mtbr member

Jim Thorpe Switchback Summit Hill

Enjoyed this very warm day today in Jim Thorpe. Started with about 11 riders. Up the Switchback trail from downtown....past Mauchunk State Park..and onward to Summit Hill. Took a break at the cemetery and that is where the group split up. A group of us rode along the ridge and the stripper pits all the way to just shy of the Mt. Pisgah overlook. Rest of the gang double backed and went back the way we came up and continued on to the Mt. Pisgah overlook. Mauchunk Lake provided a cool respite from the heat and humidity. Good time had by all. Here's a couple of quick vid links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_QkdYxTWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6V3l8AlAWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kvblb7rX9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgZGeLPyFbw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Nice

Hey that last clip looks very familiar. A couple of us were there last Sept. On a night ride and also had to walk that section. It looks as if we were going the opposite way. We would love to get back up there this summer for sure. Glad you all enjoyed your ride. Oh isn't there some kind of cave or something down below that point? There was alot of water in there and it was night time so we werent going in there. Our night ride ended on some very loose rocky downhill for a while. The one guy who came with us was pissed off because he wasn't used to riding anything like that. He was ready to go back home and that was our first night there. He ended staying anyway and we had another two days of great riding. We all enjoyed Bob's Option. That downhill is awesome. Up Flagstaff across the rocky ridge and down down down!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

hey

Hi Jeff,
    When I got home i realized I had 2 pair of bike shorts from the lake after the ride - maybe Audrey's? Anyway, will bring them to party Saturday.
    Take care,
    Kristy

mtbr member

Hey...JerseyGirl....Glad you made it!

Your official now after that ride....pace was a bit to fast at the beginning but I am glad you hung in there. The girls told me you enjoyed the lake after the ride. What a hot day...really felt it later that night...a good tired feeling. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Did you ever have ham?

Jim Thorpe Switchback Summit Hill

The things we overlook when we are kids. I lived in Jim Thorpe and attended high school there from '84 to '88 and even though I knew about the Switchback, I never really cared. Now it fascinates me...all that history! I had heard people talking about the Wagon Road but never knew where they were referring to. We did a field trip in 9th grade up Mt. Pisgah and that is the way we went...very cool! Have to get back there and explore some more!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member

08 Mauch Chunk Lake

That was a "perfect weather" day! Jake has gotten a bit taller since that ride. We need to ride that rail trail/singletrack again this summer, I think we are ready to see the top of the mountain this time.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    The things we overlook when we are kids. I lived in Jim Thorpe and attended high school there from '84 to '88 and even though I knew about the Switchback, I never really cared. Now it fascinates me...all that history! I had heard people talking about the Wagon Road but never knew where they were referring to. We did a field trip in 9th grade up Mt. Pisgah and that is the way we went...very cool! Have to get back there and explore some more!
    The "lung" has ridden up the Wagon road with no stopping or taking breaks! Nice that you reminded me as we were there a few weeks ago and I have to post those pics!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I rode the Switchback trail once so far, just a few weeks ago. Right after the Mt. Pisgah summit, I think I took a wrong turn because instead of taking a trail down to the town again, I rode straight down this fire road type descent that literally went straight down the mountain, at a bit too steep an angle for me. I spent the whole time riding the brakes and falling forward. I ended up at the bottom in some kid's park and my brakes were completely overheated.

mtbr member
    I know where you were! When you were at the first overlook (of Jim Thorpe) and you start down that hill, you have two options. If you went to the right you'd be on the Wagon Road. The left is the Lehigh River overlook. You went up there top the top and decended back the same way, but took a quick left instead of going down a little further. That's part of the mines "plane" I think. It's how they used to return the coal cars or something. Instead, come back to that original split and take that back down. There's 2 switchbacks on the way down the Wagon Road. The first decent is a little rocky and loose, but fun. You do the banked SB and wow! It's a little harder! Bigger rocks and the lines kinda change several times. Then the last SB. WTF! Stay far right and follow the inconsistent riding line. I've always done Twin Peaks and would end up here to finish it off. So a hardtail or XC dual suspension is what I'd be riding down it. I'm sure with an AM it's a ton easier, but still fun as hell to blast! Ttyl, Fahn