mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Lackawanna, Merli, Prompton and Hubbard

The epic ride weekend is fast approaching. We'll be camping at LSP from Thursday 4/26 through Sunday 4/29. The plan is to ride the group ride at Hubbard Thursday night, and hit Prompton, Merli and the Lackawanna park Friday, Sat. and Sunday. (Not specificly in that order) I'll be pretty surprised if the weather allows for such a plan but we'll take what we get.

Been to Prompton so if we have to miss a day due to weather that will be the dropped place. I have maps for Lackawanna and Prompton, but can't find any for Merli, if someone could post a link that would be great.

Any and all are welcome to join us, local guides would be cool too, so far it's just my son and I. If your available and want to hook up PM me and I'll get you my cell #.

Enjoy life's ride, Mike

Wizard of the Trail
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks. Very nice, looks like a full day there. Cool!

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

[SIZE="3"]Hi Mike:

Sounds great!

I will be at Hubbard that night and I can introduce you and Austin to all. Don't forget about the great dinner John puts on Thursday nights. I think you might want to spend some ride time at Hubbard also, there is lots to see and ride there. There are new trails as well as a new bridge section since we last talked.

c ya soon

LC
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Wizard of the Trail
    WW, keep in mind the area where connex, porcupine ridge and pretty much that area is ruined due to logging. I usually ride the other side which is untampered with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    WW, keep in mind the area where connex, porcupine ridge and pretty much that area is ruined due to logging. I usually ride the other side which is untampered with.
    Actually most of that area is ridable again. The only thing we need to fix yet is where the Orange trail comes out at the logging road at the end. We made part of Twister into the main trail now. This is the old section of trails and includes Porcupine ridge. The last 1/4 mile is the only area we need to figure out yet. Once that's taken care of, it will be back in full swing. I recomend Riding up there with a guide Due to HR 280! That's the one trail you might want to pass on. ttyl, Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    Larry, is it basically what it used to be or are there differnet trails there instead? Also, where are those new roads they put in, in relation to the trails?

mtbr member
    Some of the Orange and Twister are now combined. They connect at the top of the hill. (This is the hill that if you followed the Orange thruogh Connex would leave you at the top where it's flat). Connex isn't used anymore. The trail system still has the stream crossing under the hemlocks. Followed by a little tech climb of 20 feet. You then leave the Orange trail and start some of the new stuff. This crosses one of the logging roads and is also a new section of trail. After about a 1/4 mile, you'll conect back to some of Twister. There's some new stuff in here. You'll eventually have a long switchbacking climb in here. I think we put in 5-6 switchbacks... It's fun! Me and 1-9 went up and kinda worked some of the turns. After this long climb you'll come out on the Orange trail and hang a left. This is the old trail again and you can pick up Porcupine. Don't mind the hill climb on the right (in between the rock cliff), It doesn't take you anywhere. After the Orange comes out to the part they wrecked, you have to continue down they're wide open trail. We're in the process of figuring out a way to avoid this section. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Lee, look forward to meeting you again.

And thanks to all for the tips.

Mike

mtbr member
    What are conditions like in PA? I'm from NY, but ride Merli and P-ton a good bit. We just got a buttload of snow, so a road trip might be in order this w/e. What did y'all get out of this last storm?

mtbr member
    Click on my signature. Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well we got two out of 4.

Got a late start on Thursday so we missed the Hubbard ride.

Friday we ended up at Merli. We got about half way in and my son and I both were grinning from ear to ear. Some sweet fun technical trails. This place was ranking high on our ride list. Then came the logged area... followed some red cap nails, some red and blue blazes and then everything turned into a mess. The map turned out to be useless and our 5 star trails turned into 1 star at best. Got looped around and back to the lake and all was well. That damn logging sure created quite a mess for you guys. I'll be watching for updates and can't wait to get back up to ride it again. Oh yeah, those rocks are slick when wet... And hats off to the trail builders/maintainers.

Saturday we did most of the trails at Lackawanna, very nice trails. Missed Scott and Laura, while we we're canoeing down at the lake. They stopped by afterwards and gave some good beta on the rest of the trails. We had hoped to get on them Sunday, but there was a fair amount of rain overnight and it was a bit soft to begin with, so out of respect for the trails and builders we pulled camp early and didn't see the trails today.

But we'll be back.

Mike

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of going to one of these parks this weekend and would like your recommendations. From the trail reviews Prompton looks really good. I'll be alone so well marked trails are important. Also, LSP sounds like a lot of mud. Thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    If it stays dry for the week, all trails will be in great condition. The leaves are starting to come out too. Fahn

Wizard of the Trail
    I rode LSP yesterday. Most trails were dry, but the low lying areas like lakeshore trail were muddy. A few dry days and all should be well.