wot no bike?

Jim Thorpe: Status of these trails?

I've located my old trailbook circa 1994 and was wondering if someone could give me a quick run-down of the legal/existance status of the following trails:

1. Switchback Railroad Trail I
    2. Switchback Railroad Trail II
    3. Lehigh Gorge I
    4. Lehigh Gorge II
    5. Lehigh Canal
    6. Mauch Chunk Ridge
    7. Twin Peaks
    8. Broad Mtn Loop
    9. Deer Path
    10. Buzzard's Point
    11. Weiser State Forest
    12. Drake's Creek

Thanks!
    pete

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    I've located my old trailbook circa 1994 and was wondering if someone could give me a quick run-down of the legal/existance status of the following trails:

3. Lehigh Gorge I
    4. Lehigh Gorge II
    5. Lehigh Canal
    6. Mauch Chunk Ridge
    7. Twin Peaks
    8. Broad Mtn Loop
    9. Deer Path
    10. Buzzard's Point
    11. Weiser State Forest
    12. Drake's Creek

Thanks!
    AFAIK:

1 - 8 are all open to MTB.
    9. Definitely closed (though still ridden)
    10 - 12: Don't know
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

wot no bike?
    Cool, thanks Stick. I haven't been up there in ~13 years, and barely remember the names of the trails I've ridden there (I think I've done Broad Mtn, Twin Peaks, and Deer Run), but it'll be nice to go back for the weekend. I'm wondering if Deer Run was the one I really really liked...
    pete

Inbred Homebrewer
    Cool, thanks Stick. I haven't been up there in ~13 years, and barely remember the names of the trails I've ridden there (I think I've done Broad Mtn, Twin Peaks, and Deer Run), but it'll be nice to go back for the weekend. I'm wondering if Deer Run was the one I really really liked...
    check your PM's if you haven't already...

mtbr member
    Its been 10+ years since I rode JT myself.. I was curiuos why the supersweet trail Jean's Run was omitted from the list... we used to ride the old stagecoach road up to the top of Broad Run.. hit American Standard over to Deer Run and the singletrack on the other side of the powerlines and then descend off Broad Mtn via Jean's Run.. One the best rides in PA from my experiences...

Inbred Homebrewer
    Probably because those trails have all been closed to MTBing by the PGC. They still exist, but they're off-limits to law-abiding riders everywhere.

If you're a bit..err... "morally corrupt?" Different story, but one that's not oft discussed publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    Its been 10+ years since I rode JT myself.. I was curiuos why the supersweet trail Jean's Run was omitted from the list... we used to ride the old stagecoach road up to the top of Broad Run.. hit American Standard over to Deer Run and the singletrack on the other side of the powerlines and then descend off Broad Mtn via Jean's Run.. One the best rides in PA from my experiences...

mtbr member
    I moved out west ~ 10 years ago and am bummed to hear JT trails are not as well developed and the SGC has banned bikes.. I am heading back for a reunion ride at the end of July... Does that mean Jean's Run is overgrown and covered w deadfall? I helped set up a trail on Nesquonning Mtn with some motorcycle riders... was real nice and there was plans to extend to the west side of Rt 309... I wonder if this trail still exists... I am not gonna have time to explore

mtbr member

no, everything is still clear

Even with the SGL "ban" in effect all of the trails that you knew are still clear. Probably the biggest thing you will notice is how quads have destroyed a lot of singletrack, particularly on Pisgah. The Dutch Eagle has also been uncovering/ building some new trails too.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007

3. Lehigh Gorge I
    4. Lehigh Gorge II
    5. Lehigh Canal
    6. Mauch Chunk Ridge
    7. Twin Peaks
    8. Broad Mtn Loop
    9. Deer Path
    10. Buzzard's Point
    11. Weiser State Forest
    12. Drake's Creek

Thanks!
    Relatively sure Buzzard's point is still open. Did this one last August and there were no signs or anything. Definitely not my favorite trail there however, the view is worth the ride though.