mtbr member

Jim Thorpe Trip - Camping?

So, I'm planning a trip to the Jim Thorpe area this summer for a few days of mountain biking with a friend. Looking on google maps, I see this place "the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort". Closest campground to downtown Thorpe and Penn's Peak for a possible concert while there.

However after poking around online a bit, the "Camping Resort" has some outright nightmarish reviews. In fact one after another with the same horror stories. It looked like a standard campground on the website. I really don't care about how perfect or clean it is especially at the cheap prices, but if the reviews are correct you can't even kick back and drink some beers in peace at this place.

So anyone have a first hand opinion? Should I avoid it and just stay a few more miles outside of town? Any suggestions on other campgrounds to look into?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you would like to stay in a nice place for camping, check out Hickory Run State Park, ya its alittle off the path from JT and local trails, but the camping is outstanding and its only a 20 min drive to down town or 15 min to Penns Peak.
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You can camp at Mauch Chunk Lake, a county owned park. It's about a 1/2 mile from the JT Camping Resort.
    The Switchback Trail runs right through the park, and other trails are nearby.