mtbr member
    May 2006

Jim Thorpe Pictures

Here are some shots of the "ledge crossing" on the upper section of Switchback trail. Does anyone actually ride across it?? I carried my bike across

My parents on the other side

Very narrow only a few inches at one point

Drop off the middle

This is from the top of Bob's Options or the trail leading to it, I don't really know the directions I had were very vague

This was alot steeper then it looks in the picture

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    You crossed the Hackenbrine mine. They blasted the rock out to mine the Coal.I guess by then the Switchback wasn't important!
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    You crossed the Hackenbrine mine. They blasted the rock out to mine the Coal.I guess by then the Switchback wasn't important!
    It probably wasn't the safest or smartest move, but at Mountain Bike Weekend our traditional Saturday Night midnight ride would usually include a side trip to go explore the mine -- you had to really duck at the entrance, but then it opens up and you could get a couple hundred yards in before it became impassable. One year, way in the back of the cave, we found bike tracks on the sandy floor...

sushi lover
    May 2006
    i would not ride across that ledge with my own bike... with someone else's and armor perhaps =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donxfive
    It probably wasn't the safest or smartest move, but at Mountain Bike Weekend our traditional Saturday Night midnight ride would usually include a side trip to go explore the mine -- you had to really duck at the entrance, but then it opens up and you could get a couple hundred yards in before it became impassable. One year, way in the back of the cave, we found bike tracks on the sandy floor...
    I would not be going in that tunnel, even if you were spelunking. It's fenced off for a reason, and that's because you can easily kill yourself with no warning. Gases emitted from the rock or coal and then build up there would be the primary culprit, (colorless, ororless, tasteless, they displace oxygen and you just pass out and die), secondarily would be unsupported rocks that fall from the roof and sides.

BTW, I have to be true to my first profession and say that does not look like an actual mine entrance. It looks like an auxillary drainage tunnel, or maybe lesser likely an auxilliary ventilation tunnel. All the evidence of mining on that hill appears to be from surface mining, not underground mining. It it were an actual mine entrance, you'd see piles of black waste rock and spilled coal nearby, and some old abandoned infrastructure, like narrow guage rails and ties, trestles, foundations, etc. very nearby. None of that is evident, so I think it was used for drainage.

mtbr member
    As far as Bob's option, I think you're on the wrong mtn. I say this because I've heard people refer to "Bob's Option" where the first ridge of "Twin Peaks" runs, because you're not obligated to do the rest of the ridge. The one I think is Bob's (in the old book refered to as Mauch Chunk Ridge) is when you hit the fire road at the top of TP, hang a right about 100 yards down the hill. It's marked off with a rock pile on the right. It'll take you to the Switchback by the stream. Short, yet fun! Fahn

mtbr member

correct

Locally that's known as the "vent shaft" and I have no reason to doubt that's actually what it was. A local guy was telling be that when he was a kid they would throw blasting caps in there and watch as all of the miners came running out the shaft on the other side of the hill! I don't think anyone has ridden the ledge, I'm tempted to take my trials bike up there sometime and give it a go. The comment about Bob's Option is also correct, it is on Mauch Chunk ridge, I just came down it at lunchtime and it's a little sketchy after all the rain we got yesterday. You might be talking about what's know as the "Wagon Road" down from Mount Pisgah.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bob from trek road the ledge 2 years ago at mountain bike weekend.first time he ever even saw it just blasted acoss ,and it was wet from rain.last year his chiklet toothed friend tried to show him up and made it alittle more than halfway.after a few beers we stitched up his elbow with the same needle and fishig line that i fixed my tent with. it made for a cool vid.

mtbr member
    I won't believe it till I see a video of someone riding it. I know good riders and great riders... Nobody will even consider it. As you can see in the pics, it's literally 4" wide at some points. Due to the steepness of the cliff, it seems impossible because your inside foot would be hitting the cliff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    at least 12 witnesses sorry no vid as it happened so fast and in retro bob said he probably would never try it again.but we'll see about that. seeing is believing.

mtbr member
    The reason I said that is cause I always hear someone say they rode it or know someone who did... But never when we're there.
    At MBW you had 1,000 riders and you always heard one or two people with the same story. "No dude, really! This guy came flyin' by us and rode right across it!" I'm not the worlds best rider. But I'd pay to see someone else do it.
    IDK, maybe people do ride it. I'd love to see a vid of them going the whole way across though. Fahn

Hey:

I thought about it a few times! I guess if you get a shot at it and coast it all the way across with out pedaling it can be done. Pedal reloading is shaky at best. Rather go for it instead of dropping off mid way due to stall. A sidehop bail is still a long way down.

It's funny we are talking about this. I just wonder why there has never been any warning sign or fence put there. I know when "one puts up a fence" they assume the responsibility! That thing is a major liability to the landowner.It's not the fact of riding it. Just carring your bike across and falling is bad. Would you jump off that with no bike?

Now that we garnered it with attention will Red Bull be there to do a ride it or die series? I'm on the phone with right now!

Be safe! Life is short! Get paid lots to ride before doing stupid stuff!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I get nervous walking across that thing, and having to carry a bike with you makes it even more dicey. I'm voting with the bloc that says I'll believe it what I see it (a vid) as to someone getting across it on a bike. But even watching someone in person would be scary, almost like you'd be watching one of those "World's Scariest Crashes" videos in the making.

The "vent shaft" name sounds like local slang, because a shaft implies something that goes straight down into the ground vertically (like an elevator shaft), and a slope goes into the ground at an angle, and a drift, adit or tunnel goes in horizontally. BTW, Prof. Cycle, I can't locate any reference to a mine named Hackenbrine, where do you know that from?

rider
    Ride across that ledge?? We've taken some fake pics but I don't see how it can be done after walking across it in fear dozens of times. Let's see the proof!

To all:

Our Past remains our Present! Thanks to all the miners who gave us the energy to progress. Many members of my family were miners.

Sorry I either butcherd the name or mixed it up with the area near Nanty Glo where my Uncle Gil mined Coal! "HACKELBERNIE" Not Hackenbrine. Sorry, Uncle Gil rest in peace!

Gentlemen for you:

http://home.stny.rr.com/wniehoff/sbsim.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ers/hklbrn.htm

http://www.tccweb.org/penncoal.htm

Names tie us all together! We ride MTBs together and our ancestors probaly worked side by side on or in the same ground!

Enjoy

The Mouse on the Barroom Floor

Some Guinness was spilled on the barroom floor
    when the pub was shut for the night.
    Out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse
    and stood in the pale moonlight.
    He lapped up the frothy brew from the floor,
    then back on his haunches he sat.
    And all night long you could hear him roar,

'Bring on the goddam cat!'
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

Bob's option

Can that still be accessed by going in at the very top of the road climb? Cross road at top of Flagstaff, up and left and out through psycho betty to mauch chunk ridge???

mtbr member
    Anybody know if the church in Summit Ville is doing their breakfast this year?

mtbr member
    Since there is no MBW, I doubt it....
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thorpe Trails
    Since there is no MBW, I doubt it....
    I'm silently shaking my head at my computer at work.... I've been pretty sad the past week or so.... That event was always one of the single best weekends every year.