mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Jim Thorpe - Guide, maps

It's been 6+ years since I was here last and it was awesome. I know lots of stuff is now closed and we are bummed too. Is anyone interested in guiding us to the best "legal" stuff available? (we are willing to pay) We are looking for rocky technical trails, not looking for rail trails or double track. If this is not possible, anyone have good maps they can PM me. We will be up Oct 12 & 13. We are advanced intermediate level riders. Also, when exactly is hunting season up here?

Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    We did an epic there yesterday,Pisgah and Flagstaff from the lake.I heard there is a local guy who guides,call the bike shop in town might be able to help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I called Blue Mountain Sports today. They didn't have much time to talk but told me that everything is actually open and is no problem to ride. He made it sound like it is a myth that the trails are closed. Is this true? Anyone been caught or fined?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have heard that to but never had any issues over the years.actually there is much more trail if you no where to go.rode dirt bike for years in and around Thorpe.some sweet single,at St Clair,New Philly,Delano big area and all can be connected if you your way around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The photocopied maps that they give out are unreadable and useless.

if you want rocky single track near Jim Thorpe check out my thread here Project Poconos see page 2 Broad Mountain Area if you want the GPS data PM me. This area is 15 minutes from Jim Thorpe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Some really sweet on Pisgah side. Looks like 4 wheelers dumb down 1 ridge line cut trees down widen and filled in gaps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Dave, hunting season will be in full bore that time a year. If you want you probably can ride it on a sunday. I live about 20 minutes from the broad mnt. If you want we could meet and ride the Coal Cracker Classic or what I call the Mary-d Standard (my back yard riding).
    Ron

mtbr member
    You are good to go for what you are looking for. There are dozens of miles of rail trail along the Lehigh river. You can also ride the switchback trail. Both are nice smooth non technical rides. You can also ride the broad mt loop, but Sunday only during that time of year. It is a bit more of a thrill than rail trail, but has some climbing and is not very technical. It has some small water crossings and really awesome vistas.

FYI, BLue mt sports may have mid led you to some degree. All singletrack on state game lands are closed, but that's not what you are looking for anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    We rode there 2 weeks ago...Epic, we had a local as a trail guide. Did about 21 miles.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Dave,

I am a and one of the only local JT riders. I am unavailable to ride with you on those dates, but can offer you some GPS data from my Garmin page. Currently it is hunting season and riding on the Broad Mtn will run you into some hunters, definitely on Saturday. If you are in town on Thursday night, we have a local night ride that leaves from the train station at 6pm.

For future reference, I will guide any intermediate to pro level riders on an all killer no filler JT ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the offer, I found a long lost friend that is going to guide us on Friday. We will probably ride at Salisbury on Saturday to avoid the hunters.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Salisbury is a great network of trails, have fun!

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Riding an American Standard

This trip report from my ride there a couple of months ago has good GPS tracks of the American Standard trail and the trail network across the road from the trails.

The first GPS link in my post describes the trail head well enough that even I could find it.

my church is the woods
    I'll be in JT this weekend for some paddling and riding. Looking for anyone to ride on Sunday to do 3 + - hours of JT area trails.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    Moonraker,

I am riding on Sunday with some of endurance racing buddies on the Broad Mtn. We plan on riding mostly singletrack for 6+ hours, but can get you back in the direction of your car after 3 or so hours. The pace is pretty brisk and the trails are super technical. PM me if this sounds like something you may be into.