mtbr member

kennerdell map and moraine signage

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...rcreekmap.aspx

you need to get the maps for the kennerdell tract.

TooRassgoat this is the best map around. I wont say avoid those trails marked as hiking only b/c they are really good trails, but the park doesnt want us on them. Ride at your own discretion. If you do ride them just avoid creek crossings as dennison run is a natural trout stream and there are bridges to use.

signage for moraine state park is in the works too. they should be up by end of october for the entire trail. As of now the signage is non-existant.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    so...on the Kennerdell map, is the trail marked "trail" (red dashed line) approved for mtn bikes? I see some of the trails indicated "hiking only" (brown dashed line).

mtbr member

yep

you got it. that being said bikes ride all over those "hiking only trails". if they are only open to hikers and bikes didnt use them....they would be gone in two or three years. Hiking just isnt that big at the park b/c of it being so far away from anything. I would ride and enjoy some of those hiking trails till i get some clarification with the park.

i am meeting with them next week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    cool. looks good. how would you characterize the terrain? topo looks mostly flat-ish except for the ridge along the river. is it rocky/rooty or fast??

mtbr member
    you know the top really isnt flat. it may be rolling but there are tons of little climbs. Kdell is an enigma, it has super fast rolling curvey sections, fire roads that are turning into singletrack, long rock gardens, some little technical lines over boulders and logs if you know where to look just off or along the trail, a good amount of little drops and rocks to boost on some of the DH's, and some pretty killer descending for pa. I honestly think that kdell is the most diverse and best riding in WPA (if you know it and ride some trails you maybe shouldnt). I hate to promote it but as long as we start protecting the stream on dennison i think we will make some headway with those other hiking trails. It took me about a year or two to really learn all the trails b/c it is so big and there are so many different ways to link them together. You cant do them all in one day. Be advised the easiest way out of the river bottom is blunder, but the top 1/3 is pretty trashed. The access road off of windows is long but completely ridable. Have fun. Steer clear of the river trail at the bottom of the hill by the river where it shows as hiking only or you will be miserable. it isnt made for bikes and is hard enough to walk through. tons of scampering on boulders.