Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jim Thorpe Thursday Night Ride

6K views 76 replies 21 participants last post by  Gonzoso 
#1 ·
As the title states, this is a night ride to build a cycling community in the Jim Thorpe area. The ride meets and starts in the parking lot behind the train station in the historic district of Jim Thorpe. The route of the ride includes The Switchback Trail, Flagstaff Mountain, and a "secret" decent at the end of the Flagstaff Ridge. Distance is around 19 miles and ride time is around 2 hours. The ride rolls from the lot at 6pm.

The ride itself is an intermediate level ride to draw riders from around the Jim Thorpe area. The goal of this ride is to bring riders of different skill levels together to have a fun night out on bikes. If you live in the area, or are passing through, it would be great to ride with you!

Jamie

#15 ·
I did this ride last week with a different group in a light drizzle, which was a mist when we started with no rain forecast. Ours was 18 miles/ 2.5 hours / 8.73 ave speed. And that was on wet trails with one flat. Once you get the huge climb to flagstaff out of the way, it's practically all downhill from there, as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hope this keeps going, it pains me that so few ride anymore in Thorpe....when I lived in town there were a good many of us who rode all the time....Strubinger and I rode every day.....Love it there.

Next time I'm home if it's on Thursday I'd like to ride with you guys if possible.

#13 ·
The loop we ride is the least technical ride we got in JT, but it leaves from a good central location, plus we can hit up a pub afterwards to catch some free music. So far the average group size has been three riders, maybe we get movin' a little faster sometimes, but that was just my estimate of the ride data.

I have been living, riding, and training for races here forever. I have grown to enjoy not seeing many riders on the trails, but trail maintenance is tough with a one man gang!

#18 ·
The soul purpose of the night ride is to form a night out for riders in the area, link up with new people, get a ride in, use those lights, and chat about bikes over a brew afterwards. The loop is a fun ride with a group or at your own pace gig.

I have been racing bikes since I was in Junior High School and have been living in the area for just as long. This area is in desperate need for a mtb/cycling community and this ride was set up to get the ball rolling with that community. I'm hoping to branch out the night ride into an outlet to get some future groups together for trail maintenance and some weekend group rides on some of the more technical and dare I say "secret stash" trails that I have been riding for years. Not many folks are aware that the JT locals have added at least 40+ miles of trail, and/or trail connecting other trail networks since the state has "cracked down" on mountain biking in the early 2000's.

#23 ·
This area is in desperate need for a mtb/cycling community and this ride was set up to get the ball rolling with that community.
Definitely agree, and applaud you for making something positive happen. I'm looking forward to joining this ride when I can. I'm not in JT that much during the week, but I'm going to make a point of arriving early for this. Also very interested in technical weekend rides and trail work.

#24 ·
Nice to see some interested parties! It's a good night out on the bikes...

What Jamie failed to mention is that not only is there a secret downhill section, but also a super-secret downhill section...which, clearly, is twice as fun as the regular secret downhill.

Hope to see 'yous guys' there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.