Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: onegeargood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    170

    Jim Thorpe conditions?

    Has anyone been there to ride lately?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Not at JT but rode at Sals on South Mountain between Allentown and Bethlehem Sat. morning and this morning. A little lower elevation and further southeast which actually picked up more snow in the last few storms than JT. Basically 4.5" there which took a few days riding before it was packed enough to be fun. Even then studs would help due to Sals having some switchbacking-type climbs . . .

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    I rode Broad Mountain Loop last Sunday- like the day or so after the snow? We were the first people out, and there was roughly 4-5" on top of residual snow/ice/mud. It was mostly just a plow through powder, quite the workout. Granted, that was a week ago, and in that week time I imagine either melting went on so now it's a sloppy, muddy mess like a few weeks ago (which was real fun but real wet), or maybe it's hardpack snow, which is also fun.

    I am probably going up there again this coming Sunday, so if I do I will report- the other alternative, which I am hoping doesn't happen, is that it melted and then completely froze again. Last year this happened, like the second half of the 10-11 mile loop was just solid, rolling sheet ice. It took me hourrrrs to skate across it, continuing the loop back to the car. Imagine wearing stiff SPD shoes, pushing/pulling a bike, for 5 miles, UP and down and sideways on super slick ice. SUCKED, haha

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    I rode Broad Mountain Loop last Sunday- like the day or so after the snow? We were the first people out, and there was roughly 4-5" on top of residual snow/ice/mud. It was mostly just a plow through powder, quite the workout. Granted, that was a week ago, and in that week time I imagine either melting went on so now it's a sloppy, muddy mess like a few weeks ago (which was real fun but real wet), or maybe it's hardpack snow, which is also fun.

    I am probably going up there again this coming Sunday, so if I do I will report- the other alternative, which I am hoping doesn't happen, is that it melted and then completely froze again. Last year this happened, like the second half of the 10-11 mile loop was just solid, rolling sheet ice. It took me hourrrrs to skate across it, continuing the loop back to the car. Imagine wearing stiff SPD shoes, pushing/pulling a bike, for 5 miles, UP and down and sideways on super slick ice. SUCKED, haha

    Well, watch out. Tonight/tomorrow 1-3" of snow/sleet and a lot of freezing rain followed by the potential for a medium-sized snowfall Thursday night/Friday morning. Then supercold next week to lock in all that slop for next week.

    I managed to fight through everything so far this winter (without a Pug ) but this might cause me to lose a few days.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Yeah I learned about the snow tomorrow right after I posted that, haha.

    That stinks, well it will stink if everything gets icey.

    I always want to spring for some Nokian Extreme 294's or similar but can't part with the coin for the roughly 3 times a year I'd actually need them. I have studded Continentals on my 26" Cannondale but the studs are only along the outside knobs, not the center knobs, so they only help when turning (and barely).

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Jim Thorpe is absolutely unrideable right now (at least by my sampling of the Broad Mtn Loop today).

    Its about 5 inches of thick powder with a crusty layer, on top of another few inches of slightly more packed snow, on top of ice or something, but it just swallows you and doesn't allow you to go forward. We managed to go a little by riding in the tire tracks of a truck, until his path ended, and even that was terrible because the walls were frozen and if a pedal hooked them it just yanked you to the side and game over.

    Ohhhh well, lol.

    Seems good for XC skiing, and a few people were rocking some snowshoes today too

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,315
    Well, not much different at Nockamixon today either. Five of us were there hiking out a new trail loop through some really cool woods area that we'll flag and corridor-clear in the weeks to come once the snow melts. Existing trails not much different then at JT (or Sals from what I hear from another VMB member living near there) which sucks because I usually bring my rig to do some riding before or afterwards.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    Posted this in anoher thread, belongs here though.

    I drive through here every day. Stopped at the parking areas on the Broad Mt today, and the double track from the lots are still covered with a few inches of ice and snow. So it's probably unridable up there. Even when the trails look clear from the parking lots, the farther reaches of the loop that are shaded or north facing will still be unridable, probably well into spring.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Last weekend Broad Mtn was partially rideable by fatbike but even still I had to abandon my efforts, well before the power lines. Shame because the week prior, before the last snow, it had a packed layer of at least 6 inches of snow that was perfect for my Pugsley, but the last snow and rains changed that. Maybe in another week. Non-fatbike stay away though, not worth the drive at alllllll

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    If you are planning a trip to the broad mountain, pack waders or a canoe. There is flowing water on the double track from each parking lot, and I can still see snow on the trails. Range road and the forest in general are also under a lot of water. It's not often I see that much water up there. Maybe twice in 8 years of commuting. Trails will be mucky for a while.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    370
    Ant idea on how the switchback is? I'm thinking it might be a little better.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79
    If you are planning a trip to the broad mountain, pack waders or a canoe. There is flowing water on the double track from each parking lot, and I can still see snow on the trails. Range road and the forest in general are also under a lot of water. It's not often I see that much water up there. Maybe twice in 8 years of commuting. Trails will be mucky for a while.
    Thank for the update, I came on here to ask because we were thinking about driving up from Allentown this weekend. Guess not. Snow is ok but not flowing water the whole way around lol

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    I haven't ridden up there, but walked a bit out the trail. Still some water flowing, though not as much as last friday. It's definitely going to be wet on the trails. should dry up some by the weekend. If I have time after work one day, I'll try to take a short ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    BTW, I believe VMB is planning a Broad Mountain ride on the 27th from 9:30 - 2:30.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64
    Ant idea on how the switchback is? I'm thinking it might be a little better.
    No idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were washouts. The Hazleton rail trail took a beating.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79
    BTW, I believe VMB is planning a Broad Mountain ride on the 27th from 9:30 - 2:30.
    Yeah I saw their ride on the calendar- we might be going up this weekend instead. Friend bought a new Gary Fisher Rumblefish I and we are trying to get the rear suspension dialed in and might head up there to play around with it as it's one of the few places where we don't have to worry about making mud ruts in the trails. If you happen to get up there before Sunday and can post an update that'd be fantastic. If not no big deal

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,412
    Anyone have a report after this week's slop? Think it will be good by Sunday or best to look elsewhere?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: koval79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    136
    It's not looking good unless you like to ride in snow, a few inches on the ground.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,223
    Is it soft snow or like a hard crust? That potentially sucks. Hmm

  20. #20
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    753
    Anyone have an update on conditions for the various trails that shall remain nameless on Broad Mountain?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28
    On Saturday I rode from the Opera House Hill Parking lot through the Rhododendron Trail, up 93, out to the Toilet, Deer Path / Pine Tar, down to the Gorge and back. Never saw so much erosion on Broad Mtn. Avoided as much of the marshy areas as possible. Some of the sections were spongy. Some sections of single track had a bit of running water in them. Speeds were a bit slower, but all in all it was good to get a nice long Thorpe ride in. Saw a cool porcupine round dusk.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: XCProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    332

    I've seen them too....

    Quote Originally Posted by dodcey
    Saw a cool porcupine round dusk.
    ...I've seen those spiny crittes feeding high up on the trees. Amazing balance for such a wide load.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •