map.

Started on the Orchard Trail then up Bull Hill. From there I kept taking left turns on to what looked like newer trails that followed some stone walls. Eventually ended up on 438. From there went on Abington Trail. Very wet. Walked much as to not disturb trail.
    Lee Hill to Abington to Turkey Hill to the Road. Had to cut short due to time....

Looking for a recommended loop of 10+ miles. Also ...what trails are the most technical?

Thanks for the help....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    For technical riding, go to Merli. LSP is faster and though some tech spots are around, not as much as Merli. LSP has a ton of trails. The new conservancy I've only ridden the one trail. There's a lot to ride and the conservancy keeps expanding yearly. You can thank Joe Tierney (IMBA and LBC member) and Alex (park ranger) for the trail efforts and building up there. You've ridden a smaller portion of LSP, but there's a lot more to find! ttyl, Fahn

Ps. Not all the trails are on the map.

Wizard of the Trail
    Come on Larry, I thought you would have mentioned Prompton Dam. Those trails are wicked!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Not nearly Merli though. Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    Oh, thats right! I forgot about the blue trails. Those will keep your head spinning like a top.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the feeback. I have been to Prompton a few times and Merli once. It was around the logging time and got caught up in it. Need to go back and work the other side.

mtbr member
    You rode a good loop! Bull Hill is one of my favorite trails. Abington by the lake is always muddy and I prefer to bypass that section by climbing Bassett Path to Kennedy Creek or Lee Hill. Joe is planning on rock armoring the muddy Abington sections this spring. There are a lot of trails on the other side of the lake. There are also new trails on the Meadowsweet Conservancy that you can access from the upper part of Abington on that side of the lake.

mtbr member
    Total trail riding at LSP and associated properies is close to 21 miles at this time.

As for technical, the more techy trail is the trail that we call the switchback trail (the old crazy joe's trail), it is off to the left (on the Country Side Conservancy property) while climbing up the ski slope trail on LSP propertty. It is best to climb almost to the top of the ski slope trail and you will see an entrance to the left.

Have fun...........

ps....Quary ridge is short and fun also, it's kinda new

mtbr member

Just saw this thread..............hmmmm

wondering if we rode the switchback trail on sunday morning? That may have been the last one we did prior to Frost Hollow....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    It sounds like you did, when you ended the switch back trail, you would have made a right on to a trail that has been rutted out pretty bad and goes straight down the hill to a muckey area by some pine trees, then makes a right on to another trail that takes you back to the parking lot.

LeftyMax