mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Jim Thorpe Question

Is their anyway to connect with the Lehigh Gorge Trail from the State Game Lands entrance on top of the mountain on Route 93. I road from Rockport to Jim Thorpe and I did not see any access trails going up the mountain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here are two ways you could do it. These descriptions are old and the trails may not look like how I describe them anymore, it's been a while since I rode them. I mostly (used to) do these going down from the game lands to Jim Thorpe, going the opposite way they were fairly steep hike-a-bike's.

1. From the 2nd Game Lands parking lot go out to the power lines, make a left and, about two miles later, make a right onto the Uranium Road trail (trailhead just where the hill starts going up again). When this tees at an old dirt road (again, maybe two miles), make a left to go down the mountain, then a right to follow the RR tracks. After about 5 miles you'll hit the Lehigh Gorge, maybe 10 miles north of town: make a right.

2. Do the same as #1 but, when the Uranium Road trail tees at the dirt road, make a right onto the dirt road instead of a left. Follow this dirt road but keep your eyes peeled for trails to the left. You'll have to do a little exploring, but there's a dirt road leading down to the Gorge from there; it dumps you out near some junked earth-moving equipment if I remember it right. Make a right and you're heading back to town.

I hope that helps. The bike store in town (Blue Mtn Sports) probably has maps or guides, and can maybe suggest other trails or routes -- my first suggestion is a route I learned from a book I bought there years ago.