mtbr member

Jim Thorpe trails?

Does anyone have any info or trail maps of the stuff near Jim Thorpe? I'm going to be up there all weekend and was planning on bringing my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    Does anyone have any info or trail maps of the stuff near Jim Thorpe? I'm going to be up there all weekend and was planning on bringing my bike.
    Just go into the bike shop right in downtown and ask for a trail map. It might cost a few dollars. They might also have printed "hiking" maps for american standard, as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree with justo8484. Hit up the shop. Think the bookis about $7. American standard will b a bit wet in spots from the rain we had but it should b rideable. Had i known earlier i couldve met u and shown u some other stuff but im booked up. Hope u enjoy ur ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. I got the map for American Standard, and just as the good techy singletrack started, I snapped my rear derailleur in half as my tire kicked a stick into it while I was climbing a rock garden. I had to convert it to a SS and take the fire roads back to the car. I wasn't super impressed with what I rode though, I was about 8 miles into the loop when I had the mechanical. I suppose I missed all the good sections.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Jim Thorpe trails?

Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I got the map for American Standard, and just as the good techy singletrack started, I snapped my rear derailleur in half as my tire kicked a stick into it while I was climbing a rock garden. I had to convert it to a SS and take the fire roads back to the car. I wasn't super impressed with what I rode though, I was about 8 miles into the loop when I had the mechanical. I suppose I missed all the good sections.
    AS is very oldschool. Lots of rock, not a ton of maintenance. It wasn't the best trail I've ever ridden, but it's the most single track ish thing I've ridden up in Jim Thorpe, and it does have some fun spots, for sure. I certainly wouldn't find it that enjoyable on a hard tail though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Actually it's normally in really good shape, locals keep it pretty clear. But hey everyone likes different things. The AS is still in the top 10 in PA in my books.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rode the switchback from summit hill to my pisgh on Saturday. Trees and what not down but still rideable. Some rocks and leaves down but still overall very good and fun

Rode Flagstaff earlier today. Climbing to the top of flagstaff was awful but the rock trail out to the downhill section was fun. Friend took a tumble that got him pretty beat up but the downhill was very fun. Very rocky but fast

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I did the switchback trails last week and it was beautiful even after all the rain they got. I started at the top of Hill Rd. There is a gravel area off to the side of the road next to the trail head. The first half up to Mauch Chunk Lake is mix of single/double track which is pretty easy. The second half, after you cross the main road that runs by the lake, starts easy but when it makes the cut back, you are going up the mountain. Slow but steady incline all the way to the top. Once you are at the overlook, you only have about 1 mile of trail left. Be VERY careful as it is a very steep decline and LOTS of rocks. When I rode an old rigid I had to walk down most of the way. Perfect time of the year however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselnoze View Post
    I did the switchback trails last week and it was beautiful even after all the rain they got. I started at the top of Hill Rd. There is a gravel area off to the side of the road next to the trail head. The first half up to Mauch Chunk Lake is mix of single/double track which is pretty easy. The second half, after you cross the main road that runs by the lake, starts easy but when it makes the cut back, you are going up the mountain. Slow but steady incline all the way to the top. Once you are at the overlook, you only have about 1 mile of trail left. Be VERY careful as it is a very steep decline and LOTS of rocks. When I rode an old rigid I had to walk down most of the way. Perfect time of the year however.
    There are two different ways to come back down from there. If you go off to the left you have a steep but fairly easy decline that goes straight down behind the baseball field