mtbr member

kennerdell trail closures update from a previous posting

Any one who has ridden k-dell has probably seen the “no horses & biking signs” on goat and off the gamelands trails. read the map and you can see that these trails are marked with a brown hash. These got me and a few friends in contact with the forestry staff. I had a meeting with the staff today and I am sad to say that the dennison run, goat, iron furnace, south,overlook, and kennerdell (gamelaands side) trails are closed to bikes. Official signs are ordered and foresters and game wardens will be enforcing the no riding status of the trails. I did everything that I could to open the trails as they are my main reason for using the forest there. Probably some of the best riding in western pa. The main reason for the trail closure is to protect the natural trout stream that exists in the watershed. Sadly, this will probably keep us out of the area for a long time or more accurately forever. The foresters were really good guys and would like to have us there but cannot due to their requirement to protect the watershed for the trout stream.
    To be honest this takes kdell off,or should take it off, the radar for most of the riders from the burgh. I wouldnt drive all the way up there from the burgh now. There is a big section of trails that are totally gone from our use. it doesnt seem like much b/c we still have 66% of thre forest to ride, but the best legal trails (let alone some of the best trails of questionable legality i have ever ridden are gonzo.) insert depression here>
    Chance favors the prepared mind

The White Jeff W
    Damn, I had that on my list but haven't made it up there yet.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Lets get it back.

Do you have the contact for the guy? Let's work to get it back, there has to be a reasonable amount of collaboration we can initiate to make this work for everyone while still protecting the trout. Bridges that are actually bike friendly maybe?

mtbr member
    i understand your mindset on this...there has to be a way right. This isnt my first talks with landmanagers and i can tell you that this area isnt coming back. It was originally a hiking only area, we have been using it anyway, but that is going to end b/c of the levels of use the trails are getting and the location of the system.

If you are concerned about this by all means look up the contact information for the forestry service on the dcnr website. I dont want to throw out their contact information here b/c if people are really concerned they can look it up and get in touch with them. I dont want to be the reason for them getting 1000 calls on this because i truely dont believe calling them is going to make a difference at this time. Maybe if something changes somewhere we can go back to them for a review of policy but It doesnt look like that is going to happen anytime soon. if you do call them please be polite. They consider us a great user group and perception is reality. a few people changing that reality only hurts our sport.

The areas are seperated in such a way that the best way to get to the gamelands side is up dennison (obviously that isnt changing at all), through private land and gamelands, or the unlikely route of going out to the kdell bridge and up that super steep hill. People are going to take the path of least resistance and use dennison. I dont even know if i would want to use the kdell bridge route, they cannt condone the gamelands and private property route b/c it creates a whole mess of a user conflict.

my personal opinnion....it is done and off the books. Enjoy the other half of the trails.

I honestly feel that this is an area that at this time has run its course for negotiations.

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

I appreciate the effort those trails are great but sensitive.

Thanks again for all the work you do for mt. biking in our state.

I dont want to beat a dead horse but my only compromise thought is increased erosion and sedimentation control measures on Goat and Upper Dennison, but still close Dennison below that intersection. Then for looping purposes how about continuing the pocher by Overlook down to the River Trail instead of Dennison and consider it a new bike right of way.

Water bars and armoring take money and crew but if both were provided without state resources would it help?
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    there is an alternate way up on top of that hill already. Kdell trail is right by the bridge. I thik it just puts riders in a place to use dennison and they are trying to avoid the temptation too. They didnt say that but it is what i am inferring.