Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250

    Jim Thorpe Ride Pics

    Got a new digital camera and took some ride pics. Figured I'd share some.





    Looking Up.


    Looking Down. Notice the reflector (Bottom Left) Trail ate someone.


    Old coal mine tunnel.


    It's a little blurry. Had to use a night shot shutter speed cause it was pitch black inside. Should have brought a tripod.


    Jim Thorpe Below.


    6X Zoom



    Facing Right.


    Facing Left.

  2. #2
    in the getto
    Reputation: toe-knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171

    nice

    cool , what trail was this? I've been wanting to get to Thorpe for years now.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

  3. #3
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250
    The first 5 pics are from the Mauch Chunk Ridge (Also called fireline trail I believe). 2nd last pic with the lake shows the ridge.

    The rest of the pics are from the Switch Back Trail. Basically an old gravel railroad bed turned into a trail. A 10yro kid on a BMX rode up it with his dad (who was on a MTB). Kudos to the kid! So obviously the trail isn't very technical. But it offers one of the best views around.

  4. #4
    Sin
    Sin is offline
    Redneck Rider
    Reputation: Sin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    271

    Oh how I forget how green PA is

    Very nice pics I haven't rode that trail in over 6 years. I moved to Colorado and forgot the beauty of the application mtn's
    Got Beer?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aspang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    144

    Sweet!

    Nice pics! A couple of friends and I are going out to Jim Thorpe in 2 weeks (June 11-13) from Pittsburgh. Any recommendations on where exactly to ride? Good climbs? Technical stuff? Thanks for any recommendations, and again, great pics!

  6. #6
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by aspang
    Nice pics! A couple of friends and I are going out to Jim Thorpe in 2 weeks (June 11-13) from Pittsburgh. Any recommendations on where exactly to ride? Good climbs? Technical stuff? Thanks for any recommendations, and again, great pics!
    Stop in here. These guys can probably help you.
    http://www.bikejimthorpe.com/

  7. #7
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    How i miss american standard.
    i wish it was this green in rado.

  8. #8
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250

    Maybe I can brighten your day

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    How i miss american standard.
    i wish it was this green in rado.
    The American Standard is closed. As well as all the other trails on State Game Lands.

  9. #9
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    The American Standard is closed. As well as all the other trails on State Game Lands.
    yeah yeah yeah, i say just poach it, its one of the best trails around

  10. #10
    Wizard of the Trail
    Reputation: Geist262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    912
    Yeah, you hafta love pa. I am a MTBer, hunter and fisherman. They hike up all the prices for hunting licenses and fishing permits. Theres hardly any game on the gamelands and you cannot bike on it either. That is ridicuous!!! The sad thing is, I am from pa.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Yeah, you hafta love pa. I am a MTBer, hunter and fisherman. They hike up all the prices for hunting licenses and fishing permits. Theres hardly any game on the gamelands and you cannot bike on it either. That is ridicuous!!! The sad thing is, I am from pa.
    I am also from Pa and agree that, as a state, it has very little to offer. It is full of old people or young, stupid people, with old ideas.

  12. #12
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I am also from Pa and agree that, as a state, it has very little to offer. It is full of old people or young, stupid people, with old ideas.
    Oh, but I suppose you are the only exception to your utterly asinine genaralization?

    As neither an "old" nor "young & stupid" life-long resident of Pennsylvania, your comments re: the population of this state are particularly offensive and smack of ignorance.

    If the state has so little to offer you, why is it you still reside here? It seems to me that, if indeed you are the only person in Pennsylvania who isn't either quietly awaiting death or, alternatley, too young and stupid to know any better, then certainly you would have packed your bags and fled long ago!
    Last edited by Stick; 06-07-2004 at 07:43 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  13. #13
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.

    Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)

    Also NEPA has 300 days of clouds per year. Thats the amount of sunny days in colorado. Another fact for ya NEPA has about 185 days of rain per year.

    Also trying to talk to the game comision in many areas is like talking to a brick fall. Of all the states in the US PA is in the top ten for public land. If i remember correctly Alaska is the highest but then again no one lives there.

    Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Oh, but I suppose you are the only exception to your utterly asinine genaralization?

    As neither an "old" nor "young & stupid" life-long resident of Pennsylvania, your comments re: the population of this state are particularly offensive and smack of ignorance.

    If the state has so little to offer you, why is it you still reside here? It seems to me that, if indeed you are the only person in Pennsylvania who isn't either quietly awaiting death or, alternatley, too young and stupid to know any better, then certainly you would have packed your bags and fled long ago!
    Of course I am one of the many exceptions. Are you?

  15. #15
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250

    Hold on a minute.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.

    Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)

    Also NEPA has 300 days of clouds per year. Thats the amount of sunny days in colorado. Another fact for ya NEPA has about 185 days of rain per year.

    Also trying to talk to the game comision in many areas is like talking to a brick fall. Of all the states in the US PA is in the top ten for public land. If i remember correctly Alaska is the highest but then again no one lives there.

    Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone.
    anand said "as a state" PA. He didn't say NEPA. So according to the facts, what anand said is not true. According to the US Census Bureau:
    Pennsylvania: Pop. 12,335,091
    Age 65+: 15.6% (1,924,274)

    Florida: Pop 16,713,149
    Age 65+: 17.6% (2,941,514)

    There's a million more "old" people in Florida.

    300 days of clouds per year? Where'd that "fact" come from?
    Less than 200 days of clouds in NEPA.
    http://www.ems.psu.edu/PA_Climatolog...ual_cloudy.htm

    http://www.weatherbase.com
    Scranton:
    Average Number of Clear Days: 70
    Average Number of Cloudy Days: 190

    Does PA have little to offer? That's a matter of opinion. Not fact. Lots to offer me.
    Full of stupid people? Another matter of opinion. No facts on that one.

    Just the facts.

  16. #16
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    anand said "as a state" PA. He didn't say NEPA. So according to the facts, what anand said is not true. According to the US Census Bureau:
    Pennsylvania: Pop. 12,335,091
    Age 65+: 15.6% (1,924,274)

    Florida: Pop 16,713,149
    Age 65+: 17.6% (2,941,514)

    There's a million more "old" people in Florida.

    300 days of clouds per year? Where'd that "fact" come from?
    Less than 200 days of clouds in NEPA.
    http://www.ems.psu.edu/PA_Climatolog...ual_cloudy.htm

    http://www.weatherbase.com
    Scranton:
    Average Number of Clear Days: 70
    Average Number of Cloudy Days: 190

    Does PA have little to offer? That's a matter of opinion. Not fact. Lots to offer me.
    Full of stupid people? Another matter of opinion. No facts on that one.

    Just the facts.
    All the facts i stated were on WNEP (a station based out of NEPA) Technically Jim thorpe is considered part of NEPA. The state as a whole has a 15.6% old ppl. in NEPA i bet that rate is somewhere around 25% Philly, Pittsburg and State college have tons of young ppl for college so it totally skews the numbers as far as overall statistics. Think of this penn state has 45000 students or .3% of Pa's total population. Almost every person at penn state main is under 65(students that is) so that totally skews the overall number. And that does not include drexel, esu, CUP, IUP, PITT, Temple, Fairywood, U of S, Wilkes, etc. I would bet PA has prolly the most colleges per state. NY might be close but PA def has way too many colleges.

    Pa has alot to offer, NEPA on the other hand has the worst weather of the state. There was a study done by the weather service and due to global warming NEPA currently has the weather west virginia had 6 years ago. That was posted in the paper and WNEP.

    I personally moved out of PA because of the sh!tty weather. every day i had off it rained. When it snowed it also hailed and sleeted. and even sometimes rained.

  17. #17
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    some more facts for ya

    check this http://www.ems.psu.edu/PA_Climatolog...on/avplcd.html

    69.5 Days of Sun in Scranton(the heart of NEPA)

  18. #18
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.
    You post a reply with all the grammar skills of a third grade special-ed student and I'm an idiot?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)
    Old people are everywhere, and getting older every day. So what? By 2035 the 70-plus age group (nationwide) will more than double, from about 26 million last year to 57 million, according to Census Bureau estimates.

    Nobody is flocking to Pennsylvania after retirement in search of a geriatric paradise. The simple fact is that a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in Pennsylvania like it here and they don't move elsewhere after retirement.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone
    Umm, first of all, I wasn't 'flaming' him. I simply asked why he would stay in a place that had nothing to offer. Second, you really should take your own advice.

    According to the census bureau:

    Number of people aged 65 or older, by county:

    Montgomery County, PA: 113231. Total pop. = 766517. % of total pop. over 65 = 14.7%
    Carbon County, PA: 10,733. Total pop. = 59688. % of total over 65 = 18%
    Potter County, PA: 3024. Total pop. = 18217. % of total over 65 = 16.6%
    Monroe County, PA 17709. Total pop = 148839. % of total over 65 = 11.9%

    Palm Beach County, FL 265128. Total pop = 1,190,390. % of total over 65 = 22.3%

    I could list more counties individually, but lets look at the statewide totals, shall we?

    PENNSYLVANIA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 12,335,091
    65 and over: 1,908,962

    1908962 / 12335091 = 0.1547 * 100% = 15.47% over 65

    FLORIDA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 16,713,149
    65 and over: 2,854,838

    2,854,838 / 16,713,149 = .1708 * 100% = 17.08% over 65.

    I guess it's like they say, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any doubt."
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  19. #19
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    You post a reply with all the grammar skills of a third grade special-ed student and I'm an idiot?



    Old people are everywhere, and getting older every day. So what? By 2035 the 70-plus age group (nationwide) will more than double, from about 26 million last year to 57 million, according to Census Bureau estimates.

    Nobody is flocking to Pennsylvania after retirement in search of a geriatric paradise. The simple fact is that a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in Pennsylvania like it here and they don't move elsewhere after retirement.



    Umm, first of all, I wasn't 'flaming' him. I simply asked why he would stay in a place that had nothing to offer. Second, you really should take your own advice.

    According to the census bureau:

    Number of people aged 65 or older, by county:

    Montgomery County, PA: 113231. Total pop. = 766517. % of total pop. over 65 = 14.7%
    Carbon County, PA: 10,733. Total pop. = 59688. % of total over 65 = 18%
    Potter County, PA: 3024. Total pop. = 18217. % of total over 65 = 16.6%
    Monroe County, PA 17709. Total pop = 148839. % of total over 65 = 11.9%

    Palm Beach County, FL 265128. Total pop = 1,190,390. % of total over 65 = 22.3%

    I could list more counties individually, but lets look at the statewide totals, shall we?

    PENNSYLVANIA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 12,335,091
    65 and over: 1,908,962

    1908962 / 12335091 = 0.1547 * 100% = 15.47% over 65

    FLORIDA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 16,713,149
    65 and over: 2,854,838

    2,854,838 / 16,713,149 = .1708 * 100% = 17.08% over 65.

    I guess it's like they say, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool
    than to open one's mouth and remove any doubt."
    On a forum grammar and spelling are the Laest of my concrens.

    But anyways. Your forgot lackawana county. which has the highest amount of elderly ppl in pa.

  20. #20
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    All the facts i stated were on WNEP (a station based out of NEPA) Technically Jim thorpe is considered part of NEPA. The state as a whole has a 15.6% old ppl. in NEPA i bet that rate is somewhere around 25%
    Wrong. Carbon County = 18%

    Anyone can make up numbers. Do your homework, or continue looking like an ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Philly, Pittsburg and State college have tons of young ppl for college so it totally skews the numbers as far as overall statistics.
    They don't skew anything that matters. Your myopic view of the demographics and your twisted and/or fabricated view of the state as a whole is laughable.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Think of this penn state has 45000 students or .3% of Pa's total population. Almost every person at penn state main is under 65(students that is) so that totally skews the overall number. And that does not include drexel, esu, CUP, IUP, PITT, Temple, Fairywood, U of S, Wilkes, etc. I would bet PA has prolly the most colleges per state. NY might be close but PA def has way too many colleges.
    Maybe you should have attended one of those colleges. I don't even know where to start with this one. The simple fact of the matter is that your argument is flawed. As someone else stated, there are nearly 1 million more people over the age of 65 in FL than there are here. No matter how you massage the data, you can't change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Pa has alot to offer, NEPA on the other hand has the worst weather of the state. There was a study done by the weather service and due to global warming NEPA currently has the weather west virginia had 6 years ago. That was posted in the paper and WNEP.

    I personally moved out of PA because of the sh!tty weather. every day i had off it rained. When it snowed it also hailed and sleeted. and even sometimes rained.
    So we go from "old people" to weather as a reason not to like it here, eh? Interesting redirect, but some of us don't cry when it rains and the changing seasons are one of the best arguments for living in the northeast.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  21. #21
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Wrong. Carbon County = 18%

    Anyone can make up numbers. Do your homework, or continue looking like an ass.



    They don't skew anything that matters. Your myopic view of the demographics and your twisted and/or fabricated view of the state as a whole is laughable.



    Maybe you should have attended one of those colleges. I don't even know where to start with this one. The simple fact of the matter is that your argument is flawed. As someone else stated, there are nearly 1 million more people over the age of 65 in FL than there are here. No matter how you massage the data, you can't change that.



    So we go from "old people" to weather as a reason not to like it here, eh? Interesting redirect, but some of us don't cry when it rains and the changing seasons are one of the best arguments for living in the northeast.
    I was just wondering if you can read???

    i stated: NEPA HAS more old ppl per capita than florida. So if you do that math youd find im right. but im not gonna sit here and b!tch and moan. Anyways NEPA sucks. Hence why i moved. end of story

  22. #22
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    On a forum grammar and spelling are the Laest of my concrens.

    But anyways. Your forgot lackawana county. which has the highest amount of elderly ppl in pa.
    Actually, it doesn't. Lackawana county = 19.02% over age 65. Sullivan County = 22.23% (highest per capita rate in the state, with a whopping 1,441 people over age 65!)

    The old people are coming! The old people are coming! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  23. #23
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    All the facts i stated were on WNEP (a station based out of NEPA) Technically Jim thorpe is considered part of NEPA. The state as a whole has a 15.6% old ppl. in NEPA i bet that rate is somewhere around 25% Philly, Pittsburg and State college have tons of young ppl for college so it totally skews the numbers as far as overall statistics. Think of this penn state has 45000 students or .3% of Pa's total population. Almost every person at penn state main is under 65(students that is) so that totally skews the overall number. And that does not include drexel, esu, CUP, IUP, PITT, Temple, Fairywood, U of S, Wilkes, etc. I would bet PA has prolly the most colleges per state. NY might be close but PA def has way too many colleges.

    Pa has alot to offer, NEPA on the other hand has the worst weather of the state. There was a study done by the weather service and due to global warming NEPA currently has the weather west virginia had 6 years ago. That was posted in the paper and WNEP.

    I personally moved out of PA because of the sh!tty weather. every day i had off it rained. When it snowed it also hailed and sleeted. and even sometimes rained.
    Except colleges don't count toward the population. When a census is taken, it is of the residents. A college student from out of state is not a resident. Besides, don't other states (ie Florida) have colleges too? If you're going to use that argument compare the college student "population".
    Florida has 140 Degree-Granting Institutions.
    Total enrollment of 658,000 students.
    Non residents: 22,000

    Pennsylvania has 253 Degree-Granting Institutions.
    Total enrollment of 588,000 students.
    Non residents: 18,000
    http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/statab/sec04.pdf

    So by that argument the "old" population in Florida is even higher, while more of those "young" PA students actually do live in PA.

    Pennsylvania has the 3rd highest number of colleges. Obviously there is more offered here than geriatrics.

  24. #24
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    I was just wondering if you can read???
    In genereal? Yes. Your posts? Each one is more taxing than the last.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    i stated: NEPA HAS more old ppl per capita than florida. So if you do that math youd find im right.
    So, you're comparing one corner of PA to the entire state of Florida? Hardly an ideal comparison. How's this? Let's compare the top 5 counties from FL (i.e. those with the "oldest" populations) to the top 5 from Pennsylvania:

    FL -

    Charlotte County: 34% over age 65
    Highlands County: 32% over age 65
    Citrus County: 31% over age 65
    Sarasota County: 30% over age 65
    Indian River County: 28% over age 65

    PA -

    Sullivan County: 22% over age 65
    Forest County: 20%
    Schuylkill County: 19.5%
    Cambria County: 19.5%
    Cameron County 19.4%

    Now, ask yourself, what conclusions can we draw from this... hmmmm....

    1. Not only is Lackawana Cty not the oldest in PA, but it doesn't even make the top 5. Where'd you pull that 'fact' from?

    2. Only ONE of the top five is really in "NEPA" Two if you count Schuylkill County. The rest are all well west of Harrisburg.

    3. There's no contest between "NEPA" (or anywhere else in PA) and Florida when it comes to distribution of older people. No county in PA comes anywhere near 30%, while 4 of the top 5 meet or exceed that mark in Florida.

    Ah, yes. The classic "I know I'm wrong, but can't admit it, so I'll just flounder and type whatever comes to mind." closure.

    Classic.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  25. #25
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Actually, it doesn't. Lackawana county = 19.02% over age 65. Sullivan County = 22.23% (highest per capita rate in the state, with a whopping 1,441 people over age 65!)

    The old people are coming! The old people are coming! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Because im bored at work i felt like crunching the number you posted.
    In astonishment what i said was right Per Capita NEPA has more old ppl than florida

    All these numbers are from your prev posts

    Florida 17.08% old ppl

    Carbon cty 18%
    Sullivan 22%
    Schukill 19.5
    carbon 18 (jim thorpe area)
    monroe 11.9
    Lackawanna 19.02

    The avg of all those drum roll please..............
    18.07 which is above 17.08 so i was right thanks for backing me up guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sunday ride with dad (lots of pics)
    By Octane Rider in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 02:30 PM
  2. Poor Farms ride w/ pics.
    By crashedandburned in forum Passion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
  3. FINALLY Her first real ride with lots of pics!
    By crashedandburned in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 05:45 AM
  5. pics from Mililani ride
    By ArmySlowRdr in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •