mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Jim Thorpe trails

I'm coming home for xmas break and am not very familiar with any single track trails in the JT area. I know there has to be some, but if anyone knows of them and wants to ride next week, or just tell me where they are, that would be really nice. Thanks!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    (watching this space)

i have to work M-F except the 25th, but if the weather is good I'm going for a long bike ride as a present to myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you can, send a message to Jamie Huber. He is more than familiar with all trails in and around the JT area. There is some nice trail up on the Flagstaff Mtn, and it can be followed back down onto the switchback. Plus you can do a search on here for maps. Keep in mind about hunting season. Not sure how much that area sees but better safe than not able to ride ever again. I'm also off all of next week. I pulled a hamstring muscle and am healing. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and ride. If I see that I can I'll shoot you a message here.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Throw out a quick search here on MTBR...
    ...lots of "Jim Thorpe" threads with tons of info to view before ya ride!

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    To find trail in JT, your best bet is to park on the Broad Mtn, off of Route 93 second parking lot, just outside of Nesquehoning. From there cross the road, Route 93, and head in on the dirt road. There is a single track on the right. You can take that for a few miles then pop out onto the same dirt road. From there, you can explore some of the West end of the American Standard Trail back towards your car. If you are not familiar with that trail, there is some info/maps out there if you inquire on the forum.

We have a local night ride that leaves from the train station parking lot in JT at 6pm every Thursday. Bring a light and join us!
    strava is not real racing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is this the lot on the right (coming from JT going towards Hazleton) at the top of the mountain? I will most definitely join on for the Thursday ride next week!

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Yeah on the lot. There are two lots, the one I am talking about is the second one on top of the mountain. Unless the weather is totally raining and cold, we will ride Thursday.

mtbr member
    Also watching this thread. I've rode the east side of 93 but never the standard, lots of free time here over Christmas.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Unfortunately, I do not have much free time over the holiday. If you are into exploring, Jim Thorpe and the surrounding ridges are a mecca of killer single track. Most of the ridges are long and extend to other towns in the area. Each ridge has ridge-top trails, some of the ridges have lower trails that connect to the ridges to create some nice loops using both lower trails and ridge top trails. The Broad Mtn has ample single track on both sides of Route 93, also something to explore.

I live in JT and have been riding and maintaining the trails for a long time. Nothing is marked, nothing is "really" mapped, other than people using GPS units during rides, and the trails are technical and backwoods. Grab your sense of adventure, a GPS, and a camelbak and explore!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I used to ride 4wheelers from Sam Miller field to nesqy. It'd go up pisgah, then across to the blue ponds. Is that all still open?

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    All still the same. If you know where the blue ponds are, you can access a single track just before you get to the blue ponds from the dual track that rides the ridge to nesquehoning. Both ridge lines on pisgah have single track on them.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Jamie,

The singletrack right at the top of Pisgah near the plane heading down is a real trip!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Are we still on for sunday, Pat?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm leaving Iowa now, I won't be home till 9pm tonight. Is it cool if I let you know then? I just want to see how much snow fell in the area. I'd hate for you to make the trip and have to try to pedal through a bunch of snow. Jamie, maybe you could help us out?? Have you been on the trails lately? Are they rideable?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    From how it looks here in philly, id be more concerned about mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    We got a LOT of rain Thurs overnight into yesterday morning.
    There is a coating of snow on the ground this morning and the forecast is for flurries/squalls throughout the day.
    Temps are expected to be colder than they have been, so if you're lucky the mud might be frozen.

mtbr member
    Bungalow park used to have trail races on some really tight twisty singletrack. I forget what the road names were, but if you go to the train station and look up the hill toward one direction you will see a cemetery on the top of it. Go to it and turn right at the base, follow that road to a pavilion/pool and your'e there. Maybe 2/3 a mile total away from the train station. Not a major elevation park but some good roller coasters.