Arrrr.

King of Prussia?

I'm going to be in the Valley Forge/King of Prussia area for a week at the end of the month. The class I'm in goes to 5pm every day, does anyone know if there is any trail riding near by that would be worth bringing my mountain bike along for?

Otherwise I'll just throw my road bike in the trunk and ride the roads.

Thanks!
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Freshly Fujified

Valley Forge Park/Betzwood

There is some nice entry level to intermediate level singletrack within the boundaries of Valley forge park, all accessible from the Betzwood picnic area. The problem is that most of it is off-limits. That said, people ride there regularly, as the rangers tend to turn a blind eye, but you would be poaching. There is plenty of good multi-use paved paths along the Schuylkill river and throughout Valley Forge Park that can give you some nice options for the road bike.

So there ya go.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Belmont by 6?

Still Thursday's right?
    That way, you'd head out and know that you won't get lost per other riders there.
    You could still hit Wiss and even French Creek but without knowing the trails....6 is getting a late start this early in the year....even with the time change.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

options

I agree with the Betzwood comment. It's the closest and technically illegal.

That location is great for getting to rides but terrible for rush hour traffic. Without traffic, you can go west on 76 or 422 to get to French Creek, east on 276 to get to the trails behind Neshaminy High School, east on 76 to Belmont, 76E to 476N to Ridge to the north end of Wiss, west on 202 to Downingtown (Marsh Creek or Covered Bridge/Sunoco tract).

On a weekend morning (when I typically ride) these drives would take you 20-30 minutes. During the week, 76 east is terrible, 422 west is terrible, 202 can bog down a bit and 276 is a crap shoot.

I would drive to Wissahickon, specifically the northern end bounded by Northwestern Ave. Park by the stables, hop on the dirt road (Forbidden Drive), cross first paved road (Bells Mill) and then go right up the first trail. Ride as far as you want. If it starts getting dark, go downhill til you hit Forbidden Drive, make note of which way the water is flowing and ride upstream back to your car.

Google maps for 100 W. Northwestern Ave., Philadelphia, PA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=14&iwloc=addr

All of that said (and that was a mouthful) the road riding through Valley Forge and west along Yellow Springs Rd. and up Diamond Rock or other climbs is awesome.

Arrrr.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try to check out some trails...hopefully class won't go too late.

It is pretty funny, down here in Northern VA everybody is so scared of talking about illegal riding or pissing off hikers, it's nice to see that not all areas are wrapped up in political correctness.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Betzwood

Part of the reason riders feel they can ride on the singletrack on the Betzwood side Valley Forge is the trails are forgotten little trails crammed between the river and a highway. There's a wide dirt path by the river that's heavily used and the paved multi-use Schuylkill River Trail goes through Betzwood but the singletrack is used almost exclusively by mt bikers (except for the area near Pawlings Rd. which is supposedly the site of illicit hook-ups) so there's no real trail user conflicts. It is still illegal, though, and I can't imagine the rangers would be too thrilled to see you emerging from a trail.