Thread: Kutztown

mtbr member

Kutztown

Are there any good places to ride in the Kutztown area?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Do you mean places worth travelling to if you don't live there? Or, places you could ride between classes?

In the case of the former, the best places in that general area (i.e. within a short drive of KU) are blue marsh, french creek and south mountain. There's also some stuff in Reading. See some of the other threads in the forum on each of these places for more info.

If the latter - the only trails *in* Kutztown that I'm aware of are on a hill more or less between College Blvd and 737. Back when I lived there (93 - 98) there used to be a small but fun & well established little trail system and a BMX track there. I went back last year so my son could try out his bike on the track, but it was so completely overgrown with weeds that it was unrideable. I don't know if the trails are any better or not because we didn't attempt to ride them.

Anyway, to get there, take College Blvd down past the Cliffs, then under the 222 overpass. When you start climbing toward a sharp left-hand bend in the road, turn right onto Short Ln. This turns into a gravel/dirt tractor lane along a field. Follow this down into the woods, where it will T into another trail. Turn left and begin climbing the hill. Assuming the trails are still there at all, there will be a steep climb directly in front of you, and another trail will soon branch off to your right - take that. Eventually, you'll reach a gravel access road that will lead you up to the top of the hill. There will be a few different options for descending and I can't describe them all from memory. Just keep your eyes open and do some exploring. It's such a small area that you'll end up climbing and descending several times to get a decent ride in. You might also consider taking some pruning shears and a small saw - just in case.

The BMX track is down at the bottom, but it may not even be recognizable anymore. There used to be a yellow house right in front of it, but that's been demolished.

Also, if you don't mind riding on the road to get there, Lake Ontelaunee (about 7 miles from KU) has some trails to ride. Although it's nothing spectacular, it's still a nice place to check out at least once, if only for the scenery. If you google map "19530 to Lake Ontelaunee" and check the 'avoid highways' box, it'll tell you exactly the route I used to take - except you don't have to follow the full 11 mi route given. As soon as you first cross over the lake, turn left into the first parking area and pick up the trail by a yellow gate.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Stick; 09-09-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Thanks Stick,

The real local stuff is what I was looking for. I have ridden at French Creek and Blue Marsh. Also, Bear Creek (today as a matter of fact). I am not familiar with South Mountain, though. My daughter is a freshman at KU and I am looking for an excuse to go and visit her.

BB

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Bill
    Thanks Stick,

My daughter is a freshman at KU and I am looking for an excuse to go and visit her.

BB
    Do you have a road bike (or any interest in road riding)? There are some fantastic road rides you could do, leaving from and returning to KU, that'll take you through the hills on some great backroads.

I used to ride from town out to the Pinnacle & back a lot. If you go on your mountain bike, you can ride the roads to the Hamburg reservoir, then ride the trail all the way up until you hit the AT. From there, you have to hike a mile or two to get to the pinnacle, but it's worth a trip if you've never been up there.

If you go on a road bike, you'll have to skip the trip up the trail to the pinnacle, but you can go to Hawk Mountain instead and test your legs on the ridiculously steep road up, which approaches 20% grade in spots:

http://www.quovadimus.net/bcp/rides/Hawklong.pdf

For shorter loops - consider Lake Ontelaunee or a quick circuit out to Crystal Cave.

Or leave the bike at home and just stop in town for lunch at the brewpub!

I hope your daughter enjoys her time at KU as much as I did.

-Stick
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Stick,

I'm an old roadie from way back. I'll just have to take both bikes up there the next time.